Inconsistencies?

LoGabrielleLoGabrielle IrelandPosts: 111MI6 Agent
Not sure if this has been mentioned before but in Tomorrow Never Dies, Carver's men try everything to get into the BMW; they shoot at it and even take a sledge hammer to the windows but there isn't even a dent... then when James is back-seat driving a few shots put out both the front and rear windows. Is it just inpregnable when it's locked or was it just a mistake?
"You were fantastic! We're free!"
"Kara, we're inside a Russian airbase in the middle of Afghanistan."

Comments

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,700MI6 Agent
    I think that a bazooka put out the windows in the TND BMW remote-controlled car scene, but I'd have to check the film again as I may be wrong about this!
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • DutchfingerDutchfinger Holland With LovePosts: 1,240MI6 Agent
    Not sure if this has been mentioned before but in Tomorrow Never Dies, Carver's men try everything to get into the BMW; they shoot at it and even take a sledge hammer to the windows but there isn't even a dent... then when James is back-seat driving a few shots put out both the front and rear windows. Is it just inpregnable when it's locked or was it just a mistake?

Yeah that was always kind of weird. I always kind of assumed that the special armoring wasn't switched on anymore, but that really doesn't make much sense when you think about it... One of those things best left unquestioned I guess...
    Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews: Recapping 007
    YouTube channel Support my channel on Patreon Twitter Facebook fanpage
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,700MI6 Agent

Yeah that was always kind of weird. I always kind of assumed that the special armoring wasn't switched on anymore, but that really doesn't make much sense when you think about it... One of those things best left unquestioned I guess...

I watch Bond films for the plot, story and characterisation, so I tend not to notice things like this until much later in a DVD viewing!
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • LoGabrielleLoGabrielle IrelandPosts: 111MI6 Agent
    I think that a bazooka put out the windows in the TND BMW remote-controlled car scene, but I'd have to check the film again as I may be wrong about this!
    the bazooka went through the already broken windows

Yes, I only thought of that after I'd posted my first reply! Sorry. :#
  • LoGabrielleLoGabrielle IrelandPosts: 111MI6 Agent

Yes, I only thought of that after I'd posted my first reply! Sorry. :#
    Haha don't worry about it
  • Nick37Nick37 Posts: 270MI6 Agent
    Tomorrow Never Dies is one of my last favorite Bond films, and probably my least watched, so I'm unable to provide any help!
    "I've had a few...Optional extras installed."
    Nick37 wrote:
    Tomorrow Never Dies is one of my last favorite Bond films, and probably my least watched, so I'm unable to provide any help!

Yeah I saw your list, you ranked it as your least favorite Bond movie. I'm always very curious into hearing other people's oppinions. I would like to hear why TND is the worst Bond movie in your oppinion. For a lot of fans it usually ranks somewere in the middle (or just a little lower), so it's always kind of fun to see people with completely different views. But we share the same favorite Bond movie so I'm sure you have a good look on things :))

Anyway to get back on topic here. Another inconsistecy would be with Renard in TWINE. He isn't able to feel pain, he can hold an extremely hot rock without feeling anything. Fair enough, but wouldn't that still leave a big burn on his hands?
    Brosnan's number 5 on my Bond list, I don't think he's bad at all, he's just not my favorite. When it comes to ranking, I base it on the number of times I've watched it. LTK, FRWL, TB, TLD, TSWLM, countless times. I think I've watched TND twice.

It's not a bad film. It just doesn't hook me like any of the others. I like Jonathan Pryce, he just doesn't hook me as much as other villains. I prefer watching any of the other Brosnan films over watching TND. Even DAD, with all of it's abysmal qualities I find more entertaining than TND. I don't know why. I definitely like Toby Stephens' villain a bit more than Elliot Carver. And it has a plane sequence that echos TLD (Though much more campily, I admit). And the villain death is better executed. Instead of standing around screaming until the drill kills him, I like the clever way Brosnan's Bond snaps his parachute and sucks his @ss right into the engine. And there's just something really funny about the rice farmer standing in his field with a Lamborgini, and other expensive cars stuck half into the muck.

