New Billy Reid coats aren't 100% wool.

Comments

• Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent
    96mn12 wrote:

Pics as requested

image001.jpg

photo.jpg

Thanks for the pics. The charcoal looks nice.

The news about the cotton peacoat is intriguing. I assume it will be a peacoat cut from material like that in the Billy Reid Walking Coat.
  • RDunnRDunn Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    I just also recently received the BR Peacoat after 2 month wait. I have to say it's beautiful. Great details and the medium fits perfect. I was a little disappointed too when I saw the 80/20 label. It was advertised as 100% wool all along on the Billy Reid website. I did not get a notice in those two months wait of the change. All that said, I like the look and qualities of the wool/nylon blend. I think we all understand the benefits of a 100% wool coat, and thats what is driving some of these posts. In my opinion, it's all about what your primary use of this coat is. If you want it for a deck on the ship in the North Atlantic, then 100% wool with all it's qualities and benefits would be important. On the other hand, if you want it to wear it around town I prefer the blended wool. I know one of the reasons I wanted to get this coat is because of the fashion aspect. It looks and fits great, and is very unique. The blend has the sleek look that I like. A 100% wool coat tends to look like a wool coat, once it's broken in (pilling...etc.). The blend once broken in will be softer and yet still have the smooth look and texture that I like. Also, an 80 wool/20 nylon blends are more durable and stay nicer looking longer. I think thats the reason most of Burberry wool coats are wool blends.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    If I understand the majoity of the collectors here correctly, they are out for something 100% like the original - maybe in a different size.

As the one on screen was likely 100% wool, I for my part would not be happy with an 80/20 wool blend for that reason, but I have cancelled my order already when the limited thing has been extended.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Bondtoys wrote:
    If I understand the majoity of the collectors here correctly, they are out for something 100% like the original - maybe in a different size.

As the one on screen was likely 100% wool, I for my part would not be happy with an 80/20 wool blend for that reason, but I have cancelled my order already when the limited thing has been extended.

Bondtoys,
    I understand the need for accuracy when collecting is the main objective. I'm sure though, that most people here won't just put the coat on a manequin in a glass case and look at it. Everyone would want to wear it and enjoy it. My point is that we all have been told that 100% wool always means more quality, and more monetary value. It's not worth the money if it's a blend. I don't think that's the case. Blended wool (at least 75% wool) has alot of benefits than just 100%. One trait that appeals to me is that it hold the shape and form of the coat better (someone mentioned earlier in a post that their 100% wool started to droop in certain areas.) if you need a coat for work and rain, then 100% would be better (although I wouldn't want to use a beautiful $700 coat for those purposes)
  • roguetrooperXroguetrooperX Posts: 98MI6 Agent
    edited August 2013
    Just tried on a Barbour Peacoat in their new AW13 collection in Selfridges. Very nice. Not 100% wool, same blend as the new BR but at nearly half the cost. I've got a BR, but will be getting this one so that my BR lasts longer. Will source a picture.
  • Alexander BondAlexander Bond Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    edited August 2013
    That charcoal peacoat looks pretty good! I don't see it on the website though, is it already available for sale?

I'm one of the lucky ones that had the opportunity to pick up the older version, but looking at the two pictures (especially the one against the white backdrop), the material seems a bit more... 'flat,' for lack of a better word, compared to the older navy variant, especially around the piping. Then again, that's just based on pictures, which granted can be subjective.

I'm a little bummed though that they switched to the wool blend, especially as I liked the one I had so much that I was just about to pick up a second, identical peacoat. Here's hoping they'll eventually find a new supplier, and aren't just cutting corners...
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    I'm not so sure how much more durable the nylon makes the coat. I had a wool/nylon jacket that pilled and wore out within a couple years. However, my 1940s wool peacoat looks as good as ever. The problem is with today's finer wools. They have a nicer hand (whilst my old peacoat feels like a carpet) but they wear out faster.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Matt S wrote:
    I'm not so sure how much more durable the nylon makes the coat. I had a wool/nylon jacket that pilled and wore out within a couple years. However, my 1940s wool peacoat looks as good as ever. The problem is with today's finer wools. They have a nicer hand (whilst my old peacoat feels like a carpet) but they wear out faster.
    I have heard that the quality of nylon and polyester of today is way better than before. What is the wool content of your wool/nylon jacket?
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    RDunn wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    I have heard that the quality of nylon and polyester of today is way better than before. What is the wool content of your wool/nylon jacket?

I can't remember. I had it almost 10 years ago.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • thelordflasheartthelordflasheart Posts: 310MI6 Agent
    RDunn wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

A friend of mine used to work in men's suiting in the importing of fabrics. He's my best source of advice when it comes to men's suits. I recently bought a "downmarket" version of a more expensive suit in a 70% wool 30% polyester blend. The colour and style make it a fall/winter suit so I wasn't *too* concerned about the poly content. I was quite proud of the colour and pattern, but when I showed it to him he was amazed at it not being 100% wool. In fact, he had me take it to a friend of his who makes bespoke suits and show him the fabric. This gentlemen knew right away that it wasn't pure wool but said that the new mixes are so much better than in the past that he'd have no problem recommending the fabric to a client!

All to say that I don't view poly mixes as the kiss of death anymore. Due to it wearing warmer I would never have it in a spring/summer item of clothing but I have no problem in the cooler months. Like anything, there are better and worse examples but if you're patient you can find some gems.

And best of all, I never have to worry about finding holes in the suit as I did with one very expensive pair of pants due to moths.
    96mn12, is the charcoal peacoat 100% wool? Graham's email stated it was, but I received an email from the company saying it was 80/20 like the navy version.

I guess we'll know for sure when the coat appears on the Billy Reid site in a few weeks.
  • 96mn1296mn12 Posts: 632MI6 Agent
    No. 80/20
  • KaruraKarura Posts: 23MI6 Agent
    I just know I'm not going to buy any more Billy Reid stuff in the future, given their bait and switch practices. I received a "lesser" coat and wasn't happy, and thankfully they exchanged it, but the new one, like you guys have mentioned already is 80/20. While the new coat is better than the first one I got, it is still not the same as the original. I know because I also have the original coat in a larger size, bought as a gift for someone else, and that is the real deal. It's too bad.
    Karura wrote:
    I just know I'm not going to buy any more Billy Reid stuff in the future, given their bait and switch practices. I received a "lesser" coat and wasn't happy, and thankfully they exchanged it, but the new one, like you guys have mentioned already is 80/20. While the new coat is better than the first one I got, it is still not the same as the original. I know because I also have the original coat in a larger size, bought as a gift for someone else, and that is the real deal. It's too bad.

What happened with your original coat? I recall someone getting a couple peacoats with button problems. Was your issue similar?
    I have a J Crew Bayswater peacoat 100% wool. I'm wondering if anyone has one and can compare the wool between that and the 100% Bond one. Thanks.
  • KaruraKarura Posts: 23MI6 Agent
    What happened with your original coat? I recall someone getting a couple peacoats with button problems. Was your issue similar?

I have handled three of them. I bought two at first, one for myself (Peacoat A), one for my brother (Peacoat B). To my dismay, both of them were vastly different, in every way.

Peacoat A: Small fits like a too-large unstructured blazer, fabric is softer and has an almost lavender shade to it. Not very dark/true navy. Looks like I put a bag over myself.

Peacoat B: Medium fits tight, and looks SHARP! This coat actually fits me better than the small. Fabric feels tougher, more "structured" and has form. Brown leather trim. I don't know if this is SA or not, but it is the coat to have.

Peacoat C: This is what I got in exchanged for A, it has a slightly darker colour than A, fits snug, and leather trim is black. I'm not complaining about this one. It's not the same as B, but it'll do. Slightly different.

Edit: Peacoat A doesn't actually look lavender, I just say that to illustrate how it is a much lighter shade than B, which looks like a proper true, rich navy. It has a washed-out navy look to it.
  • kaddkadd Posts: 917MI6 Agent
    The new charcoal coat is up on the BR site
    http://www.billyreid.com/product/peacoat-charcoal.html

Also they've re-jigged the site so there are some new photos of the navy peacoat
    http://www.billyreid.com/product/peacoat-navy-7.html
    In the new photos you can see the leather accents are now a very dark brown.

The BR site mistakenly lists the charcoal as 100% wool when it is an 80/20 wool poly blend.

I also see they removed the dimensions of the navy peacoat.
    I had the chance to try on the new version of the BR peacoat today and I was very impressed. I've not seen the older 100% wool versions in the real world so I have no way of comparing the two, but as it is the new one is very nice. The material feels very nice and it's quite stylish. The only bad thing that I would say is that they seem to fit a little large. I see that someone upthread mentioned that there seemed to be inconsistent sizing so if I go back I'll try on two or three smalls to see if they fit differently. I could have worn my suit jacket under the one I tried on.

Speaking of which, BR also has a very nice coat which is very similar to what Matt S just featured on his blog:

http://thesuitsofjamesbond.com/?p=3148
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    There sizing must be dodgy. I have a XXL and its a little tight lol and im a Large in the Levi Menlo!!!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    At first I wondered if it was just a matter of taste - lots of people here seem to prefer their clothes to fit looser than I do. But then I noticed people mentioning inconsistent sizing. I'll be back there tomorrow so I'll try a couple of different smalls. I wonder if the jackets are handmade? Strange to think that machine produced goods would have variations in the sizing, although I noticed that with some Adidas clothing I've tried on...
    welshboy78 wrote:
    There sizing must be dodgy. I have a XXL and its a little tight lol and im a Large in the Levi Menlo!!!
  • DBSDBS Los Angeles, CAPosts: 1,015MI6 Agent
    I've noticed that more with mislabeled sizing, i.e. the wrong tag sewn into a garment. With the number of All Saints Iggys that have passed through my hands, about 25% had incorrect sizing labels.

Kind regards,
    Craig
  • kaddkadd Posts: 917MI6 Agent
    I am now the proud owner of one of these BR peacoats! I love it. I bought a Medium in the navy from the NY store. I know the wool content is different to the original, but it feels soft yet sturdy. But beggars can't be choosers. Can't wait to get this back to London!

The fit is great and will look good for the shanghai outfit and also layering with chunky sweaters in winter. But I can see why some may think it runs big. If I didn't want to use it for layering the M could be slightly too big.

Just FYI I use a M in the commander with light jumpers, but I use a large in the tokito for thicker jumpers and to also tuck in the storm flap.
    It's funny, I tried on some All Saints Iggys and thought that I was trying on different styles as they fit differently. But they were all the same style and size, the only difference was the colour/wash. Yet waist sizing and rise were different.

Man, I feel so fortunate to live in a city where I can try these things on in person before buying...
    DBS wrote:
    I've noticed that more with mislabeled sizing, i.e. the wrong tag sewn into a garment. With the number of All Saints Iggys that have passed through my hands, about 25% had incorrect sizing labels.

Kind regards,
    Craig
  • inertiainertia Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    edited September 2013
    Hey everyone,

This thread has been pretty helpful so I thought I would register and throw in my experience. I got both the small in charcoal and navy to see which one I liked better. Sizing wise both were identical in measurements and cut, the only difference was material, 80/20 vs 100. I preferred the color and feel of the charcoal 100% wool.

The only problem is I think the tend to run a little large so you can layer underneath, I'm contemplating going to the store and trying on the xs before I make a final decision.But it seems like they only make the navy coat in the xs size. Oh well, hope this helps someone make up their mind, I'm 5'11 160.
    I find it interesting that people are saying the peacoat runs a bit large. I'm use to Billy Reid running a bit on the small side. I usually wear a size large, but in the Billy Reid topcoats I usually wear an extra large, and even then there is not much room for layering beyond a light sweater.

Regarding the peacoats, I'm not even sure if the Billy Reid site still lists the dimensions of the peacoat anymore. The dimensions of the older peacoats seemed to be very inconsistent, especially the sleeve length. Can anyone who owns both the older and newer coats confirm if they run the same size?
  • Batman007Batman007 Posts: 36MI6 Agent
    I say that this coat runs true to size.
  • PhilweezerPhilweezer Posts: 68MI6 Agent
    edited October 2013
    If anyone cares, the current 20% off code works on the peacoat. Ends 10/20.
  • UNCLE27UNCLE27 EnglandPosts: 1,118MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the information! :007)
  • roguetrooperXroguetrooperX Posts: 98MI6 Agent
    Philweezer wrote:
    If anyone cares, the current 20% off code works on the peacoat. Ends 10/20.

Have you got the code? Cheers