Little niggles

Comments

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    we've never seen Craig's Bond have an intimate relationship with a woman that didn't somehow further his mission.

Well, while enjoying death near the start of SF, he got pretty intimate on a non-mission basis with this lady:

aa_old_man_4.jpg

I'd also add Estrella. She served no purpose other than arm candy.

I forgot about the girl at the beginning of Skyfall. As for Estrella, we don't know much about her, but we do know that Bond uses her room for access to the roof, i.e. in furtherance of his mission.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Barbel wrote:

Well, while enjoying death near the start of SF, he got pretty intimate on a non-mission basis with this lady:

aa_old_man_4.jpg

I forgot about the girl at the beginning of Skyfall. As for Estrella, we don't know much about her, but we do know that Bond uses her room for access to the roof, i.e. in furtherance of his mission.

Do we know that it's her room and not Bond's? Could Bond not have taken a room just the same without her?
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    Firstly, the revenge thing in FYEO. Bond seems like a wise man, who believes revenge is wrong. But by the next movie? He gets revenge on 009, then the next movie revenge on Tibbet, etc. It seems weird this sort of character they developed in FYEO disappears by OP.

Don't forget that Bond got revenge for Luigi in FYEO when he tossed the dove pin into the car and then kicked it off a cliff.

As Thunderpussy said, the issue was more about Melina being a civilian whereas Bond is trained to kill people. However, Melina was certainly no slouch with that crossbow.

Speaking of inconsistencies: In FYEO, Gonzales states that the PPK is standard issue British Secret Service, yet in Goldeneye, Valentin says that only 3 people use that particular gun. (I prefer the FYEO statement to be true)
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
    Matt S wrote:
    I agree.
    What would have Bond found if he went to the place 009 died? Probably nothing because everyone involved had gone home to India.

I'm more than happy to be proven wrong on these! -{

As for Bond's cable car leap in OHMSS…I always considered it similar to the wacky physics of Jaws jumping from one car to the other in MR. :))
    My current 10 favorite:

• Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:
    Speaking of inconsistencies: In FYEO, Gonzales states that the PPK is standard issue British Secret Service, yet in Goldeneye, Valentin says that only 3 people use that particular gun. (I prefer the FYEO statement to be true)

14 years passed. Maybe people stopped using it by the 90s. Remember what was said about the PPK in DN? "The American CIA swear by them". But what Valentine says really makes no sense, if he's talking about all PPK users in the entire world. It's not some unique Lazar creation.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

Do we know that it's her room and not Bond's? Could Bond not have taken a room just the same without her?

Fair point. -{
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,296MI6 Agent
    Soon Tech Oh must've been partly dubbed , when I listened to the blu his hoarse voice was missing the most of the time ?:)
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:

Being part of a couple often suits bond being undercover, for we know estella is a Mexican mi6 operative.
    Fair point. -{
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,324Chief of Staff
    Soon Tech Oh must've been partly dubbed , when I listened to the blu his hoarse voice was missing the most of the time ?:)

He talks about that on the commentary- he didn't find out till actually watching the film that he had been dubbed for the outdoor scenes.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

Being part of a couple often suits bond being undercover, for we know estella is a Mexican mi6 operative.
    Fair point. -{

I would have liked it if after all the PTS mayhem he returned to her room to 'chill' a bit.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • The Wicker ManThe Wicker Man EnglandPosts: 434MI6 Agent
    Love TSWLM but the scene where Jaws is beating the crap out of that van and Rog is sat there all cool. Wow. Me? I would be halfway to Alexandria - sod the bleeding microfilm! The guy is a giant with metal teeth! I wouldn't even care that I look like a wimp in front of Anya.
    1.ohmss 2.cr 3.frwl 4.ltk 5.gf 6.tswlm 7.sf 8.op 9.tld 10.dn 11.lald 12.tb 13.fyeo 14.ge 15.mr 16.yolt 17.tnd 18.avtak 19.sp 20.twine 21.qos 22.tmwtgg 23.daf 24.dad
    Love TSWLM but the scene where Jaws is beating the crap out of that van and Rog is sat there all cool. Wow. Me? I would be halfway to Alexandria - sod the bleeding microfilm! The guy is a giant with metal teeth! I wouldn't even care that I look like a wimp in front of Anya.
    Quite why one of them didn't shoot him between the eyes through the van window is beyond me? (apart from the fact it would have cut short the tenure of one bonds greatest villains)
  • eric7064eric7064 USAPosts: 343MI6 Agent
    Can't really say I have any really. I don't see the super fine details sometimes. Like a missle being fired twice. A watch on one hand in one scene then the other hand next. I never notice stuff like that unless it's blatant.
    eric7064 wrote:
    Can't really say I have any really. I don't see the super fine details sometimes. Like a missle being fired twice. A watch on one hand in one scene then the other hand next. I never notice stuff like that unless it's blatant.
    The small things never bother me either and I quite understand continuity errors, but after a few viewings of a film I often find myself wondering about plotholes and things of that ilk
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I do find it funny how unobservant I am, I've watched several films
    Hundreds of times, yet never noticed the " Mistake" until I read about
    It. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • JellyfishJellyfish EnglandPosts: 465MI6 Agent
    I do find it funny how unobservant I am, I've watched several films
    Hundreds of times, yet never noticed the " Mistake" until I read about
    It. :))

My problem is that I can watch a film several times and not notice a mistake, but when I do learn about one I always focus on it next time I watch the film and can't ignore it.
    On ,I'm the same. I then look out for it thinking "How's I never
    notice that !" :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Firemass wrote:

14 years passed. Maybe people stopped using it by the 90s. Remember what was said about the PPK in DN? "The American CIA swear by them". But what Valentine says really makes no sense, if he's talking about all PPK users in the entire world. It's not some unique Lazar creation.

