Mel Gibson interview about Bond around 1988

Comments

• AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Ironic considering that he most likely of British Decent Himself 8-)
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    He was hot stuff in movies then, but once again almost every actor
    in some interview or other will slip in how he was considered for
    Bond. :)) I'd go so far as to say that even any " resting " actor working
    as a waiter who serves Barbara Broccoli at a function, will quickly
    Update their CV to say how they had been considered. :))
    I don't know why he has a chip on his shoulder against the British, I
    Guess it just helps his list of people to hate get longer. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Dalkowski110Dalkowski110 Posts: 1,314MI6 Agent
    edited May 2014
    I don't know why he has a chip on his shoulder against the British, I
    Guess it just helps his list of people to hate get longer.

I don't agree with them at all, but believe me when I say I know a couple Australians that really, intensely dislike the British. To these individuals, ANZAC Day isn't about commemorating their dead, but rather verbally bashing the daylights out of the British for sending them in first (as if Ypres or Mons didn't happen...). This particular subgroup of Australians seem to be of the opinion that the British used them for cannon fodder in WWI and refused to listen to Sir John Monash until the bitter end*, under-equipped the Australian Army and Royal Australian Air Force in WWII**, refused to listen to Lt. General Sir Horace Robertson*** in Korea, trumped up charges against Breaker Morant and company**** in the Second Boer War fifty years before that, etc, etc.

These people aren't inherently racist (inherently and irrationally angry would be a better description)--one I know personally is 3/4 Aboriginal descent, another I know is Jewish--but it's almost a mixture of having too long a memory combined with the feeling of "hate America extending to all Americans" that one will occassionally find in Western Europe. I found it hard to put into words in my initial post, but no James Bond actor should come from that pool, ever. Period.

*Montgomery was of the opinion that Monash was the best commander of any military fielded in WWI, it should be noted.
    **The Australian Army's decision-making regarding new equipment between the Wars was pretty lousy while the RAAF was jointly equipped by the British and the Americans--the latter of whom provided the Aussies with the P-47D Thunderbolt, which was quite possibly better than anything else in the Pacific at destroying the famous Japanese Mitsubishi A6M Zero.
    ***Not even Robertson's superiors could stand him thanks to his grating personality. Although he was correct in his assessment of Chinese involvement, the fact that Douglas MacArthur also ignored him consistently is often overlooked (and Chesty Puller listening to him was probably a testament to Puller, not Robertson).
    ****Given that Alfred Taylor probably falsified way more evidence than is looked at by either side against Morant, Handcock, and Witton, is it any wonder that a courts-martial would convict them?
    By the way, are you gonna eat that?
    Very interesting Dalkowski110, I didn't know that. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Most of the Australians I've come across have no Problem with us :)
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    I've learned much on AJB, I never knew that even modern Japan
    Doesn't like foreigners , I guess in many ways I'm kind of naive
    I always thought the Australia v England thing was just leg pulling
    as with, the jokes about the North of England calling southerner's
    Soft etc.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,580Chief of Staff
    the jokes about the North of England calling southerner's
    Soft etc.

Jokes ? I don't think so...no love lost there at all...
    YNWA 97
    See how much I'm learning :#
  • bond2002bond2002 UKPosts: 55MI6 Agent
    I've learned much on AJB, I never knew that even modern Japan
    Doesn't like foreigners , I guess in many ways I'm kind of naive
    I always thought the Australia v England thing was just leg pulling
    as with, the jokes about the North of England calling southerner's
    Soft etc.

It is leg pulling mainly well the north v south thing anyway well in my own experience
    bond2002 wrote:
    It is leg pulling mainly well the north v south thing anyway well in my own experience

I take you are a southerner ? :))
    YNWA 97
    :)) Sir Miles, holds a grudge. :p
    :)) Sir Miles, holds a grudge. :p

Yea...Southerners and Masons...so woe betide a southern mason :D
    YNWA 97
    :)) :)) :))
  • bond2002bond2002 UKPosts: 55MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    bond2002 wrote:

I take you are a southerner ? :))

no what made you think that :))
  • Dalkowski110Dalkowski110 Posts: 1,314MI6 Agent
    Most of the Australians I've come across have no Problem with us :)

That seems to be the case in my experience. Thing is, the few I encountered who weren't kidding hid it well. I'm certainly not trying to bash any Australians here (except perhaps Mel Gibson), but if you think of it, a person's natural inclination would be to hide something like that if they know it's not rational. I've found many people of multiple nationalities that irrationally hate Americans who would never admit it to me, but would do so to a foreign friend of mine.

The Australians that had serious issues with the British figured I'd somehow understand and agree, being an American. Understand where they were coming from? In some cases yes, especially the ones who had relatives who were held in Japanese POW camps due to Arthur Percival's incompetence in Singapore. But understand and agree? No. The actions taken against their relatives were made by individuals, not an entire people. If they hate Percival's guts, fine. He was criminally stupid. But Archibald Wavell thought the same thing AT THE TIME.
    By the way, are you gonna eat that?
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Ironically, Mel Gibson is an American. He was born in the USA and emigrated to Australia with his family at age 12 and has remained an American Citizen. IMO, just based upon his acting skills, looks, screen persona (ability to do action and comedy), great facility with accents and on-screen charisma, Gibson could have been a great Bond. As far as his shortcomings as a "human being" I don't think being raised in Australia is the culprit (according to an ADL study, Australian's tend not to be anti-semetic in thought or behavior) but his wacky, crank, anti-semetic, Holocoust denying father's influence over him and of course a weakness in personality along with a serious addiction problem.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent
    +1
    He is as you would say " Damaged Goods ! " :#
    Given his latest outburst I'm wondering is Justin Bieber, Mel Gibson's love child ?
  • BunsenPPKBunsenPPK Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 77MI6 Agent
    As an Australian myself, it seems as though Mel Gibson was one of those "Honorary Australians". As in, they originated in another place then came here and found fame or whatever, in Gibson's instance, portraying Max in the Mad Max Trilogy (worth a watch). There are several other cases of this, one that comes to mind immediately is the band 'Dragon', who while from New Zealand are commonly said to be from Australia, leading to the Kiwis saying "we steal their talent" or something.... Anyway, my two cents.
    "I think he got the point"
  • DaltonFan1DaltonFan1 The West of IrelandPosts: 503MI6 Agent
    I find the antipathy towards Mel Gibson very irrational. He was really drunk and said the meanest things he could think of. Then he sobered up and apologised. If he was really a hater of Jews or British people, would he have spent decades working with so many of them? He certainly wouldn't have helped revive the life and career of Robert Downey Jnr, who happens to be half-Jewish.

As far as playing Bond is concerned, I think half the leading men in Hollywood were considered for the role during the 70s and 80s. I think Gibson has a great mix of charisma, wit and intensity that would have made him a great Bond, but then Timothy Dalton might have never played the role.
    Maybe TD could have played Riggs in Lethal Weapon instead.
    “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves.” - Carl Jung
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    DaltonFan1 wrote:
    I find the antipathy towards Mel Gibson very irrational. He was really drunk and said the meanest things he could think of. Then he sobered up and apologised. If he was really a hater of Jews or British people, would he have spent decades working with so many of them? He certainly wouldn't have helped revive the life and career of Robert Downey Jnr, who happens to be half-Jewish.

As far as playing Bond is concerned, I think half the leading men in Hollywood were considered for the role during the 70s and 80s. I think Gibson has a great mix of charisma, wit and intensity that would have made him a great Bond, but then Timothy Dalton might have never played the role.
    Maybe TD could have played Riggs in Lethal Weapon instead.

I don't think the negative feelings many have towards Gibson are irrational at all. Notwithstanding his willingness and ability to work along side Jews during his career, that in no way proves he doesn't harbor anti-Semitic views. John Wayne was a known racist, but he occasionally made films with non-white co-stars. Also, while I realize that individuals say very mean and stupid things when they're drunk, I don't think alcohol can be blamed for bringing to the surface racist feelings if they didn't already have those feelings. For example, when Gibson was yelling at his girlfriend, one of the things he said was he hoped she got raped by a bunch of "N words". Now it's bad enough that he would express such a horrible about a woman, by why add the "N word" comment if he didn't believe that somehow made it worse? To me, that's a manifestation of a racist point of view. There are other examples, but I think you get my point, which is that while I understand you might not agree, there are completely rational reasons to believe Gibson is a racist and an anti-Semite.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    They do say a drunk man tells the truth, if those feelings are
    in you it helps bring them out. :#
    It is also said that actions speak louder than words.
    “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves.” - Carl Jung
    The few times I got drunk, I just told bad jokes.
    Not the usual top quality stuff, I do here. :)) {:)
    DaltonFan1 wrote:
    It is also said that actions speak louder than words.

Very true, but words are not meaningless. For example, "Anti-semitism" is generally understood to refer to discrimination against or prejudice or hostility toward Jews. Certainly Gibson has on more than one occasion expressed hostility towards Jews. Again, I understand if Gibson's words aren't enough to convince you, but my point is that it isn't irrational under these circumstances if others feel differently.
    And the sad thing is being catholic, the KKK wouldn't like him
    Any more than the Jewish or black people he doesn't like either. :#
    This is one crazy mixed up world. 8-) There's always someone picking
    On some group and telling you " Them, They're " the problem. :#
    And the sad thing is being catholic, the KKK wouldn't like him
    Any more than the Jewish or black people he doesn't like either. :#
    This is one crazy mixed up world. 8-) There's always someone picking
    On some group and telling you " Them, They're " the problem. :#

So sad, so true. :#
    A recent article written by a Jewish journalistic and friend of Mel Gibson's making a case in his favour.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/03/mel-gibson-career-hollywood-deserves-chance/
    I'm sure at times Mel is a lovely guy. -{ Hitler loved dogs ;)
    Still this seems to be important to you Daltonfan1. So I'll
    Back out :D