Moonraker- A Feast For My Eyes

Comments

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    bah - humbug!
    As if anyone can forsee that I'll enter when someone is bashing QoBt :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    Hi Bondtoys - or anyone else - what make of big telly would you advise on? Around 50in or more, less than £1,000, hi-res, not 3D? I once understood that plasmas were the best but have heard that the other sort are just as good... I did look up the best on amazon, but they always have one who gives a credible, critical review, saying the people look like plastic.... :#
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • KKwheelchairKKwheelchair BathurstPosts: 153MI6 Agent
    Hi Bondtoys - or anyone else - what make of big telly would you advise on? Around 50in or more, less than £1,000, hi-res, not 3D? I once understood that plasmas were the best but have heard that the other sort are just as good... I did look up the best on amazon, but they always have one who gives a credible, critical review, saying the people look like plastic.... :#
    strange place to post this
    "You know what's great about you English Octopussy man I must seen that movie, Twice" -the simpsons
    No, it relates to previous posts where Bondtoys talks about DVDs, and also it's down to what would be a good TV to watch Moonraker BluRay on.... :)

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Hope that Granny Miles will move this to the off-topic without smacking me again :# :

Difficult to tell:
    If your budget is around GBP 1000,--, I'd go for a Sharp LC60LE740, or - if it's too expensive - for the LC60LE635

IMO, size is everything, so get the biggest screen possible for your money.

Plasmas generally consume more power but are better in darker scenes. Most of the Plasma have glossy screens, which can be a real pain when you have windows behind or at the sides. So even though Plasmas may perform better in a total dark room, I'd go with an LCD TV.

I am having an LC 70LE740 and am totally happy - though would love to have the 80'' but these are too expensive for the moment.

Eh, those seem a fair bit more than a grand!

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    not in Germany :D
    http://www.amazon.de/Sharp-LC60LE635E-LED-Backlight-Fernseher-Energieeffizienzklasse-Full-HD/dp/B005N24FWE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363088556&sr=8-1

It seems that LCD TVs are pretty pricey in the UK.
    Like I have said, I'd go for the biggest possible LCD for that price, I guess that you have to check Samsung a bit. From what I have seen from LG, I'd not buy from them.

So Sony, Sharp, Samsung in that order.

Cool, thanks. Sony seem pretty good. Erm, what does LG stand for then? ?:)

Roger Moore 1927-2017

"You are an intelligent, resourceful man, Mr Bondtoys..."

164364_v3_ba.jpg

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    "Your powers of observation do you credit"

340x.jpg

• NeverSayDieNeverSayDie Posts: 495MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:
    NeverSayDie,

I was hoping you would see this thread. You're probably the most experienced filmmaker on ajb.. do you have any additional thoughts on the production of Moonraker? How has Moonraker influenced your own work?

Sorry only just spotted your question Firemass.
    Moonraker has had a big influence on work especially on my last major project which was a Hammer horror Victorian vampire web series/ feature film called 'Blood and Bone China' set in Stoke-on-Trent in 1897.
    bloodandbonechinaposterNEW1_zpsaed05872.jpg

See the trailer here: www.bloodandbonechina.com

The villain Linus Hemlock is wealthy European industrialist. I asked David Lemberg (the actor playing Hemlock) to look at Michael Lonsdale's performance in Moonraker as a reference point. They even look slightly similar which was a complete accident I hadn't considered that when casting.

002-1.jpg

Now subconsciousness I gave Hemlock an evil butler know only as 'The Servant' and he is played by an actor who is approaching 7ft. This is a direct parallel with Jaws! I wish I had thought about more and I would have made The Servant a mute with bigger vampire teeth! :D
    ryan1.jpg

Again completely subconsciously Hemlock has a lover called Lady Victoria. There is a Lady Victoria in Moonraker!
    lara3.jpg

The main female character in 'Blood and Bone China' is already investigating the strange happenings in the city and she is pro active in the mould of Anya from TSWLM and Holly Goodhead from Moonraker as opposed to Bond girls who get caught up in the adventure such as Honey Rider.
    ep3Still001.jpg

I've grown up loving Bond, Indy, Star Wars which are all basically modern myths, legends and fairy-tales which is why they are so popular and transcend age, race and culture. With 'Blood and Bone China' I've had a go at my own making my own myth and loved every second of making it. :)

Cheers -{
    Chris
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    edited March 2013
    I must watch blood and bone China when I get five mins, I loved the Hammer Horrors growing up. Add Close Enc and ET, and my list matches yours NSD!

Very pleased to see a pro Moonraker thread. All the Bonds have good and bad points (did I say that?!) and Mkr is no exception, but has amazing locales, fantastic visuals and a great baddie played by Monsieur Lonsdale. Drax is my fav Bond baddie mainly due to his performance.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    looks fantastic chris. thanks for sharing.

-{
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,691MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote:
    "Your powers of observation do you credit"

340x.jpg

Yes, ever respectful for our visually impaired members... :s
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • dr. evan-gelistdr. evan-gelist SheffieldPosts: 398MI6 Agent
    just as a thought to the ever growing digital movie world, wouldnt it be great if in the future you could put a dvd film on and in the options u could edit out the bad bits, and maybe put in some new scenes. i believe very possible.
    "You're in the wrong business... leave it to the professionals!"
    James Bond- Licence To Kill
    Yeah, I'm surprised that doesn't happen more actually. Just take out the slide whistle in TMWTGG, or the Beach Boys in AVTAK. Paste a John Barry soundtrack onto FYEO.

Of course, there's the NSNA special edition bootleg which edits the film and puts mostly Barry music on the soundtrack.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    With all the research going on in Digital characters, Putting
    your own face on to game characters it shouldn't be long
    before you'll be able to put your face over an actors. :D
    I'd love to get my face near Angelina Jolie. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Here you are, Thunderpussy, that's near enough: :D

angelina-jolie-william-hague.jpg

{:)

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    :)) :)) :))
    Wow!. Angelina and Bruce Willis together. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Mr_OsatoMr_Osato Posts: 398MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Mostly all BluRay players can also play DVDs.

A cheap R_R player starts at EUR 100,-- - many people go with a Playstation 3, which also plays perfectly DVDs or B-Rs. PS3 slims go at around EUR 200,--

Once that you have seen a B-R, you'll hardly want to play your DVDs again :v

A little off topic: I have a PS3, yet I find the quality of the Blu rays that I play on the PS not that great. I have played them in regular Blu Ray players before, and rated it much higher. Anyone else had this problem?

Now on topic: MR is a bitof a guilty pleasure, a movie that I have started to like more and more. Maybe because I have been to Venice many times and to Rio and therefore really appreciate the locations that were used in the movie. And the soundtrack is fantastic.

The production value is great, clearly a lot of money was spend on it. It has huge flaws, that have been mentioned before (Jaws, the pigeon, the sounds in space) but I can look past it. An enjoyable movie.
    OHMSS, FRWL, DN, GF, CR, GE, SP, YOLT, TB, TSWLM, LALD, TLD, TND, FYEO, SF, MR, TMWTGG, TWINE, OP, AVTAK, DAF, LTK, QOS, DAD

1. Connery 2. Craig 3. Brosnan 4. Dalton 5. Lazenby 6. Moore
  • DelicatessenInSteelDelicatessenInSteel Posts: 181MI6 Agent
    Moonraker is my favorite Bond movie and as the years go by it gets more insanely epic especially due to all the cgi cartoons we see these days..but it gets more bad ass and serious regardless of the comedy gags done in post, the bigger the screen the better the movie, its the only Bond movie I can actually say that about. Its my favorite, its not the best but my favorite.
    1.MoonRaker 2.OHMSS 3.LALD 4.OP 5.FYEO 6.DR. NO 7.YOLT 8.LTK 9.CR 10.AVTAK
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia, PAPosts: 753MI6 Agent
    MR use to be in my bottom 5, but it has climbed significantly. It is just too much fun, such a massive spectacle, and an escapist pleasure. Even the incredibly goofy spots are enjoyable to me now. It's in the middle of my rankings these days. It's strange though, I always find myself coming back to Moonraker as it's one of the films that I enjoy flicking on in at any point in the movie, sitting back and enjoying a martini -{
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,330Chief of Staff
    I watched the PTS earlier tonight and it has whetted my appetite to watch the whole film tomorrow!
    Nice! One of my favorite PTS of the series. Absolutely incredible what they did with those skydiving stunts. BJ Worth, Don Calvedt, and company really did some awe-inspiring work. And to cap it off, the return of JAWS!!!!!!
    I love the PTS to Mooraker, although I'm not a fan of Jaws returning.
    It still stands up today as a fantastic stunt. -{
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,330Chief of Staff
    Well, I watched it in its entirety today and had a great time! :007)
  • UltimateTruthUltimateTruth Posts: 140MI6 Agent
    I saw it in the theater in 1979. I can still remember a girl a few rows ahead of me gasping and exclaiming "Oh my God ! How pretty !" when Bond's silver boat emerges out of the trees and drifts into the jungle lagoon
    So jealous that you were around in the 70's to see the classic Moore films released. Guess younger folk will say the same in time about the Craig films.

Moonraker is next up on me and my fiance's Bond marathon. Can't wait B-)
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    So jealous that you were around in the 70's to see the classic Moore films released. Guess younger folk will say the same in time about the Craig films.

If I could go back in time to see a Bond film in the cinema... it would be Moonraker.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK