Anthony Horowitz's Trigger Mortis (2015) Discussion Thread

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,579Chief of Staff
    But Charlie has said pretty much the same with the previous three :))
    YNWA 97
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :)) That's the trouble with trying to be a nice guy, you can't be nasty
    about other's work. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    :)) That's the trouble with trying to be a nice guy, you can't be nasty
    about other's work. :D

Whereas Kingsley Amis very much spoke his mind about his successor John Gardner. :D
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    He was rather scathing of LR.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    edited June 2015
    He was rather scathing of LR.

Yes, he was scathing of LR in his letters to Philip Larkin (who had reviewed LR for The Times Literary Supplement) and in his review of FSS in 1982 also for the TLS.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Villieurs53Villieurs53 Posts: 34MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:

I'm not sure about that. I had the distinct impression that Charlie's silence about the celebrity trilogy was somewhat deafening. In any event given that he has an advanced copy at this stage of the game it means either Horowitz or his publisher wants an official review and if he tweets "AT LAST a Bond book that is everything it should be" - that's positive in my book.
    I have a feeling this is going to be a stonker.
    I'm very hopeful about Trigger Mortis too. :) -{
    I with September 8th would hurry up :(
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,579Chief of Staff
    Sir Miles wrote:

I'm not sure about that. I had the distinct impression that Charlie's silence about the celebrity trilogy was somewhat deafening. In any event given that he has an advanced copy at this stage of the game it means either Horowitz or his publisher wants an official review and if he tweets "AT LAST a Bond book that is everything it should be" - that's positive in my book.
    I have a feeling this is going to be a stonker.

I'm sure...I know he has said similar positive things about the latter books...even when I spoke to him about his Young Bond books and wanting him to write an 'adult' Bond novel, he was full of praise for them...
    YNWA 97
    Just my two cents but, I think of A Horowitz as a working writer, he's not
    A celebrity name but is a solid producer of quality work. From his TV adaptations
    To his own books. So at worst I expect a competent novel, but my hopes are he'll
    do much better than that. :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    He could be asked to write a follow up :)
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent
    stag wrote:
    Regarding the title Trigger Mortis we have to remember that 'Trigger Finger' was an early title for Ian Fleming's 'The Living Daylights', which of course starred a female assassin called "Trigger". :) -{ -{

Trigger Mortis would have made a good chapter title but IMO remains a terrible choice of main title. IMHO a case of someone trying a little too hard.

I agree. Definitely not up there with the word play of Live and Let Die or You Only Live Twice.

"Trigger Mortis" already has an entry in the Urban Dictionary from 2011:
    A spasm of regret, often originating in the index finger, immediately after hastily sending an email or a text message that may, on reflection, be inappropriate.
    Trigger Mortis is in fact, rather Flemenesqe -{
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent
    Trigger Mortis is in fact, rather Flemenesqe -{

Maybe, but it was already in use back then. There was a pulp mystery titled Trigger Mortis back in 1958, written by Frank Lane.

I will concede that Trigger Mortis is a better title than Solo (expecting a "Man from UNCLE" book :D ) or some of the movie titles. Die Another Day? Really?
    Great news - James Bond will drive a Bentley in Trigger Mortis:

http://www.thebookbond.com/2015/06/james-bond-will-drive-bentley-in.html
    Lets hope Bond doesn't smash it up :))
    It is Bond, it will probably end up in a ditch somewhere. ;)
    Great news - James Bond will drive a Bentley in Trigger Mortis:

http://www.thebookbond.com/2015/06/james-bond-will-drive-bentley-in.html

This is fabulous news and hopefully it means there will be a Bentley special edition !
    It will probably be the Mark II Continental, since TM will set between GF and TB.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,328Chief of Staff
    Oh, it's had its day. M's orders.
    There is a very interesting article on the IFP site about 'Goldfinger' urging fans to re-read it in advance of 'Trigger Mortice'.
    Great idea - I think I'll give it a whirl. It's been a while since I read GF and it'll be fun to see how Horowitz handles the continuation aspects.
    Regarding 'Trigger Mortice' itself, I wonder if Sir Stirling will actually appear in the book and if he'll support the launch?
    I'll give GF another read in the Run up to TM as well :)
  • clublosclublos Jacksonville, FLPosts: 193MI6 Agent
    I can't believe someone is paying over $100 for a proof on ebay, that's insane. I guess they want to be the first on their block to read it...
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Proof copies are quite collectible, and if the book is good and successful, a sound investment
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • clublosclublos Jacksonville, FLPosts: 193MI6 Agent
    Here's to a good and successful continuation novel. {[]
    From ACE on CBn Forums (who has read an advance copy):

Trigger Mortis is the best Continuation Bond novel since Colonel Sun.
    It's certainly preferable to the Devil May Care, Carte Blanche and Solo.
    The Fleming fits seemlessly and it is not a cod Film plot.
    Sometimes hope is not in vain.
    {[] great news, after so many disappointments. -{
    Fantastic -{

I wish the Release Date could be sooner.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,420Quartermasters
    The feedback from those who have read advance copies does sound very good, and my excitement is building for Trigger Mortis.
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    That's an awesome review. Colonel Sun is just so far ahead of every other continuation novel that it's almost as if Fleming wrote it himself. I have enjoyed many of the other efforts since then, but if this one really is that good, we're in for quite a treat! If true, I hope Horowitz writes more.