Menial picky question on the chain of command

minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
We all know that M is the top of the tree, and Q is head of Q Branch, so why does Tanner as Chief of Staff refer to Q as 'Sir'?
'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
www.helpforheroes.org.uk
www.cancerresearchuk.org

Comments

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,697MI6 Agent
    Out of politeness, even though he's of course second only to M herself?
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Maybe just being formal - Just a guess
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,697MI6 Agent
    Yes, guesswork is all we have to go on with these types of moments from the James Bond films, I think it's very safe to say!
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • MANDY1MANDY1 TISPosts: 2,608MI6 Agent
    I bet Tanner ain't referring to new Q's military rank ;) Just politeness and professional courtesy i guess...
    Knowing who to trust is Everything in this business.

TIS - "The moment you think you got it figured - you're wrong"

Formerly known as Teppo
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Lol I just thought it would have been better for Tanner to call Q 'Q' instead of 'Sir'.

And yes, I realise I should stop being such a picky little bitch.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • BodieBodie Posts: 211MI6 Agent
    In the novels Tanner is M's Chief of Staff and effectively second in command of MI6. In relatity the second in command of MI6 is called the Deputy Director. The movies have never been explicit about Tanner's function. He seems more like M's PA.

In TMWTGG there is a character referred to as Chief of Staff but no mention is made of him being called Tanner.

In FYEO Tanner briefs Bond while M is on leave so would assume he is M's number 2.

In GE Tanner is obviously senior but no indication of him being M's second in command.

In TND Tanner is replaced by Robinson (as Michael Kitchen was not available) who appears to perform the same function as Tanner.

In TWINE we have both Tanner and Robinson who again seem to act more as assistants.

CR gave us Menzies who again seems like M's PA. With QOS out went Menzies and back in came Tanner essentially as M's briefcase carrier.

Tanner/Robinson/Menzies essentially seem to be the same character with a different name. It is only in FYEO that Tanner acts in the capacity as written by Fleming.

In the novels Bill Tanner is also Bond's best friend in the service but the only movie that shows any thing like friendship between Bond and Tanner is GE.

Just another example of the producers not following the continuity of the novels.
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 1,026MI6 Agent
    Another question while we're on the topic: Why would M as the head of the SIS have personal tactical command over any mission performed by any operator/operators of the intelligence service? What I mean is that scene in Skyfall where Bond and Eve run in loops after a stolen hard drive and M screams in front of a table top telephone is just ridiculous. Sir Miles Messervy would never have sunk so low, even if he'd had the technology available.
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    0073 wrote:
    Another question while we're on the topic: Why would M as the head of the SIS have personal tactical command over any mission performed by any operator/operators of the intelligence service? What I mean is that scene in Skyfall where Bond and Eve run in loops after a stolen hard drive and M screams in front of a table top telephone is just ridiculous. Sir Miles Messervy would never have sunk so low, even if he'd had the technology available.

Exactly..I've mentioned this in other posts. That whole radio big brother schtick would not happen. Bond is an agent..not a member of a SEAL Team on a live mission.
  • Aston Martin DBSAston Martin DBS Derbyshire, EnglandPosts: 659MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:
    Lol I just thought it would have been better for Tanner to call Q 'Q' instead of 'Sir'.

I think if you watch the scene again Tanner is saying "Sir" to Mallory who he has just seenenter the room whilst "Q" has his back to him.
    "NEVER SAY NO TO ADVENTURES." Ian Fleming
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:

I think if you watch the scene again Tanner is saying "Sir" to Mallory who he has just seenenter the room whilst "Q" has his back to him.

Ahhhhh, my bad :))
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org