Well, it is even stranger than that. In Dr No Boothroyd states that "the American CIA swears by them". Five years later Blofeld states in YOLT that "only one man we know use such a gun, James Bond". Then we get to FYEO (standard issue again) and GoldenEye. So it just changes from movie to movie.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
    edited January 2016
    Goldeneye: Xenia manages to squeeze an ID card from the admiral, but was it Orumov using it? He does not look at all similar to that rotund bald man.

LALD:

Not a single henchman wants to see Bond get eaten by a crocodile?

Where there any henchman inside Kanaga's private lair? or did just Kanaga and Whisper manage to tie up Bond and Solitaire?

Leiter doesn't know the phonetic alphabet. Nelson David George should be November Delta Gulf.

Quarrel Jr says you may have even killed me if you took the safety catch off. Does that particular gun even have a safety? I kinda doubt it.

Kanaga expects Solitaire to be a lie detector? How would tarot cards know the serial number of Mr. Bond's watch? Why didn't Bond's finger get snipped off when Solitaire answered wrong? My only theory is Kananga didn't want to lose face in front of his staff if they found out Bond had slept with her. That's why he gave her a 50-50 chance and then reprimanded her later in private.

FYEO: Why is Bond required to change into the navy blue clothes once aboard Columbo's boat?
    My current 10 favorite:

Agreed. That's the only thing that bugs me about TSWLM….it makes no sense to have Bond not be worried in that particular situation. It also makes Jaws seem less menacing, because if Bond's not afraid of him, then why should we be afraid of him?
    My current 10 favorite:

• heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:
    Goldeneye:  Xenia manages to squeeze an ID card from the admiral, but was it Orumov using it? He does not look at all similar to that rotund bald man.

That annoys me too. On a recent viewing the guy passing over the ID looks exactly like the admiral.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:
    Goldeneye: Xenia manages to squeeze an ID card from the admiral, but was it Orumov using it? He does not look at all similar to that rotund bald man.

LALD:

Where there any henchman inside Kanaga's private lair? or did just Kanaga and Whisper manage to tie up Bond and Solitaire?

FYEO: Why is Bond required to change into the navy blue clothes once aboard Columbo's boat?

Kananga probably ordered his guards to come in and tie up Solitaire and Bond offscreen

Columbo was planning to take Bond on a raid to Kristatos's Albanian warehouse after he gained his trust. The dark clothes are to blend in with the darkness so that they aren't seen.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
    Columbo was planning to take Bond on a raid to Kristatos's Albanian warehouse after he gained his trust. The dark clothes are to blend in with the darkness so that they aren't seen.

Exactly. He should have changed after the meeting, not before. I wonder if John Glen was like "Fans will be confused where Bond got new clothes for the night raid, so let's show him getting changed now!"

This wouldn't bother me so much, except I think his shiny blue duds look unflattering in the light.
    My current 10 favorite:

• TheWorldIsEnoughTheWorldIsEnough Posts: 296MI6 Agent
    Here's a Skyfall niggle:

So Bond takes out the last henchman by shooting out the ice on the frozen pond and he's in 32* F water for a good length of time. Then comes out to throw a knife into Silva's back. Yet he shows no adverse affects from his time in the freezing water. His teeth don't even chatter.

Oh, and that whole thing about getting shot and falling off a bridge, yet is just perfectly fine afterward with no explanation... brothers me a little.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    So Bond takes out the last henchman by shooting out the ice on the frozen pond and he's in 32* F water for a good length of time. Then comes out to throw a knife into Silva's back. Yet he shows no adverse affects from his time in the freezing water. His teeth don't even chatter.

Oh, and that whole thing about getting shot and falling off a bridge, yet is just perfectly fine afterward with no explanation... brothers me a little.
    Have YOU ever been shot? It's no big deal. Have YOU ever been in 32 degree water? It just makes one move faster. What are you, some kind of lightweight? :))

LOL, yeah, both those things bother me too. :007)
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • TheWorldIsEnoughTheWorldIsEnough Posts: 296MI6 Agent
    Well, I guess it was only a mere flesh wound. It's not as if the Black Knight cut both his arms and legs off.

And I must be a lightweight. I went to the public swimming pool in the middle of summer and thought the water was still too cold. I don't think I could strangle a henchman in a wading pool, let alone at the bottom of a frozen pond.
    Like Basildon Bond, Bond always wears a wet suit under his clothes, for these occasions. ;)
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    Well, I guess it was only a mere flesh wound. It's not as if the Black Knight cut both his arms and legs off.

And I must be a lightweight. I went to the public swimming pool in the middle of summer and thought the water was still too cold. I don't think I could strangle a henchman in a wading pool, let alone at the bottom of a frozen pond.

I never understood why he needs to strangle the guy in the first place. It's not like he can breathe under water so it comes down to who can hold his breath the longest.....
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
    I'm guessing Bond's in a bit of a hurry to get after Silva ? :)
    edited January 2016
    DAF:

Bond notifies the baddies at which hotel he will be staying.

Bond (impersonating Saxby) notifies Blofeld that Bond is still alive.

Bond notifies Mr. Wint/Kidd that he knows who they are, yet doesn't take any action whatsoever.

Why does Tiffany decide to follow Blofeld in drag?? It's implied that she was following the cat, but why?

I'm suprised the schoolteacher had done business with Wint/Kidd before. (I thought they were strictly hitmen)

Bond's instructions to Tiffany about the cassette tape were not very clear. "Your problems are behind you now"

Did Blofeld have any real reason to clone himself other than confusing Bond for a split second?

Blofeld is way too lax with Bond in this one…even allowing him to walk right up to the control panels and eject the tape. (Long gone are the days when cassette tapes were this important :)) )
    My current 10 favorite: