For Special Services

MustonMuston Huncote, Leicestershire Posts: 228MI6 Agent
Well I'm two books down in the Gardner series and have to say that I really struggled to finish this one. :#

The story starts off well, Bond taking out the terrorists on the plane, then the shock return of SPECTRE gave the novel an interesting start. But again I found a novel where the villains all give out evil chuckles, the women almost instantly fall in love with Bond (more of the "Oh darling James") and thrown into the mix was a grand prix (though this was a better chapter than the wrestling one in LR,) and SPECTRE using ice cream as part of their diabolical plan. I'll keep on going until I've read all of Gardner's, but I feel it's going to be a struggle. At least I now have both of Christopher Wood's to read first to help break things up.
"Thank you very much. I was just out walking my RAT and seem to have lost my way... "

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Well we all have different opinions Muston, For Special Services
    is My favourite Gardner Bond novel. :))
    I love the scale of the villain's plot, reminded me of one of the
    Thunderball/ Goldfinger Fleming novels.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,716MI6 Agent
    Yes, For Special Services is one of Gardner's best for me too. :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • MustonMuston Huncote, Leicestershire Posts: 228MI6 Agent
    I'll give Icebreaker a try after Wood's two.
    "Thank you very much. I was just out walking my RAT and seem to have lost my way... "
  • David SchofieldDavid Schofield EnglandPosts: 1,528MI6 Agent
    Starts off nicely, though why the F Bond needed the Saab in the USA other than so Gardner could fulfill some sponsorship obligation I do not know....

And, of course, SPECTRE need the legendary James Bond to pretend to be a general to complete their plot.... which is almost as ludicrous as needing an airship pilot in ROLE OF HONOUR - and having to get.... James Bond to fly it!

Not sure Gardner always thought his plots through, unlike Ian Fleming. I suspect that it might have had something to do with Gardner's view of the seriousness of the Bond stories, and the fact that in his Boysie Oakes stories logic was never an important ingredient.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,716MI6 Agent
    Muston wrote:
    I'll give Icebreaker a try after Wood's two.

That's a good one, though the whole mystery plot element stats with that one with numerous characters not being what they at first seem and double and triple crosses that get ever more confusing and complex.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,769Chief of Staff
    I'm not a fan of FSS either...its ok but it doesn't deliver... :(
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    I'm not a fan of FSS either...its ok but it doesn't deliver... :(

I suppose you could say that of most of Gardner's efforts and I'm a fan. :#
  • MustonMuston Huncote, Leicestershire Posts: 228MI6 Agent
    I haven't enjoyed his first two but I did rather like The Man from Barbarossa (probably shouldn't have read that one first but I blame Silhouette Man for enticing me :D )

The Barbarossa story was gritty and more real (I also don't remember the villains chuckling loads like in his first two books.) I'm sure I'll warm to Gardner's Bond, it's just taking some time.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,062MI6 Agent
    Muston wrote:
    I haven't enjoyed his first two but I did rather like The Man from Barbarossa
    Another one I'll need to get in a while then... :)
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    Muston wrote:
    I haven't enjoyed his first two but I did rather like The Man from Barbarossa (probably shouldn't have read that one first but I blame Silhouette Man for enticing me :D )

The Barbarossa story was gritty and more real (I also don't remember the villains chuckling loads like in his first two books.) I'm sure I'll warm to Gardner's Bond, it's just taking some time.

Yes, I am bad like that. :)