Oh, and another plus. Self-confirmed Tarantino, and Reservoir Dogs fan, so even though he has little to do, it's a rare treat to see Mr. Blonde himself, Michael Madsen, as a Bond ally. And it was a surprise. Madsen plays villains so regularly that I was sure he was going to end up being a turncoat.
    Nick37 wrote:

Agreed, it's only above the dreaded combo of YOLT, DAF and DAD for me!
    Heh, I prefer all three of those films to TND. Even bad camp has it's qualities. I must admit that i recently rewatched DAF and YOLT and I did enjoy them more this time than others. Still, the 2nd half of YOLD drags a bit.

ZZZZZ...DONALD PLEASENCE!...ZZZZZZ.
  • DieAnotherDayDieAnotherDay Glasgow, ScotlandPosts: 460MI6 Agent

Wouldn't put it past the Bond crew for this to just be an error that passed them by but I have always just thought that once he started the engine up the security system was disabled and so it could then be damaged
    ....and the best he ever managed was a sermon on the mount.

Wouldn't put it past the Bond crew for this to just be an error that passed them by but I have always just thought that once he started the engine up the security system was disabled and so it could then be damaged

Yeah that's what I assumed as well. But when you think about it, in a situation where people are shooting at you with RPG's and heavy artillary, the option to atleast able the special security again would be quite convenient.

But then again, like I said before, it's one of those things proberbly best not questioned to much...
  • thirdyboythirdyboy Edinburgh, ScotlandPosts: 23MI6 Agent
    This is my most hated seen from all Bond films. The bit that gets me most is how the henchmen conveniently put the wire at the correct height for the saw to come up from the BMW badge.
    Tell me, does the toppling of American missiles really compensate for having no hands?
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    thirdyboy wrote:
    This is my most hated seen from all Bond films. The bit that gets me most is how the henchmen conveniently put the wire at the correct height for the saw to come up from the BMW badge.

That is also a pet peeve of mine.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I'm sure Q had fitted a height sensor to the BMW badge. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • LastRatStandingLastRatStanding ScotlandPosts: 296MI6 Agent
    I'm sure Q had fitted a height sensor to the BMW badge. :))

Either that or Q is just REALLY good at predicting exactly the gadgets Bond's going to need before anyone knows if he's going to...yep that sounds about right! :D
    Now, they only eat rat.
    thirdyboy wrote:

Yes, I fear that this "second sight-contingency planning" goes all of the way back to the bad old days of You Only Live Twice, The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker!

See my related article entitled "Kingsley Amis, Drax's Gambit and the Reform of the Action Sequences in the James Bond Films" on The Bondologist Blog here:

http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/kingsley-amis-draxs-gambit-and-reform.html
    http://youtu.be/MwZbuF40T1M

Eddie Izzard - James Bond

Eddie's take on Q and Gadgets. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    http://youtu.be/MwZbuF40T1M

Eddie Izzard - James Bond

Eddie's take on Q and Gadgets. :))

That was the first time I saw Eddie Izzard. About 7 years ago I was bored and surfing on youtube. Typed in "james bond" and this was one of the top search results then. I laughed my butt off and by now I have all his shows on DVD and will be going to a show of his new world tour in April. I seem to quote Eddie more than any Bond movie in daily life.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
    You have good taste Peppermill, -{
    Eddies one of my favourite comedians.
    His Star Trek and Darth Vader jokes are fantastic. :))
    "You'll need a tray..."
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
    But anyway, on topic: Usually I notice the inconsistencies after repeated viewings but I remember that the "BMW logo cutting device in case a rope is spun at exactly 4'6'' in front of your car gadget" annoyed me the first time I saw TND in cinema. Same thing with the windshield. Skyfall has some moments like that as well for me.

I remember really looking forward to TND in 1997. GoldenEye was the first 007 movie I saw in the cinema and really liked it then, as I do now. I was slightly disappointed with TND because to me it felt more like a regular action movie than a Bond movie. It had Q, M, gadgets, humor, Bond girls but something was missing. I still can't say what it is exactly, but 007 walking around with a machine gun shooting everything in sight is still not really Bondian to me.
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent
    The reason why the windsheilds on the BMW broke( This is just my take mind you) was due to the fact that the bad guys were using M16 rifles which are fire 5.56x45mm bullets which are more powerful than than the 9mm MP5 submachine guns they where using earlier. Additionaly they fired multiple times into the windshield so that is what likely caused the glass to break.