Bond's Cosmetics

2»

Comments

• Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    edited March 2015
    MrZareba wrote:
    I actually doubt that - they look naturally very luxurious but Bond rather prefers European makers, especially English! But that's just my opinion, Paul Mitchell is based in US, Tom Ford is based in US... However japanese style doesn't just suit Bond I think, it sounds way too oriental. :)

Ever see YOLT? The man knows his sake...

Kyoku is a U.S. brand and as you said yourself he uses Tom Ford, Paul Mitchell, etc. He definitely uses English products but his razor in the novels is German and in the movies it's American so I don't think it's too much of a stretch.

For Bond (and Fleming), whether it's food or grooming products, it's all about attacking the senses and doing something that thrills him. THAT'S why I think these products would be of interest to him...
  • MrZarebaMrZareba Krakow, PolandPosts: 1,775MI6 Agent
    Maybe you're right! As for YOLT - of course I saw it and despite the fact that he knows the Japanese culture pretty well, hell - Bond even excelled in oriental languages - remember he was under disguise out there, he even transformed into an Asian. Since the brand is American it would make it more likely for him to use it, I'm just not sure if Bond would use a brand of cosmetics based in Asia - it just doesn't sound Daniel Craig-ish for me. Let's remember that his portrayal of Bond is very much based on his own taste, hence why we see a lot of Tom Ford for instance. So something Italian, English or American seems just more likely to use and most importantly - he uses rather traditional stuff!

As for the razors - German cut throat razors from Solingen are considered to be the best in the world so I'm afraid that is a very good explanation for Bond to use them! :)
    It's interesting the things us Bond fans debate about isn't it (all in good fun of course! {[] )

Because I'm as bored as I am I plugged it into Google - Kyoku is headquarted exactly 3.88 miles from Tom Ford in New York AND only 0.4 miles from Billy Reid. Oh yes, Craig might actually use the stuff :)

My view of Bond believe it or not is that he isn't quintessentially British, but worldly. Between the Royal Navy and MI-6 he probably spent more time abroad than home, so he has picked up so much knowledge beyond his own country. He wants the best, wherever it is from. His coffee is from Jamaica. When he arrives in Miami he doesn't order bangers and mash to remind him of home, he goes for the crabs. That kind of thing. If his grooming products had a Japanese bent I think he'd be just fine with that.

Oh and an interesting trivia note - the German razor I was referring to wasn't the Solingen straight from Skyfall but a Hoffritz safety razor (FRWL maybe?). They are still around under the name Merkur. He uses a standard but I use their slant, which I love. Highly recommend.

Cheers!
    Isn't Hoffritz also from Solingen? Because apparently the one in Skyfall was also a vintage Hoffritz razor (I found that info on a website outside ajb007, can't recall where) but I can't seem to find one. I meant that the steel from Solingen based companies is world-class, just like champagne is only from Champagne, France if you know what I mean. :)

As for the rest - you know what, I agree. But the thing is about which Bond you're talking about because I have a feeling that you talk about Bond 'in general', I started this topic rather focused on Daniel Craig's portrayal - so he's not the guy who arrives in New York and grabs a Miller, at least I think so! He wasn't eating anything special in Montenegro besides caviar and a lamb underway, in Turkey he was drinking a Heineken and regardless of the location he seems to enjoy whisky - which makes me think that Daniel Craig's portrayal might not be the Bond who likes to try new things and I understand that - the official dossier said he was born in Berlin to a French mother and an English father. He accepted his English roots and since he's almost always abroad maybe going for English stuff, or at least some of it, is a way for him to connect to his homeland? Might be a reason I guess. One can only guess!
    edited March 2015
    I had to do a little digging on the Merkur/Solingen thing and you're right, they are the same. Although technically (this is where it got complicated) Hoffritz was a separate company back in Fleming's day then it was bought my Merkur who continued to release that razor under it's name (Hoffritz no longer exists). The one thing we don't know is what blade he used because the razor itself is just a cheap pot metal, unlike the Solingen straight, and that's the part that counts. If I had to pick a blade for Bond it would be the Japanese Feather brand, made by the makers of Samurai swords :)

And you are so right that it really does depends on what Bond you're talking about (not just actor but also film vs. book). Meh... makes the debate more fun :)

Anyway, the products are really awesome if you just want to try something different! A Merkur slant with some Italian Proraso works for me personally as something different than the normal drug store stuff, too! That might be a Moore Bond one, though -{ :007)

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Oh and MrZareba to take another stab and trying to find you personal products that Craig's Bond would use... How about No. 7 Men's? Boots is a British as it gets (forgetting that it was just bought by the American Walgreens) and while luxury, it's a little more "Average Joe"

(And if anybody's counting, I can't stand the stuff. I'd send you mine if you didn't live in Poland)

image.jpg
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    MrZareba wrote:
    rebenton wrote:
    Not at all mentioned in anything Bond whatsoever, but I think I get what point you're going for. You want something nice instead of a $3 stick of deo you pick up in a convenience store.

Personally I use L'Occitane deodorant, specifically the Verdon kind which unfortunately was discontinued a while back. However, I've heard good things about their new line called Baux. This would prob be a good place to start. In my opinion, it's very Bond.

