Would Fleming have liked Skyfall?

CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
Does anyone think Fleming would have enjoyed the film? I think he would have,
since it stays with the grittier, realistic Bond and darker themes in his novels and
runs parallel with his plots of YOLT and MWTGG - dealing with Bond supposedly dieing off and returning, as well as the top quality job they did with the whole production. He may have had reservations about Craig if he had seen CR (being blonde) but I think by this film he would have been won over as he was by Connery. He also disliked his casting at first but after the success of the first two films he warmed to the idea by the time Goldfinger was being made and I think realized Connery was going to be the cinematic Bond just as Craig now is.

Comments

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent
    Fleming would have seen a female M and walked out :))
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent

Some biographers say "M" may have actually stood for "mother" and based on how Fleming felt about her he might have sympathized with Silva, simutaneously crying and seething at the sight of M.
    since it stays with the grittier, realistic Bond and darker themes in his novels and
    runs parallel with his plots of YOLT and MWTGG - dealing with Bond supposedly dieing off and returning, as well as the top quality job they did with the whole production. He may have had reservations about Craig if he had seen CR (being blonde) but I think by this film he would have been won over as he was by Connery. He also disliked his casting at first but after the success of the first two films he warmed to the idea by the time Goldfinger was being made and I think realized Connery was going to be the cinematic Bond just as Craig now is.

I don't know... I don't think that having all the parts there so to speak would have resulted in Fleming liking SF. To be fair, the same can probably be said about Tim Dalton's 2 movies and although I think he was the closest to Fleming's Bond, there might still be some things off about TD's delivery that might have fallen below Fleming's expectations. Fleming obviously lived and wrote under the premise of the British class structure though he did often challenge convention in his writings for shock value. Having said that, my belief is that he would have considered DC's Bond too working class and fundamentally missing the essence of Bond and his world, but that's my opinion.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,669MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:

Some biographers say "M" may have actually stood for "mother" and based on how Fleming felt about her he might have sympathized with Silva, simutaneously crying and seething at the sight of M.

I don't know... I don't think that having all the parts there so to speak would have resulted in Fleming liking SF. To be fair, the same can probably be said about Tim Dalton's 2 movies and although I think he was the closest to Fleming's Bond, there might still be some things off about TD's delivery that might have fallen below Fleming's expectations. Fleming obviously lived and wrote under the premise of the British class structure though he did often challenge convention in his writings for shock value. Having said that, my belief is that he would have considered DC's Bond too working class and fundamentally missing the essence of Bond and his world, but that's my opinion.

Yes, the danger with a thuggish James Bond is that the gentleman secret agent who lives a jetset lifestyle is rather thrown out. Roger Moore delivered this lighter aspect of James Bond character more than any of the other five actors to have so far played James Bond on the big screen. One would imagine that the unrefined Conneryesque aspect of Craig's portrayal as James Bond might have rankled with Ian Fleming. This coming from a fan of Daniel Craig as James Bond.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).