Non-Fleming Bond Novels - Where to Start?

RikRik Posts: 66MI6 Agent
I'm someone who has only ever read the Fleming Novels.

I'm now thinking about reading the Non-Fleming titles.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to start?

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,323MI6 Agent
    Yes. Colonel Sun by Robert Markham (but really famous non-thriller writer Kingsley Amis) more or less follows on from the last of the Fleming books, but its set-pieces are not too vivid for me. Still, it reads like Fleming more or less.

The other two would be the novelisations of The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker by Christopher Wood. These other also kind of read like Fleming and have that dark, saucy, decadent side missing in just about all the other continuation novels. Other than that, I personally wouldn't bother, though the new Solo by Boyd may be in the Kingsley Amis league, thing is, writers don't really write like Fleming these days, the prose is all watered down.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I have to agree with NP, Col Sun is a terrific Book. as are TSWLM & Moonraker by C Wood. all read
    like Fleming novels. I personally like the J Gardner books, Don't rate the R Benson novels too much
    and quite enjoyed Devil may Care. I'm looking forward to Solo but my hopes aren't high. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • RikRik Posts: 66MI6 Agent
    Cheers folks
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    There is a Bond book of the month thread, were you can post your views on the novels. We've just done CR so next month will be LALD.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    Colonel Sun,James Bond --The Spy Who Love Me,James ,James Bond and Moontaker,all of Raymond Benson.
  • oscar rubiooscar rubio Madrid (Spain)Posts: 286MI6 Agent
    Agree,you need read Coronel Sun,and next,The Jhon Gardner´s book
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    Colonel Sun is the only non-Fleming book that I consider just as good as Fleming's novels.

I'm not a fan of Benson's work, but I do like several Gardner novels. The quality of his books tends to be all over the place though. The first three are reliable choices.

I also seem to be one of the few who really liked Deaver's Carte Blanche.
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
  • samainsysamainsy EarthPosts: 6MI6 Agent
    edited July 2013
    Licence To Kill.
  • BodieBodie Posts: 211MI6 Agent
    Basically start and finish with Colonel Sun. Amis is the only continuation author who captured Fleming's Bond. Haven't read Solo yet so don't know about Boyd.