Some questions about FEL Editions (First Edition Library)

welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,295MI6 Agent
I was thinking about picking up some hardcover Fleming books, really like the original artwork etc however for the price and condition of some of the vintage ones etc the FEL books look really neat and will be in super condition (I like things pretty much in great condition). Also I notice many repro covers are doing the rounds on eBay which again sways me towards the FEL books!

I notice the odd mint or sealed FEL copy pop up on eBay (some on Amazon marketplace too) for a fairly good price now and then.

Now I was not intending to purchase the lot in one go but just to pick a decent condition copy up (one every few months etc over a long period of time) however how many times were they published? More importantly and I guess my main question is do the different publishing years look diff, diff size etc (apart from the year published text obviously) therefore if they are different I would have to be more selective, if identical then I can just go ahead and purchase any with no worries

Any advice much appreciated!
Instagram - bondclothes007

Comments

• perdoggperdogg Posts: 432MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    I was thinking about picking up some hardcover Fleming books, really like the original artwork etc however for the price and condition of some of the vintage ones etc the FEL books look really neat and will be in super condition (I like things pretty much in great condition). Also I notice many repro covers are doing the rounds on eBay which again sways me towards the FEL books!

I notice the odd mint or sealed FEL copy pop up on eBay (some on Amazon marketplace too) for a fairly good price now and then.

Now I was not intending to purchase the lot in one go but just to pick a decent condition copy up (one every few months etc over a long period of time) however how many times were they published? More importantly and I guess my main question is do the different publishing years look diff, diff size etc (apart from the year published text obviously) therefore if they are different I would have to be more selective, if identical then I can just go ahead and purchase any with no worries

I have a few of them in my collection, be prepared to spend some money. I actually found a new Moonraker. The best place to search is Abe Books.

http://www.abebooks.com/ or http://www.abebooks.co.uk/
    "And if I told you that I'm from the Ministry of Defence?" James Bond - The Property of a Lady
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,295MI6 Agent
    perdogg wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:

I have a few of them in my collection, be prepared to spend some money. I actually found a new Moonraker. The best place to search is Abe Books.

Cheers for the info, I have found a fair few still sealed via Amazon Marketplace (incudes Abebooks), I had 8 in my checkout cart however just put on hold as in discussions with somebody about buying their complete set (fingers crossed).

Pretty gutting as last month one had a buy it now on eBay for $350 which I gather is a price that is unlikely to appear again lol
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    I have the full set that I bought when they were originally available. All of them still in the original plastic shrink wrap seal except for one. I opened the shrink wrap on one to give it the once over. Never cracked the spine though or read it. All still in first rate condition. Well worth it as far as I'm concerned. After all, the books were the basis for all that is Bond today.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
    I have the full set that I bought when they were originally available. All of them still in the original plastic shrink wrap seal except for one. I opened the shrink wrap on one to give it the once over. Never cracked the spine though or read it. All still in first rate condition. Well worth it as far as I'm concerned. After all, the books were the basis for all that is Bond today.

DG

Yeah they sure look nice and the next best thing to the original!!! I must admit I intend to read mine (carefully though) :)
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,654MI6 Agent
    At about $30 to $40 a pop, I bought only the first 3, CR, LALD and MR, because the Jonathan Cape first editions of these (though my collection is of the "umteeth" printings of the 1st ed) complete with their original dustjackets are nearly impossible to find at reasonable prices, so I got the facsimilies basically for the dustjackets for the 1st editions of those 3 novels that I have. I did spot checks inside and compared the printings between facsimile vs. original (comparing lines, spacing, etc. on random pages) and based on these unscientific samplings of mine, they are basically identical and true facsimilies of the originals, except for the inside title pages that have the additional annotations of the "First Edition Library" printings.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    superado wrote:
    At about $30 to $40 a pop, I bought only the first 3, CR, LALD and MR, because the Jonathan Cape first editions of these (though my collection is of the "umteeth" printings of the 1st ed) complete with their original dustjackets are nearly impossible to find at reasonable prices, so I got the facsimilies basically for the dustjackets for the 1st editions of those 3 novels that I have. I did spot checks inside and compared the printings between facsimile vs. original (comparing lines, spacing, etc. on random pages) and based on these unscientific samplings of mine, they are basically identical and true facsimilies of the originals, except for the inside title pages that have the additional annotations of the "First Edition Library" printings.

