The Living Daylights?

Comments

• MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia, PAPosts: 753MI6 Agent
    Both Moore and Dalton are amazing and I will hear no different :D
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

AAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhh, there are moments on AJB where my heart overflows with love and joy!
    Moments when I realize how great my life is! :D
    Moments when I know my place in the 007 universe! -{

Asp9mm!
    - Mate! -{
    - Friend! -{
    - Sister! -{
    - Best friend forever! -{
    - Sister in Arms! -{

I want to hug you! :x
    I want to kiss you! :x
    I want to have sex with you for the rest of my life! :x
    I will buy you a drink! {[]
    Hell, no I will buy you TWO drinks! {[] {[]
    Your lifelong diamond 7-star membership pass for the Misty-Eyed-Fanclub is on the way! :x

Don't get me wrong - you are still an idiot with all your silly snakes, butterknifes and waterpistols - but I can all forgive you!
    You TOTALLY NAILED IT!

All these years fighting a lonely battle against all these Dalton Fanboys have been worth it and now we are writing history!
    All these years that I have been humiliated, my signature has been terrorized, I have faced hate and laughter!
    We will tear down these pink tinted glasses from their faces and they will see Dalton like we do!
    And one day, all these people will admit that we have been right!

First raw Sir Miles, Barbel and DELL DEATON!

They will be on their knees and say, that THEY HAVE BEEN WRONG!

And as soon as they rewatch these 2 crappy movies, they will realize: "Bondtoys has been right! He HAS MISTY EYES!!!"
    They can't get it out of their heads and they WILL REALIZE THE TRUTH!

Let me add to your list every moment that he sees Kara and particularly when he pops that balloon.

Now that we are together, we will TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond !
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,335Chief of Staff
    ..why am I suddenly reminded of Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal in a cafe? "I'll not have what he's been having". :))
    but I'll keep looking as I enjoy his films LTK being one if my favourites. :D

that'll change very soon :v

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,582Chief of Staff
    After that post Bondtots, I think Asp9mm has just come to his senses and realised just how wrong he was :D
    YNWA 97
    yeah, anything that he pretends to be now is worthless... :v
    We have his real opinion written above :D

So did you adjust your agenda with Dell already for the apologizing tour? :v

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :)) Bond toys has a wicked sense of humor, -{ Which sometimes makes it hard for me, as I'm
    a bit naive, or innocent at times, so don't always pick up on it. Although I don't dismiss anyone's
    views now, without checking it out. Of the scenes mentioned I quickly looked at them on my tablet
    and can't see the weepy eyes.
    Maybe if people stopped staring so deeply into those romantic piercing eyes, and fantasizing about what
    might have been. :x and look at other parts of the screen they might be able to appreciate the rest of the film. :p
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    you should not look at a tray, get a large TV or an iPad :D and you'll see what all of us :D mean!

• BIG TAMBIG TAM Wrexham, North Wales, UK.Posts: 773MI6 Agent
    Keep changing my mind as to which I prefer between TLD & LTK. Currently leaning towards TLD.
  • Mr MalloryMr Mallory North by northwestPosts: 632MI6 Agent
    After Craig, Dalton is the best . LTK is good, I could see Craig being in it.
    What makes you think this is my first time?
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,582Chief of Staff
    Bondtoys wrote:
    So did you adjust your agenda with Dell already for the apologizing tour? :v

Yes we have....and we can accept your unreserved apology any Tuesday, Thursday or the second Wednesday of the month -{

:p
    YNWA 97
    :)) Bond toys has a wicked sense of humor, -{ Which sometimes makes it hard for me, as I'm
    a bit naive, or innocent at times, so don't always pick up on it. Although I don't dismiss anyone's
    views now, without checking it out. Of the scenes mentioned I quickly looked at them on my tablet
    and can't see the weepy eyes.
    Maybe if people stopped staring so deeply into those romantic piercing eyes, and fantasizing about what
    might have been. :x and look at other parts of the screen they might be able to appreciate the rest of the film. :p

tssss, professional photographer and can't see the obvious... :p

Professional, Yes, Good, ........ who knows. ;) :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Thanks, CA, but I was being sarcastic :D

He crazyness of the fanatic Timboys goes so far that they only realize the better part in their idol's movies.
    Dalton said that his interpretation would be a hard - edged Bond but it was at the end more a wimpy schoolboy what came out with an at best a self-conflicted note which totally lacks Connerys or Moores self-confidence (admittedly the Fleming Bond was like that but not weepy :D )

If Moore for example would have brought the "salt corrosion line", the Dalton fanboys would go 8-) - Dalton in their opinion did it cool.

Realistic - down to eath? What happened then with the policemen's legs when the laser cut them in pieces?
    What is simply laughable is that weaker parts of the Dalton movies " have been done with Moore still in mind" and the better parts have been invented by Dalton at least.
    That I wanted to emphasize with my sarcastic note.

Sarcastic or not, you were still right! :D
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    edited March 2014
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Thanks, CA, but I was being sarcastic :D

He crazyness of the fanatic Timboys goes so far that they only realize the better part in their idol's movies.
    Dalton said that his interpretation would be a hard - edged Bond but it was at the end more a wimpy schoolboy what came out with an at best a self-conflicted note which totally lacks Connerys or Moores self-confidence (admittedly the Fleming Bond was like that but not weepy :D )

If Moore for example would have brought the "salt corrosion line", the Dalton fanboys would go 8-) - Dalton in their opinion did it cool.

Realistic - down to eath? What happened then with the policemen's legs when the laser cut them in pieces?
    What is simply laughable is that weaker parts of the Dalton movies " have been done with Moore still in mind" and the better parts have been invented by Dalton at least.
    That I wanted to emphasize with my sarcastic note.

I confess I do not have as much vested emotional interest in the EON series as I do the novels - as much as I enjoy them. Though they do their best to keep Fleming's creation alive in spirit, they have to trade off the bits they feel might not fly at the box office, because the bottom line is all commercial film is a profit and not a not-for-profit business.

Though I do not consider myself a "fanboy" of any of the actors who have played Bond, I do have preferences in relation to how close physically they appear to the original. Dalton for me (since Lazenby) was the first to have the dark cruel looks I saw when reading the novels. I could never picture Connery, as much as I tried, because no amount of "dressing up" in clothes or manners by Terence Young disguised the fact he had been a bodybuilder/lorry driver. Moore was okay, but he didn't look anything like a pirate (the way Bond was described once in the novels). Brosnan had Bond's build and right height and weight and he was fine, but again he was a little to "model handsome" like Moore to convince me he could be cruel.
    Now Craig. He's under six feet and has fair hair (though so did Rog in the last films) but his serious take on the role and his light middleweight to heavyweight boxer build (Bond did boxing and judo) and what I consider cruel - not model good looks have me in his corner as Bond.

I put all that out first to show my preferences in relation to the actors. Dalton my not be everyone's cup of tea in his take on the character and
    some may nitpick at any of the actors particular look or acting in the films, but for me I felt a sense of relief when I first saw TLD after years of Moore and EON's schizophrenic writing with his films (parody?serious?parody?serious?).

The only moments I felt a little let down by Tim was when he was trying to be flippant with the bad one liner's (like the salt corrosion line), but I forgave him because the writer's were trying to keep that light irreverent tone they had done to the extreme in the Moore films and it just seemed glaringly out of place coming from Dalton and in relation to the seriousness of the plots.

When I mention the irreverent tone and bad puns in the Moore films I'm not blaming Moore for this. I enjoyed his performances and thought he did a fine job in his interpretation (and the writer's). No,I blame EON as a whole for taking the series too many times to the almost parody like take on Fleming's work since they were now just making up the plots in a template like fashion (cue the supercriminal/martini/Aston/Q/blowing up the lair, etc.).

When they decided to do a "light" reboot with Dalton, they went a little more real in terms of plot and character, but still were too afraid of losing box office by jettisoning the mediocre wit and scifi weapons from the previous films. That's why we still got the laser cutting the police car scene and the bad salt corrosion line and Q's "ghetto blaster". They would work in an entry like DAF or TSWLM but just seemed out of place with Dalton and the whole Soviet/Afghanistan plot (at least to me). At least they finally ditched the supercriminal remakes of GF and YOLT. That is why I would disagree that Dalton was "cool" with the puns. I don't think any of the actors come across as great or stylish or awesome by having to speak the bad puns the writers insist on putting in the dialogue. I can take it once or twice in the whole film if they're actually witty and done right ("I think they were on their way to a funeral" -DN or "no chocolate?" -CR). Actually, I prefer the humor to be just within the scene as opposed to a single line quoteable pun:

Bond: I read your obituary of me.

M: And?

Bond: Appalling.

M: Yeah, I knew you'd hate it. I did call you "an exemplar of British fortitude".

Bond: That bit was all right.
  • Dexter SmytheDexter Smythe Close to Fort KnoxPosts: 47MI6 Agent
    I think Dalton did a terrific job.LD is a smashing film.It's the one film of the 23 that I almost forget all of the action scenes every time I see it.Dalton is the best actor of the six and at times it shows.(Popping the balloon after Saunders is killed or -when he finds Felix in the bag in LTK) TLD probably has the most complicated plot of any film in the series and I think this a plus as I like to think a little with my action scenes.The cargo plane deal with him fighting Necros while the bomb ticks away are straight out of Hitchcock.LOVED IT!!!
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote:
    :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

AAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhh, there are moments on AJB where my heart overflows with love and joy!
    Moments when I realize how great my life is! :D
    Moments when I know my place in the 007 universe! -{

Asp9mm!
    - Mate! -{
    - Friend! -{
    - Sister! -{
    - Best friend forever! -{
    - Sister in Arms! -{

I want to hug you! :x
    I want to kiss you! :x
    Hell, no I will buy you TWO drinks! {[] {[]
    Your lifelong diamond 7-star membership pass for the Misty-Eyed-Fanclub is on the way! :x

Don't get me wrong - you are still an idiot with all your silly snakes, butterknifes and waterpistols - but I can all forgive you!
    You TOTALLY NAILED IT!

All these years fighting a lonely battle against all these Dalton Fanboys have been worth it and now we are writing history!
    All these years that I have been humiliated, my signature has been terrorized, I have faced hate and laughter!
    We will tear down these pink tinted glasses from their faces and they will see Dalton like we do!
    And one day, all these people will admit that we have been right!

First raw Sir Miles, Barbel and DELL DEATON!

They will be on their knees and say, that THEY HAVE BEEN WRONG!

And as soon as they rewatch these 2 crappy movies, they will realize: "Bondtoys has been right! He HAS MISTY EYES!!!"
    They can't get it out of their heads and they WILL REALIZE THE TRUTH!

Let me add to your list every moment that he sees Kara and particularly when he pops that balloon.

Now that we are together, we will TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond !

Calm down you mad bitch
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:
    Bondtoys wrote:

Calm down you mad bitch

Should I be concerned? That's why I'm buying a watch that is repellant to him.

Still, he is right about that uncool kid that got bullied in the playground and then grew up and somehow got the Bond gig.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    No, you are buying a boring watch. Simple as that!

I still like the last sentence though :D
    When I saw the balloon scene at first - I was soooo embarrassed! And still am when i see it again - which fortunately does not happen very often.

Dalton wore a Sub :# Time to change :D
    :)) :)) :)) You fancy the Dalton of all Rolexes :)) :)) :))

Dell Deaton will come up with a breaking news that you decided for his favourite watch :D

I was wore one before he did. 5513, the king of Subs.
    Asp9mm wrote:
    I was wore one.....

Is that english or kind of poison-drunk wallybally?

I put it in german-english for you to better understanding of the words :))
    You know, Jamie Foxx has the same weepy eyes and expression as Dalton. He can never quite pull off being a hard man in exactly the same way. He was no Tubbs.
    :)) He seemed pretty tough in Django Unchained. -{
    But he was never trying to be cool in that role. That is where they fail I think. You can try too hard. He did that in Miami Vice and he came across as weak, weepy and wrong. Didn't work. Don't even watch White House Down.
    For me ALL the casting in Miami Vice was wrong, :)) and M Mann must have told everyone to mumble
    every line. :))
  • BIG TAMBIG TAM Wrexham, North Wales, UK.Posts: 773MI6 Agent
    I like THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS a lot. With its government-sanctioned assassinations, defections, safe-houses & duplicitous Generals it has a nice '60s Cold War feel to it. I only like LICENCE TO KILL more because the vengeance plot was fresh in 1989 & I'm all for new directions.

THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS doesn't really make that many bold steps to move away from the Moore era. There are still Q-branch sight-gags, the cello-case getaway wouldn't look out of place in the previous two films & the stunts are as OTT as ever. Tonally, it has a lot in common with FOR YOUR EYES ONLY. That it feels significantly different is down to Dalton's take on the role.

I remember a STARBURST review from the time saying it was a shock to see somebody acting the role of 007, so used were we to Moore playing himself. This statement's a little unfair on Moore but I understand the point being made. Like Connery, Dalton is approaching it all with a straight face, allowing people like me to actually take this stuff seriously. A Bond like MOONRAKER sets out its stall from the get-go. It's a fantasy, not to be taken remotely seriously. So one adjusts one's mind-set accordingly.

Dalton took over from a popular actor & did a damn good job, but he had the bad luck of being twenty years ahead of his time. As has been said many times, it's a crying shame Dalton couldn't have had a third shot with the shoulder-holster.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    TLD is ok, but, tbh, I hated Kara. A mid-ranking bond film overall for me. I honestly preferred all the other 80's films to it (The 80's RM films get WAY too much flak)
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby