Inital Impression

Have only seen it once, in the cinema when it opened. Have the blu-ray, and am working my way to it while sequentially re-watching all the films, on Blu-ray this time for the first time. TSWLM is the next one up come this weekend. My recollection of S will be refreshed upon the pending second-viewing, but for now:

Impressions retained from my viewing in the cinema . . .
1. Don't remember the main titles nor the accompanying song (so am thinking the latter isn't a memorable tune (?) which would be par-for-the-course for modern pop music). The main titles are always a favourite part of a Bond film for me, so am wondering why no recollection. Of course...my memory is not what it used to be, so it probably isn't the film's fault.
2. The opening chase sequence was excellent, harkening back to the one in CR (which is the best chase sequence of all the films) though Skyfall's is not as good as that one.
3. Bardem's acting was very good as is usual, yet recall feeling that the character was not a noteworthy villain in the Bond tradition.
4. Thought the final act was meretricious (within the parametre of a Bond film which is, itself, open to such an accusation).
5. Despite the normal necessity for suspending one's disbelief where Bond's præternatural abilities and endurance level are concerned, found it altogether too fanciful that he could have stayed underwater in a frozen loch for as long as he did, without suffering primary hypothermia and/or drowning.
6. Was delighted to discover Fiennes to be the new M, for he is one of my favourite, modern actors; was bored with Dench as M, long before now.

My current evaluation is that it was an enjoyable viewing, and a distinct improvement over its predecessor (mainly in regard to the direction of the action sequences), but that it wasn't overly impressive in the final analysis.

When the productions of Broccoli/Saltzman (and then just Broccoli)/ Young/ Hamilton/ Glen/ Gilbert/ Maibaum/ Mankiewicz/ Barry/ et al, ended, so, too, did the tangible quality of the Bond films that made them distinctive from any other Action Hero film. Barbara Broccoli just doesn't seem to have the same sort of creative input and saavy, apparently. In my estimation, of all the films post-LTK, CR is the only one that comes close to channeling the mystique of the pre-90's films. There are occasional sequences which harken back (e.g. the Tosca sequence in QOS), but, for the most part, they amount to mere DieHard4Queen&Country formulæ; they lack the unique verve of a true, EON production.

Alas, all things must eventually give way to Slumber Inc.

~sb~

tumblr_mlb909_XJpj1qllucco1_1280.jpg
What are you, some kind of Doomsday Machine?

Comments

• Kent007Kent007 Posts: 338MI6 Agent

Impressions retained from my viewing in the cinema . . .
    1. Don't remember the main titles nor the accompanying song (so am thinking the latter isn't a memorable tune (?) which would be par-for-the-course for modern pop music). The main titles are always a favourite part of a Bond film for me, so am wondering why no recollection. Of course...my memory is not what it used to be, so it probably isn't the film's fault.

I wouldn't say that Adele's "Skyfall" wasn't memorable purely for the fact it won an Oscar, a Brit, a Golden Globe. It's up there with one of the best Bond songs of recent times.
    "You are about to wake when you dream that you are dreaming"
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    Well, yes, but would it get any notice if it weren't in a Bond film? Unlike classic numbers, like LALD and TSWLM, I don't think the tune is that great, Mind you have to admit Goldfinger might not be a classic if it weren't in a Bond movie, as a standalone song.

To win an Oscar, well, doesn't make it a great song, we're not up against Marvin Hamlisch and a bevvy full of top musical these days. A song just has to show up and not disgrace itself.

It if were a top song, it would probably have been no 1 for three weeks both sides of the pond.

Welcome to the board SB! IMO SF works best after YOLT, the same kind of outlandishness but it moves along better, Aston is in context. :)
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I don't know if Adelle's song gets over praised but
    to me at least it's a Classic compared to the last,
    abomination forced on us. :#
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    I don't know if Adelle's song gets over praised but
    to me at least it's a Classic compared to the last,
    abomination forced on us. :#

Faint praise though ain't it
    I really like Adele's "Skyfall" -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent

So do I.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent

Me too.
  • Sable BasiliskSable Basilisk Posts: 10MI6 Agent
    Kent007 wrote:
    It's up there with one of the best Bond songs of recent times.
    Well, as said, my memory's not what it used to be.
    So, shall give it a fair, "new" listen to when coming up to S in several weeks' time.

Don't remember the QOS song, either. :p

~sb~

• Sable BasiliskSable Basilisk Posts: 10MI6 Agent
    Welcome to the board SB

Cheers, NP.

~sb~

• davidelliott101davidelliott101 Posts: 165MI6 Agent

Amen... sounds like a classic Bond theme!
    Bad joke of the day :

What do you call a computer that sings ? A-Dell. {:)
  • Kent007Kent007 Posts: 338MI6 Agent
    Kent007 wrote:
    It's up there with one of the best Bond songs of recent times.
    Well, as said, my memory's not what it used to be.
    So, shall give it a fair, "new" listen to when coming up to S in several weeks' time.

