Guns In Real Life

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Infamy, Infamy. They've all got it in for Me. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Although I would love to know ( as I'm not American)
    What's the real story. Just how hard is it to get a gun
    in the US?
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    edited September 2014
    Although I would love to know ( as I'm not American)
    What's the real story. Just how hard is it to get a gun
    in the US?
    State laws differ some; in many states you can just walk into a store, plunk down the cash & walk out with the gun of your choosing. Many states require a three day (or more in some cases) wainting period. In MY state you have to apply for a gun license, which is pretty easy to get as long as you have no criminal history. After you get it you can walk into a store & walk out with weapons.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    Thanks Chrisisall. -{ cleared that up nicely. :D
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    As we all probably agree ,its not the guns that kill people,just the people who use them.Now if say for arguments sake, no one could own/buy/use a gun, we would have ,what we have just witnessed on the streets of London ,(for the benefit of non UK residents ), an old lady of 82, slain,by means of having her head chopped off .Now this poor old lady ,who was some ones mum,nan, sister,ect ,did not deserve to be butchered like this .
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,806MI6 Agent
    First of all: it may be that humans and not guns kill people, but there is no doubt humans can kill far more effectively if they have a gun.
    I also don't see the point of your example about the old woman. Would she have had a better death if the crimminal shot her instead of using a knife? Or would other people on the street have shot the crimminal before she was killed if guns were more common in the UK?
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    First of all: it may be that humans and not guns kill people, but there is no doubt humans can kill far more effectively if they have a gun.
    I also don't see the point of your example about the old woman. Would she have had a better death if the crimminal shot her instead of using a knife? Or would other people on the street have shot the crimminal before she was killed if guns were more common in the UK?

No ,the point I was making ,that people will always find a way to kill each other. So if people cannot get guns,they will use knives.If they cant get knives,they will use iron bars ect.
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    I bore them to death. Or do old Carry on routines. :))

Interesting question if the UK had more guns like America ....
    He could have shot the lady and moved on to shoot more or
    someone else with a gun could have stopped him ?
    or
    someone else with a gun could have stopped him ?
    I'm personally not all about a wild west mentality, but when you get dopes weilding machetes in city streets, suddenly arming at least sane & law abiding females starts to seem like a good idea.
    Number24 wrote:

No ,the point I was making ,that people will always find a way to kill each other. So if people cannot get guns,they will use knives.If they cant get knives,they will use iron bars ect.

Well, that only brings us back to my first point: humans kill, but guns make them more effective killers. I'm pretty sure the police would worry more about a madman with a gun than a madman with knife. The fact that there will always be killers is a weak pro-gun argument since guns are more dangerous than knives, stones or fists. I think statistics show that countries with few handguns in the general population see far fewer murders than countries with relatively many handguns.
    (rifles and shotguns are a different matter. Norwegians have very many guns, but most are for hunting. Our murder rate is very low)
    Number24 wrote:
    statistics show that countries with few handguns in the general population see far fewer murders than countries with relatively many handguns.
    (rifles and shotguns are a different matter. Norwegians have very many guns, but most are for hunting. Our murder rate is very low)
    It's kind of a silly argument if you think about it. Was that old lady going to be carrying a handgun? Lots of folk wouln't want to. Lots of folk that might want to shouldn't due to mental instability or just plan bad termperament. Others just wouldn't want the training & general hassle. Hell, even cops are, generally speaking, pretty bad shots.
    I think getting a gun should be like being a pilot: you have to be REAL good and REAL safe, or you 're out.

Imagine having to train at a gun range to prove a certain level of proficiency before being allowed to own a gun? Heh heh, Law Enforcement would never allow that, and that is what I think a sizeable bit of this is all about. Regulate strongly and intelligently, and large portions the police forces of the United States would have to resign for not being able to pass proficiency and/or mental stability tests.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Nothing we make is good or evil until we use it.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Nothing we make is good or evil until we use it.
    That's what they said about the Doomdsay weapon in Dr. Strangelove....
    :))
    Except, Kittens :x
    chrisisall wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    statistics show that countries with few handguns in the general population see far fewer murders than countries with relatively many handguns.
    It's kind of a silly argument if you think about it. Was that old lady going to be carrying a handgun? Lots of folk wouln't want to. Lots of folk that might want to shouldn't due to mental instability or just plan bad termperament. Others just wouldn't want the training & general hassle. Hell, even cops are, generally speaking, pretty bad shots.
    I think getting a gun should be like being a pilot: you have to be REAL good and REAL safe, or you 're out.

Imagine having to train at a gun range to prove a certain level of proficiency before being allowed to own a gun? Heh heh, Law Enforcement would never allow that, and that is what I think a sizeable bit of this is all about. Regulate strongly and intelligently, and large portions the police forces of the United States would have to resign for not being able to pass proficiency and/or mental stability tests.

Actually that's the system in Norway. You have to be an active member of a pistol club to buy a gun and (I think) pass a gun safty cource before you apply to the police for a permit to buy a handgun. It seems to work. 0.6 out of 100 000 people get murdered every year. In the US 5.62 out of 100 000 gets killed. In the UK it's 1.42 out of 100 000. I'm guessing our police doesn't mind having so few murders to investigate.
    Midsomer murders have that many an episode.. :))
  • cheldcheld Posts: 300MI6 Agent
    edited September 2014
    Number24 wrote:
    I'm pretty sure the police would worry more about a madman with a gun than a madman with knife.

I'm more worried about a madman with a badge.

140814152058-aman-ferguson-police-horizontal-gallery.jpg
    That's very worrying, yes. But an open democracy is a far better defence against madmen with a bag than a gun is. If you shoot a unstable and violent policman you end up in jail. In an open democracy he ends up in a jail.
    ...... Or he ends up as Chief Constable. :))

Seriously, if they are controlled with laws and a licencing system. There shouldn't
    Be too many problems. My late Father-in-law was a farmer and could have had a shotgun
    But he didn't, wouldn't have one about the place. Showing that even though you may
    Have the right to something, it doesn't mean you have to take it up.
    Number24 wrote:
    . In an open democracy he ends up in a jail.
    The problem in America is that's it's not a Democracy; it's a Republic. Elected officials represent for us. Or for corporations or lobbies or friends...
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    Was that old lady going to be carrying a handgun?

Makes me wonder, how the crime rate would be if only women could carry a gun.
    So let's think for a moment that it would be impossible for women to hand over guns to men and that they where the only one to carry guns.

What a peaceful world this would be!

Indeed, MEN are the problem. Michael Moore once said that he did not understand the fear of the US society against black men or muslim looking men. The guys who have the highest murder rate are WHITE MEN - thus the movie Stupid White Men.

And he's right!
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Nice idea -{ most men count on being physical bigger and heavier than
    A woman to intimidate and threaten. So arming women would at least
    Balance the odds.
    Of course once a month all women would have to be disarmed ;)
    Of course once a month all women would have to be disarmed
    :o
    I live in a house with three women, and at Times, it's like walking on eggshells ! :))
    Anything can set them off. :#
    Anything can set them off. :#
    Clearly SOME women would remain unarmed... 8-)
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I live in a house with three women,

You know, sometimes I am feeling really sorry for you :)) :)) :))
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Living with a GF who is Autistic, is always an Adventure :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    I live in a house with three women,

You know, sometimes I am feeling really sorry for you :)) :)) :))

Misty eyed, perhaps? :D
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    chrisisall wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    . In an open democracy he ends up in a jail.
    The problem in America is that's it's not a Democracy; it's a Republic. Elected officials represent for us. Or for corporations or lobbies or friends...

Are you saying all real democracies are monarcies? ?:) :))