Spot on, the first three Bond novels are indeed the most sought after and extremely pricey to purchase as first editions particularly these days. I have some Fleming Bond first editions including some American firsts, but I could not pass up the opportunity to obtain a complete authorized facsimile set replete with dustjackets. My go to Bond books for actual reading are the musty, yellowed Signets that my grandmother bought for me long ago at a used book store in New York City for what amounted to spare change. Purchased in the early 1970's because of my fascination with the cinematic Bond (Mr. Connery), they remain my favorites. I love the smell of them, the crisp yellow pages and the cover art. To me they are priceless.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • RWIG45RWIG45 Posts: 39MI6 Agent
    I want the entire FEL set but can't get a decent price anywhere. I missed a set on ebay for $750 for all 14 but they wanted $63 just for shipping!

Randy
    welshboy78 wrote:
    perdogg wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:

Cheers for the info, I have found a fair few still sealed via Amazon Marketplace (incudes Abebooks), I had 8 in my checkout cart however just put on hold as in discussions with somebody about buying their complete set (fingers crossed).

Pretty gutting as last month one had a buy it now on eBay for $350 which I gather is a price that is unlikely to appear again lol

What is the point of having them if you are only going to leave them sealed up? I just got the 2005 Easton Press books (some of them anyway) and the first thing I did was open every one and look through them. I am reading MOONRAKER now. For the 3rd or 4th time since I discovered Fleming in the early 1980's. I would love to have the FEL set. I have 2 of them ordered and hope they show up today. If they are still sealed they won't be once I get them out of the packing boxes. :)

Randy
    superado wrote:

Spot on, the first three Bond novels are indeed the most sought after and extremely pricey to purchase as first editions particularly these days. I have some Fleming Bond first editions including some American firsts, but I could not pass up the opportunity to obtain a complete authorized facsimile set replete with dustjackets. My go to Bond books for actual reading are the musty, yellowed Signets that my grandmother bought for me long ago at a used book store in New York City for what amounted to spare change. Purchased in the early 1970's because of my fascination with the cinematic Bond (Mr. Connery), they remain my favorites. I love the smell of them, the crisp yellow pages and the cover art. To me they are priceless.

DG

I got my Signets at a yard sale while on vacation for 10 cents each. Most are in the 20 something printings. LOL and I got them in 1980 or 1981. Sadly, due to visual difficulties I can no longer read the print in the old Signet editions.

Randy

I got all the Bonds (except Octopuusy) on Kindle but it just doesn't feel the same reading those. You don't get the true feeling of reading Bond on a e-reader. You have to have that print copy in hand and turn the pages rather than scrolling along through it. That is me anyway.

Randy
    Randy

The reason why I prefer sealed is not to keep them sealed but simply so that they are in super condition to start with (I like to have and keep my stuff in pristine condition)
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Randy

The reason why I prefer sealed is not to keep them sealed but simply so that they are in super condition to start with (I like to have and keep my stuff in pristine condition)

I didn't mean to sound nasty or judgmental. I am also a major OCD case about keeping my books as perfect as possible. I buy the sheets of library style dust jacket covers and try to make sure every hardcover gets covered and I move things around and often use my comic book sleeves to put the rarest HCs and PBs.
    Sorry if I insulted you, good sir.

Randy
    No not insulted at all!!

I am also not one to collect something without using or wearing etc. Just like everything in tip top condition!!

PS - never did get the FEL collection. I ordered quite a few of the titles individually but cancelled as the whole set pops up now and then for a good price.
    welshboy78 wrote:
    No not insulted at all!!

I am also not one to collect something without using or wearing etc. Just like everything in tip top condition!!

PS - never did get the FEL collection. I ordered quite a few of the titles individually but cancelled as the whole set pops up now and then for a good price.

I got in my first FEL today but will be returning it because the seller didn't mention there was no slipcase to go with it, yet the picture with the listing showed it IN a slipcase. Very disappointed.

I am glad I didn't insult you. I was in a very poor mood this morning and feeling a bit puckish at best. better mood now, but life isn't always fun.

I have seen the FEL sets but the cheapest was $350 and I didn't have the money for it. :(
    I so another set for $750 but this person wanted $63 just for shipping and he would only take Paypal. Still no money for it. I shall keep trying though.

Randy
    Well, my second F.E.L. came in today. It is a beautiful copy of YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE and it did have it's clip case. These things are getting hard to find and very expensive to get.

Randy
    RWIG45 wrote:
    Well, my second F.E.L. came in today. It is a beautiful copy of YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE and it did have it's clip case. These things are getting hard to find and very expensive to get.

Randy

Congrats - How many do you have now???

Think I might try to hunt down some more or a set for Xmas and read over the holiday!
    welshboy78 wrote:
    RWIG45 wrote:

Randy

Congrats - How many do you have now???

Think I might try to hunt down some more or a set for Xmas and read over the holiday!

2 at the moment. YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE & FOR YOUR EYES ONLY. My copy of FYEO arrived without a slipcase so I have to find one for it.
    I have had better luck with the Easton Press leather bound set. I am now only missing 2 from it.

Randy