Thank you! I have several L'Occitane boutiques in Krakow so I may have a look :) That's exactly my point, I want something "very Bond", not an usual 3$ Rexona deo spray.

I love L'Occitane - and buy my bf shaving stuff from there. It's very high end, and something I think Bond would use B-)

However, I'm sure he would favour British products.
    Truefitt and Hill Est 1805
    http://www.truefittandhill.co.uk/

or Taylor of Old Bond Street Est 1854
    http://www.tayloroldbondst.co.uk/acatalog/talcs-and-deodorants.html
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    This might be across the line a little bit but if you're looking for a premium tissues/kitchen paper/toilet paper brand, check out Renova - they're providing these things for the best hotels acrros the globe :D

Bond however would use probably a traditional cloth nose tissue, it's more classy that way I guess?
  • Enjoying DeathEnjoying Death Toronto, ON CANADAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent
    qbvi wrote:
    MrZ
    No mention of deodorant because Bond is so cool, he doesn't sweat....

btw, Floris 89 was good for Fleming in the 1950s but its has a floral base note so while good for English gentlemen decades ago, probably would not suit Bond for today. Something with a masculine basenote but not any of the trendy brands. Tobacco, woody basenotes sound good. Btw Floris Cefiro is a unisex fragrance and terrific for summer with its citrus smell. Wife and I use it for the hot weather. L'occitance has a very similar citrus fragrance. Hermes Terre is very masculine but classy and understated. Good all rounder for boardroom to weekend sports and dinner with your sexy lady...versatile like Bond...I use this one and can recommend. But fragrances are highly personal so test on your own skin and decide.
    Sid

quote=MrZareba]Gentlemen, I have a question. I got pretty much bored with all these Nivea, Head & Shoulders and other generic shampoos so I was wondering - do you know a good shampoo brand, something that Craig/Bond would actually use? (except those mentioned in the Fleming books). I was thinking about buying a Paul Mitchell Awapuhi bottle but I'm still not convinced.

Also I still didn't get an answer regarding a deodorant that Bond would use! I have zero knowledge in stuff like this so that's why I'm asking you guys.

I believe you are wrong about the base note for Floris 89. It's not a floral at all.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121190.html
    Pussy Galore: “My name is Pussy Galore.”
    Bond: “I must be dreaming.”
  • MrSwindermanMrSwinderman Dover, Ohio, USAPosts: 212MI6 Agent
    Any ideas about hair product other than just Paul Mitchell? Like what was used in Skyfall or even Spectre
  • alphaagentalphaagent Posts: 433MI6 Agent
    qbvi wrote:
    MrZ

btw, Floris 89 was good for Fleming in the 1950s but its has a floral base note so while good for English gentlemen decades ago, probably would not suit Bond for today. Something with a masculine basenote but not any of the trendy brands. Tobacco, woody basenotes sound good. Btw Floris Cefiro is a unisex fragrance and terrific for summer with its citrus smell. Wife and I use it for the hot weather. L'occitance has a very similar citrus fragrance. Hermes Terre is very masculine but classy and understated. Good all rounder for boardroom to weekend sports and dinner with your sexy lady...versatile like Bond...I use this one and can recommend. But fragrances are highly personal so test on your own skin and decide.
    Sid

quote=MrZareba]Gentlemen, I have a question. I got pretty much bored with all these Nivea, Head & Shoulders and other generic shampoos so I was wondering - do you know a good shampoo brand, something that Craig/Bond would actually use? (except those mentioned in the Fleming books). I was thinking about buying a Paul Mitchell Awapuhi bottle but I'm still not convinced.

Also I still didn't get an answer regarding a deodorant that Bond would use! I have zero knowledge in stuff like this so that's why I'm asking you guys.

I believe you are wrong about the base note for Floris 89. It's not a floral at all.

Very far from floral and pretty masculine. Considering he uses the shaving bowl with floris shaving soap which smells of 89, i would say your very mistaken and that Bond is old fashioned in that respect. The fact you can imagine him asking the cashier in "ocitane" for somethimg not too floral but with a hint of citrus, makes me worry greatly about what Bond is becoming or has become to people.
  • Enjoying DeathEnjoying Death Toronto, ON CANADAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent
    alphaagent wrote:
    qbvi wrote:
    MrZ

Sid

Very far from floral and pretty masculine. Considering he uses the shaving bowl with floris shaving soap which smells of 89, i would say your very mistaken and that Bond is old fashioned in that respect. The fact you can imagine him asking the cashier in "ocitane" for somethimg not too floral but with a hint of citrus, makes me worry greatly about what Bond is becoming or has become to people.

I've got a bottle of this and I can vouch that it is very masculine indeed. My wife loves whenever I wear it. ;)
    Pussy Galore: “My name is Pussy Galore.”
    Bond: “I must be dreaming.”
  • lordfancyfacelordfancyface CaliforniaPosts: 17MI6 Agent
    Daniel Craig is a big fan of Kiehl’s skincare — he has been seen purchasing numerous bottles of their skincare on more than one occasion.
    Instagram: johndalessio