Did EON try to take Dalton's Bond down a peg?

124»

Comments

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    sorry to disappoint you guys.

I am not saying and have never said that anyone at EON axed Dalton.
    Don't mix me up with the OP or other people who spread myths and legends.

I am saying that the responsible persons where unhappy with the performance of the movies and with the audience acceptance.
    So, after all that lawsuit was over and planings for GE went into a serious state _ I am sure that there was a respectful (and I mean it) talk with Dalton, that it may be better to change horses and gave him the opportunity to be the one to leave.

That's what gentlemen are doing in such a case and I have no doubt that something similar happened.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,062MI6 Agent
    "That family puts their heart into these movies and they take pride in them, and it's worked. It's worked for 50 years," -Timothy Dalton, November 2012
    http://www.examiner.com/article/007-q-a-timothy-dalton-talks-bond-at-50-makes-prediction-for-skyfall

In 1994 Dalton turned fifty. He's said that Bond was in his late thirties to forties. He talks wonderfully about EON.
    Any competent person can draw the correct conclusions from this. :D
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • Nick37Nick37 Posts: 270MI6 Agent
    edited February 2013
    "I am saying that the responsible persons where unhappy with the performance of the movies and with the audience acceptance.
    So, after all that lawsuit was over and planings for GE went into a serious state _ I am sure that there was a respectful (and I mean it) talk with Dalton, that it may be better to change horses and gave him the opportunity to be the one to leave.

That's what gentlemen are doing in such a case and I have no doubt that something similar happened."

I have to ask. Responsible persons? Who? is there a list of these persons that so totally hated Dalton's Bond? is there any proof whatsover, besides your inference, that "after all that lawsuit was over and planings for GE went into a serious state _ I am sure that there was a respectful (and I mean it) talk with Dalton, that it may be better to change horses and gave him the opportunity to be the one to leave."

Dalton resigned on the set of the movie "Scarlett". Are you suggesting the studio heads came to the set of "Scarlett" to have this talk with Dalton? Were you there? I know I wasn't. Do you have any information, or multiple sources to confirm that they respectfully suggested it might be nice for Dalton to leave gracefully? And why, in all these years has Dalton not said, "Yeah, I would have done a third one, but They suggested it might be time for me to leave, so I did." I don't see any reason for him to cover it up.

Please. We're all ears. Half-truths and myths indeed. It seems to me your dislike of Dalton leads you to post anything you feel like will undermine his performance or will make it seem like he was roundly hated by everyone in the world in 1987-89.

Maybe I'm totally wrong, but it seems like every time one of us has praise for Dalton, you immediately pop up and throw in our faces information that's supposed to prove how wrong we are. If I'm way off-base, then I apologize.

I think the man is stellar, but even I have admitted in other threads that while he's my favorite, he's not as cool as Connery. Ideally, Connery IS the best James Bond. Nevertheless, my personal choosing is Dalton, and I've made it clear it's my personal choosing.
    "I've had a few...Optional extras installed."
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,062MI6 Agent
    Nick37 wrote:
    It seems to me your dislike of Dalton leads you to post anything you feel like will undermine his performance or will make it seem like he was roundly hated by everyone in the world in 1987-89.
    I don't even get that. EVERY actor has done at least ONE Bond film I either cherish or just like a whole lot. How can you dislike any of them??
    I could see maybe 'not caring' for a particular actor... ?:)
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    And one other thing Bondtoys. I've never stated my OP on this subject was fact. I created a topic on a JAMES BOND DISCUSSION FORUM asking about it, and asking for others opinions. You know, so it could be "Discussed" on a "Discussion forum". Is that not what this site is for?

I've given MY OWN opinion on a number of threads on here. I've tried to back it up with information I think is relevant, but I wasn't on the set of "Licence to Kill", so I don't know, and never HAVE said I know, that the wardrobe and hair and makeup people purposely did some things to make Dalton look bad.

I said, in my original post on this thread, that the information I was providing and commenting on was taken second hand from another thread on this site, and on another website. I've never claimed it to be gospel, and I don't like your inference that I ever have.

I even apologized to you for comments between us that you took offense too, and deleted the comments that you didn't like. I'm doing everything in my power to keep things civil, given the fact that you can't stand Dalton (So it seems to me...Maybe I'm wrong), and I think he's the best there ever was. So please, I don't like comments saying I'm trying to force my opinion to be fact. Other posters on this site can read my ideas, and agree or disagree as they choose. I'm not trying to change their mind about who's the best Bond any more than they'll change my mind.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited February 2013
    Sorry, people, this all gets a little weird.

I'll not go further into further discussions as they tend to escalate - particularly with the Dalton fraction.

I stand with what I have said, every word - and yes - I don't like Dalton and his performance.

You guys have fun praising and singing Dalton gospel and ignore what parts (and not small ones) of the audience felt.

And:
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Both Dalton movies did not go well on the box office - anything more is mythbuilding.

Cheers :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    edited February 2013
    Well, I must say I'm confused. As I stated, I'm not only trying to be civil, I even apologized after we had an earlier disagreement. What else can I do, sir? I'm all for discussion, but it seems as though anyone who doesn't agree with your opinion is either wrong, lying, or "Mythbuilding".

So, after apologizing, and attempting to have a rational debate with you, what else do you suggest I do to promote civil discourse, other than unquestioningly agreeing with whatever you have to say about Dalton, his films, and his performance, because that I cannot do.
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Sorry, people, this all gets a little weird.

I'll not go further into further discussions as they tend to escalate - particularly with the Dalton fraction.

I stand with what I have said, every word - and yes - I don't like Dalton and his performance.

You guys have fun praising and singing Dalton gospel and ignore what parts (and not small ones) of the audience felt.

And:
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Both Dalton movies did not go well on the box office - anything more is mythbuilding.

Cheers :D

It's a tad insulting to label anyone who likes Dalton as a faction incapable of reasoned discussion.
    For me Dalton is by far the best Bond we have had to date, but I can accept not necessarily the best films. I also agree that he never truly ignited the public imagination. I see him very much as the right Bond at the wrong time. I also appreciate that his portrayal divides opinion in a similar way that DC does today.