Don't remember the QOS song, either. :p

~sb~

Haha, I understand someone people won't like it and that some people will, I'm just part of the latter. I only meant that it will be memorable for all the success it's had, just like the film itself.
    "You are about to wake when you dream that you are dreaming"
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    The song and the title images still haunt me even after repeated viewings.
    I think this is why they are praised so much in the media - it obviously effected
    millions in the same way. The haunting finality - yet steely determination of the meaning of the lyrics along with the melodramatic reach of the melody are a
    perfect description of what the spirit of the film is about - Bond transporting M
    back to his childhood home where he was forced though tragedy to become an
    adult and a damaged one that MI6 was able to use as a blunt instrument, and uses that place from his past as a defensive post with M. where he can defeat their enemy by sacrificing it (and his link to that part of his past).
    To me, the film was such a worldwide success had much to do with how well the relationships are shown in it. Bond's relationship to M and his job; his relationship with his colleagues at HQ's after his return (meeting the new Q and future new M, reuniting with the new Moneypenny and mending his relationship with the old M). The film begins with the trauma of Bond nearly losing his life and wondering why he should even return to his job and ends with him not only returning as a reinvigorated man of purpose but to a new
    team to work and build a strong relationship with to meet the future challenges to their country's security.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    I think this is why they are praised so much in the media - it obviously effected
    millions in the same way. The haunting finality - yet steely determination of the meaning of the lyrics along with the melodramatic reach of the melody are a
    perfect description of what the spirit of the film is about - Bond transporting M
    adult and a damaged one that MI6 was able to use as a blunt instrument, and uses that place from his past as a defensive post with M. where he can defeat their enemy by sacrificing it (and his link to that part of his past).
    To me, the film was such a worldwide success had much to do with how well the relationships are shown in it. Bond's relationship to M and his job; his relationship with his colleagues at HQ's after his return (meeting the new Q and future new M, reuniting with the new Moneypenny and mending his relationship with the old M). The film begins with the trauma of Bond nearly losing his life and wondering why he should even return to his job and ends with him not only returning as a reinvigorated man of purpose but to a new
    team to work and build a strong relationship with to meet the future challenges to their country's security.

Nicely put. The only thing I'd add is that the next film should simply plough straight ahead and bypass the backstory/character development as much as possible (not totally, of course) and present us, the audience, with a slambang all-action Bond film going as much OTT as they think they can get away with!
    I'd love a bit of OTT. -{ :))
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff

You would! Seriously, though, it must be time for a bit less angst and a bit more fun.
    Does Daniel Craig do fun? He does wry. He needs more people to take the mickey out of.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Ens007Ens007 EnglandPosts: 863MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:

You would! Seriously, though, it must be time for a bit less angst and a bit more fun.

Along with some heavy-duty womanising. It would be very interesting to see DC's Bond character show some elements of a more relaxed side in the next movie.
    I might be in the minority here but I though DC did lighten up
    a lot in Skyfall. A good mix of Drama with some lighter moments.
    Even, I though he did a good job.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    I agree with TP--Craig did lighten up. He delivers a running commentary--pithy, witty, and sometimes snarky--on the action going on, bringing to mind (well, my mind at least) the approach of the early Connery.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    I agree with TP--Craig did lighten up. He delivers a running commentary--pithy, witty, and sometimes snarky--on the action going on, bringing to mind (well, my mind at least) the approach of the early Connery.
    Yes, Craig used a noticeably lighter touch in several scenes in Skyfall without going over the top. As you suggested, it's reminiscent of Connery's first few Bonds.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    I might be in the minority here but I though DC did lighten up
    a lot in Skyfall. A good mix of Drama with some lighter moments.
    Even, I though he did a good job.

Agreed, he did lighten up a bit, but still nowhere ear to having any fun.I would like to see Bond enjoy a fast pursuit of an equally fast girl, a little sly enjoyment of some of the perks in his 'tough life' Daniel could do this really well given half a chance to take his foot of the angst peddle for a moment or two. It would make the tension even more powerful.
    There's a problem here, and it's in Daniel Craig's acting style. It doesn't suit the above imo, because previously Connery, Moore and Brozzer had a comedy style, whereas Craig's is more realistic and with less of a wink to the audience, so I would not really enjoy him going after a girl just to nail her, and indeed it's rare we see him do this; he usually lets them come to him, it's his style.

Yes, there are light moments in SF but the overall themes are grim and autumnal. I would like to have a lighter direction generally, with a few more blue skies and gloss and panache.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Sir James MoloneySir James Moloney LondonPosts: 139MI6 Agent
    There's a problem here, and it's in Daniel Craig's acting style. It doesn't suit the above imo, because previously Connery, Moore and Brozzer had a comedy style, whereas Craig's is more realistic and with less of a wink to the audience, so I would not really enjoy him going after a girl just to nail her, and indeed it's rare we see him do this; he usually lets them come to him, it's his style.

Yes, there are light moments in SF but the overall themes are grim and autumnal. I would like to have a lighter direction generally, with a few more blue skies and gloss and panache.

I agree with most of that and it's a good point about Craig's acting style. I think it's probably best to have the writing suit the actor's portrayal of the character, which worked well for Moore and Dalton. The biggest problem I had with Brosnan's portrayal is that his real strengths as an actor are in light comedy. He's very very good at it - he's very much in the Cary Grant mode. When the scripts required him to go all dark and brooding, it just didn't suit him quite as well and his performance suffered. I'd use the post-torture scenes from DAD as an example: he's perfectly okay being released from captivity and confronting M but his performance really comes alive when he enters the hotel and starts having a bit of fun. I think having Craig go too "light" might be a bit jarring.
    1- CR. 2- OHMSS. 3- FRWL. 4- GF. 5- DN. 6- TLD. 7- SF. 8- TSWLM. 9- GE. 10- LTK.
    11- TB. 12- OP. 13- LALD. 14- TMWTGG. 15- FYEO. 16- YOLT. 17- TND. 18- QoS.
    19- TWINE. 20- AVTAK. 21- MR. 22- DAF. 23- DAD.
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:

Nicely put. The only thing I'd add is that the next film should simply plough straight ahead and bypass the backstory/character development as much as possible (not totally, of course) and present us, the audience, with a slambang all-action Bond film going as much OTT as they think they can get away with!

I understand your desire....the flip side is your description could easily be mistaken for QOS.
    I'd love an old fashioned scene in M's office with
    M giving a bit of plot then sending Bond off to some
    exotic Location. ;)