Your biggest 'that pissed me off' moment in each movie?

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    In Ohmss, The Indian girl ate rice etc, The Irish girl would eat potatoes
    not racist but a stereotype ( in my book anyway ).
    The girl had to come from somewhere they had gorillas, hence why
    She isn't English etc.
    Each to their own but I don't think these scenes were meant to be racist.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    I don't think these scenes were meant to be racist.
    Possibly not, but they more or less play that way to me.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    We missed the German girl trying to swallow a big German sausage ! :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    We missed the German girl trying to swallow a big German sausage ! :))
    Ahh, the famous TP wit... (okay, I won't complete that). :))
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    She isn't English etc.

Perhaps those scenes were not intended to be racist, but the scene with the Black woman sure came across that way. And if I'm not mistaken, I believe she is supposed to be from Jamaica. No matter, though, seeing her eating the banana and then doing an exaggerated eye-roll makes me wince every time. X-(
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    She isn't English etc.
    I agree -- the point seemed to be they were allergic to foods common to diets where they came from not that the diets were meant to imply racist ideas.

If anything, I thought the fact that the banana was so phallic was more an issue than a connotation of race.
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Like Gassy Man said, they would be Allergic to Foods that come from there Country of Origin. I don't think there was anything Racist behind it. What's ironic, is that in the Novel all the Girls are English.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    So they'd just be knocking back the cider.
    White Lighting? :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Gassy Man wrote:
    She isn't English etc.
    I agree -- the point seemed to be they were allergic to foods common to diets where they came from not that the diets were meant to imply racist ideas.

If anything, I thought the fact that the banana was so phallic was more an issue than a connotation of race.

Certainly the idea of showing the women eating the foods they are allergic to makes logical sense, and if bananas are indigenous to the Black woman's homeland then I'm willing to give the film-makers the benefit of the doubt. Nevertheless, there have been so many ignorant, racist comparisons of Black people to apes and monkeys that I think a little more sensitivity could have been shown. Again, that moment didn't ruin the movie for me, but jumped out at me from the very first time I saw it and to me it is cringe worthy.
    Have you read Live And let Die Blackleiter ?
    Have you read Live And let Die Blackleiter ?

Yes I have, and I believe I mentioned in another topic that I had real difficuly with some of the racism displayed in its depiction of Black people. I realize the novel was written in a different era, but that didn't make it any easier for me to get through some of the uglier passages. It's a real shame, too, because I thought the book was pretty good in many other respects.
    It's one of the best of the Fleming Novels. I too, wince at some of the Descriptions of Black People in it.
    Agreed LALD is full of racist terms :# and I'm sure if made today
    the scene in OHMSS would look very different.
    Firemass wrote:
    Firemass wrote:
    Like M rambling on about her late husband as if she's stalling for time, while ignoring the latest intel that Silva has escaped.
    I always looked at that as M's way of getting her point across. She knew there was no escaping. She wanted these people to see the point she was making firsthand, and she was ready to give her life, hence staring into the eyes of Silva.

To get her point across, M felt it necessary to massacre a bunch of innocent people in the court room?

They should have evacuated and gone into full alert lockdown procedures. There was plenty of time to escape. That's probably the hardest part of Skyfall to watch because it drives me nuts. X-(
    M didn't massacre anyone. There was supposed to be security around the proceedings. Silva (too easily) overcame them. In her speech, M was saying she was digging in her heels -- the poem was a somewhat hamfisted way of making that point with dialogue. . She knew she was a target and she seemed resigned to the fact that if he wanted her, he would get her. But she didn't now how or when the next attack could happen.

To assume that a group of civilians could just go into "full lockdown" is asking for quite a bit considering they were under the impression they were fully guarded and that the attack was incredibly swift. I worked in a courthouse for more than three years and can tell you that although weapons routinely were taken off of someone trying to enter the courthouse, if someone was determined to get in there with one, there was little more that could be done than to respond after the attack. Skyfall makes mistakes, but other than the ease with which Silva (and Bond) enters, the scene is not one of them.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,349Chief of Staff
    in the Novel all the Girls are English.

No, they aren't, AlphaOmegaSin. 8-) Go back and read it again! :))
  • L JonesL Jones Posts: 131MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    L Jones wrote:
    DAF - Having a black woman "transform" into an ape in a scene at the Vegas hotel, Circus Circus. Very racist.
    How about in the preceding film, where a black woman's allergy was to bananas. That was two really bad ones in a row. 8-)

Her character was from Jamaica and there was a reason she was allergic to bananas. Each woman was allergic to a product that was common in their country or region.
    Gassy Man wrote:
    She isn't English etc.

Certainly the idea of showing the women eating the foods they are allergic to makes logical sense, and if bananas are indigenous to the Black woman's homeland then I'm willing to give the film-makers the benefit of the doubt. Nevertheless, there have been so many ignorant, racist comparisons of Black people to apes and monkeys that I think a little more sensitivity could have been shown. Again, that moment didn't ruin the movie for me, but jumped out at me from the very first time I saw it and to me it is cringe worthy.
    I know what you mean. Her exaggerated eye roll is silly, and the Asian girl moons over Bond so much it's annoying, too -- neither character gets even one line on top of it. I sometimes wonder if filmmakers try harder to make minorities look goofy so that non-minorities by comparison look better, even when the context of the scene isn't trying to be prejudiced.
  • L JonesL Jones Posts: 131MI6 Agent
    I know what you mean. Her exaggerated eye roll is silly, and the Asian girl moons over Bond so much it's annoying, too -- neither character gets even one line on top of it.

You found her eyeroll exaggerated? ?:) ?:)

The Jamaica and Chinese women were not the only ones who did not get a line. Neither did some of the European women.
    L Jones wrote:
    You found her eyeroll exaggerated? ?:) ?:)
    It was positively dopey. :))
    Barbel wrote:
    in the Novel all the Girls are English.

No, they aren't, AlphaOmegaSin. 8-) Go back and read it again! :))

I meant to say all from the British Isles :))
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,349Chief of Staff
    ...that's more like it. :)
    Been a while since I read the Novel (Early last Year) :))
    It's the Bond Book of the month for May ( The spy who loved me, is Aprils ), I'll be
    re-reading it. I have to say reading the books in order is fantastic you really can see
    Fleming grow as a writer and Bond as a character. -{
    The Spy Who Loved Me was quit a Slog to read through (In my Experience)
    :)) I've only ever read it Once, and yes it was a bit of a chore But I had to
    to say I'd read all the books. :)) Although it is a short Book and the last third
    really is Good when Bond turns up.
    Yeah, and I've always liked how the Police Officer tells Vivian not to trust Bond and others in his Position.
    I always rememberd how Fleming writes that Women love men despite their Bodies
    not because of them. :)) as he was saying how badly designed the male body was :D
    always found that amusing.
    He was right though, our Privates are all exposed :#
    I prefer the term " Displayed " :))