M's Final Dialogue

ZorinIndustriesZorinIndustries United StatesPosts: 837MI6 Agent
I'm having trouble understanding what's said between James and M.

"I suppose it's too late to run for it."

What does Bond say next?

M responds, "Well, I did get one thing right."

Is this in regard to "an example of British fortitude?"
"Better luck next time... slugheads!"

1. GoldenEye 2. Goldfinger 3. Skyfall 4. OHMSS 5. TWINE

Comments

• Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    I don't know the exact lines, but I'm pretty sure she was telling Bond that she was right to follow her gut and stand by him for all these years, especially in trusting him to come back in the field against Silva. He proved to her that she chose right.
  • LetTheSkyfallLetTheSkyfall Southern CaliforniaPosts: 15MI6 Agent
    Bond says something like "I'm game if you are."

I believe M saying "At least I got one thing right." is referring to M trusting in Bond and passing him for field duty even though he failed the tests.
  • TheundeadkennedyTheundeadkennedy Posts: 292MI6 Agent
    It came off very motherly to me. She had "raised" Silva and Bond as spies. Silva refers to her as mother. Bond was the one thing she got right, Silva being the thing she got wrong. My take anyways.
  • ZorinIndustriesZorinIndustries United StatesPosts: 837MI6 Agent
    Hmm great thoughts! Thanks for clearing it up everyone :)
    "Better luck next time... slugheads!"

1. GoldenEye 2. Goldfinger 3. Skyfall 4. OHMSS 5. TWINE
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Has Dench discussed in the media about her "bumping off"

Was wondering if she maybe wanted to retire or was pushed or mutually agreed etc
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • 96mn1296mn12 Posts: 632MI6 Agent
    contract ran out, simply didnt renewed it and walked away.
  • Blood_StoneBlood_Stone Posts: 183MI6 Agent
    She had to give up the role as she's starting to lose her eyesight, but it worked out for the better. Skyfall was the 50th anniversary film. You knew something big had to happen.
  • StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent
    I think she was referring to how she made Bond. Double-O in CR. in CR she says that she thought it was too early to promote Bond after he'd broken into her flat. As she is dyeing, she realised that shed for that right!

Ahhhhhhhh, poor Em!
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:

Was wondering if she maybe wanted to retire or was pushed or mutually agreed etc

Dame Judi Dench is on the Graham Norton show tonight on BBC One at 10.35pm. She tells Norton that she was informed of M's demise in a meeting with producer Barbara Broccoli and Daniel Craig. She thought it was a nice chance meeting to have a cup of coffee, "but it was straight in my face. It wasn't broken to me gently. I put a very brave face on it and didn't tell anyone at all."

The FULL article.
    Dame Judi Dench 'put on a brave face' over Bond exit
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/381202/Dame-Judi-Dench-put-on-a-brave-face-over-Bond-exit
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent
    Moore Than wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:

Dame Judi Dench is on the Graham Norton show tonight on BBC One at 10.35pm. She tells Norton that she was informed of M's demise in a meeting with producer Barbara Broccoli and Daniel Craig. She thought it was a nice chance meeting to have a cup of coffee, "but it was straight in my face. It wasn't broken to me gently. I put a very brave face on it and didn't tell anyone at all."

The FULL article.
    Dame Judi Dench 'put on a brave face' over Bond exit
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbiz/381202/Dame-Judi-Dench-put-on-a-brave-face-over-Bond-exit

All this time I was hoping she had asked them to find a way to let her depart after so many years. Didn't realize it was something they wrote up and told her. I hope they did it because she had been implying to them that she was ready for an exit, but that isn't how it sounds. At least she thought it was a valuable plot point and I think this film was a good time to make changes.