Die Another Day: From Script to Screen

2»

Comments

• CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    Upon repeated viewings it's easy to spot how they were trying to change course and go in the more serious direction that the Craig films went when watching it up until the invisible car being introduced. They actually seemed to be trying this out in TWINE, with Bond being betrayed by the lead female and tortured by her resulting in him killing her outright.

It's one of the reasons I really get into the first half and get so let down in the second. I understand how some enjoy the spectacle of the ice palace/diamond energy weapon satellite/cargo plane climax and if it had been part of a more out and out spectacle entry
    like YOLT or DAF, I could understand it. As it is, it's seems as if they chickened out in making the whole film serious for fear of less box office, so fell back on the old
    spectacle formula of sci-fi and big screen explosions. I feel that Brosnan and the cast
    got cheated out of a better quality entry as much as I did. I'll take that furious, nasty sword
    fighting scene in Blades over the CGI cargo plane scenes anyday.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    You can count me amongst its fans!
    I look at DAD as Brosnan's DAF, and I have immense fun with both. -{
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • Mr_OsatoMr_Osato Posts: 398MI6 Agent
    I have seen the comparisson with Moonraker the novel. I compare it more with Moonraker, the movie. Because both movies had a strong first half and a terrible second half.

Aside from the surfing scene in the first scene, the PTS of DAD is great. Also current affairs to finally go to North Korea. Liked the fact that Bond gets caught and tortured, finally some realism.

After that, it continues strong, with Bond's escape, his confident walk into the hotel lobby, and his mission in Cuba. I liked the Cuba scenes a lot, except of course for the Bond-Jinx dialogue, which was awful. But the break in, at the clinic was done nicely.

I also liked the fight at Blades, well choreographed and quite intense.

It just went downhill as soon as R was re-introduced with the invisible car and when arrived in Iceland. The Ice bar was nice, but again the dialogue between Bond, Miranda and Jinx had too many puns to count. I mean, is it impossible to have a normal conversation?

The race was rediculous, the invisible car was rediculous and the climax aboard the plane was rediculous (and forgettable..)

So there it goes, a movie with potential, totally killed at the end. A real pity.
    OHMSS, FRWL, DN, GF, CR, GE, SP, YOLT, TB, TSWLM, LALD, TLD, TND, FYEO, SF, MR, TMWTGG, TWINE, OP, AVTAK, DAF, LTK, QOS, DAD

1. Connery 2. Craig 3. Brosnan 4. Dalton 5. Lazenby 6. Moore
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Mr_Osato wrote:
    The race was rediculous, the invisible car was rediculous and the climax aboard the plane was rediculous (and forgettable..)
    So there it goes, a movie with potential, totally killed at the end. A real pity.
    Totally killed? Sorry, I found more gold in this supposedly played-out mine than you did, sir. :007)
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS