Best Espionage/Adventure Movies other than James Bond?

2»

Comments

• Mr WebberMr Webber AustraliaPosts: 114MI6 Agent
    I forgot about Dangerman, been watching it on late night TV recently, great show.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Mr Webber wrote:
    I forgot about Dangerman, been watching it on late night TV recently, great show.
    I just bought the last few eps of the series on a DVD set- I'm hankerin' to see the two final colour episodes again after SO long!
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    Ammo08 wrote:
    I Loved The Man From Uncle series when I was a kid.

It appears that The Man From U.N.C.L.E. is set for the big screen with Tom Cruise in early talks to star in the film that will be directed by Guy Ritchie. Apparently, George Clooney was originally set for the lead role but dropped out because he needed surgery on his neck and back, and he wasn't up for a physical role.

Tom Cruise Eyeing 'The Man From U.N.C.L.E.' With Guy Ritchie At Warner Bros
    http://www.deadline.com/2013/03/tom-cruise-eyeing-the-man-from-u-n-c-l-e-with-guy-ritchie-at-warner-bros/
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    North By Northwest, if you could call it espionage. I would. And it's a terrific film.

As for adventure, the Indy films of course. First three especially.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    I enjoyed the last Mission Impossible film so much I bought the DVD. I could have sworn I was watching a Bond film - and a thrilling one at that. The Bond producers should seek out director Brad Bird and the writers - Josh Appelbaum & André Nemec.
    I enjoyed the last Mission Impossible film so much I bought the DVD. I could have sworn I was watching a Bond film - and a thrilling one at that. The Bond producers should seek out director Brad Bird and the writers - Josh Appelbaum & André Nemec.
    Yeah, that was pretty good. I need a copy of that.
  • Mr BeechMr Beech Florida, USAPosts: 1,749MI6 Agent

I thought it was a great refresh to that series. I am not particularly fond of the new crew. Cruise was slick, and Simon Pegg was fun, but I really hate the rumors that Jeremy Renner was inserted as a potential Cruise replacement to keep the franchise going after Cruise decides he's done.

Renner already made Bourne rather bitter to me. I didn't know what I had in Matt Damon until he was gone, along with the great, cold, espionage-filled, spy thrillers. Renner and his entry made it summer action with little to care for or feel involved with. I can't imagine liking his angry and stuffy character in MI enough to let it carry the series.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Good shout for mentioning Danger Man and The Man from UNCLE.

I will see you and raise you the following (all tv shows, sorry)

The Prisoner
    I Spy
    A Man Called Sloane
    Alias
    The Magician

For films,I'd add the following 60s entrants:

Where Eagles Dare
    Ice Station Zebra
    The Liquidator
    And more recent, Inception...
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    chrisisall wrote:
    I really like Harrison Ford's two Jack Ryan movies, as far as I'm concerned, they are the next best thing to my favourite Bond movies. Haywire is recent discovery that, for my money, is way more interesting than either the Bourne or Hunt movies.

What's your call?

I've just watched these recently (the Harisson Ford Jack Ryan films), and while I would disagree that they're like bond, I did really enjoy them. Patriot Games was my favourite of the two, and Sean Bean ruled!
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

Jarvio wrote:
    I've just watched these recently (the Harison Ford Jack Ryan films), and while I would disagree that they're like bond, I did really enjoy them.
    Well, no, they're not like Bond, just similar in the general sense of espionage, series, and action...
    chrisisall wrote:
    Jarvio wrote:
    I've just watched these recently (the Harison Ford Jack Ryan films), and while I would disagree that they're like bond, I did really enjoy them.
    Well, no, they're not like Bond, just similar in the general sense of espionage, series, and action...

I see what you mean. I've just finished watching all 4, and here's how I'd rank them:
    1 - Patriot Games
    2 - Clear And Present Danger
    3 - The Hunt For Red October
    4 - The Sum Of All Fears

I wonder how the 5th will turn out...

Jarvio wrote:
    I've just finished watching all 4, and here's how I'd rank them:
    1 - Patriot Games
    2 - Clear And Present Danger
    3 - The Hunt For Red October
    4 - The Sum Of All Fears
    I agree with your ranking. -{