Omega time.

Comments

• Awilliams007Awilliams007 Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    Holden wrote:
    Like Welshie, the SMP was my first 'decent' watch and since then, there's not a lot I haven't had in the £2000 - £18,000 range in terms of sports watches.
    I can't speak for the ceramic diver 300, but I still feel that my version is still one of the most robust feeling watches I've owned, even against bigger dive watches, with higher depth ratings.
    The SMP also has the advantage of still being 'relatively' slim, so can fit under a cuff.

The AT is a dressier sports watch and a beautiful one. In 38.5mm, it wears quite a bit smaller than my SMP, but is thicker, due to the movement. The dial is certainly more visually interesting in the way it changes based on viewing angle. And not that it matters, but the females prefer it in my experience. -{
    In terms of current preferences, I also personally prefer the AT, but then, I have many watches. I don't need one that does everything. If I were to only have one Omega sports watch as a daily wear nowadays, it would probably be the AT, or the original 42mm PO. But then, I wore my SMP for about 8 years as my only watch, before the collecting bug took hold!

I've seen some of your collection and I'm a big fan. See I want to know I'm wearing a watch and I felt as though the AT wouldn't make me feel like that having tried it on, but like I said that's a brief period of time as opposed to living with it. The SMP is the first watch I fell in love but if the AT is going to be the better purchase I can always come back to it. If I could afford both at once I would. The pattern does seem like SMP first then AT. Maybe that's a sign? Like a path I need to follow lol
  • HoldenHolden UKPosts: 664MI6 Agent

Personal preference, is just that. You have to decide which watch 'speaks' to you the most at this point.
    At this point they're both shouting equally as loud.
  • 007JBDCMWR007JBDCMWR Posts: 2,517MI6 Agent
    Skyfall AT first, the dial is unique, then get saving for SMP...

Thats my ten pence worth ;-)
    Skewered, one sympathises...

1. CR. 2. TSWLM. 3. LTK. 4. GF. 5. SF.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    007JBDCMWR wrote:

I would prob agree with this if your going to end up eventually owning both, simply due to:

The Skyfall AT is being phased out for a new model with new movement (though guess will look the same)

The Seamaster is the easiest watch to get - you will be able to pick one up anytime and its cheaper $$ wise.
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • kaddkadd Posts: 917MI6 Agent
    Also if you are open to owning a second hand watch, the SMPs come up pretty often because of their popularity.

This may free up some budget for a new AT
  • InternationalExportsInternationalExports Posts: 269MI6 Agent
    There is just so much choice considering vintage and current models. It's clear from the discussions its a choice of whats practical for you, and your own personal taste. I said before I have the PO, my work colleague has the AT. I often have to take my PO off during a working day because of its size and weight it can get in the way. My colleague with the smaller AT does'nt have that issue hence why I will be purchasing an AT and I will swap amongst them depending on what I have on that day. But then I gave myself the dilema do I sell my PO and get a Rolex Submariner 16610 I doubt my wife will let me have both.
    welshboy78 wrote:
    007JBDCMWR wrote:

I would prob agree with this if your going to end up eventually owning both, simply due to:

The Skyfall AT is being phased out for a new model with new movement (though guess will look the same)

The Seamaster is the easiest watch to get - you will be able to pick one up anytime and its cheaper $$ wise.

It's getting ridiculous now, I make a decision, then I can't decide again.
    edited November 2014
    Awilliams007 do you do a physical job or an office job, do you wear a suit often?. If you do I would go TA. If you dress qually casual jeans etc in your down time go for a PO because with a PO it looks good with a suit or dressed down, the AT is a fancy watch and was definately designed for wearing with a suit or tux. My PO had been amazing as well, my mates TA has been returned twice due to the pin coming out, possibly just a defect but all the same that was my decision for going for PO.
    Awilliams007 do you do a physical job or an office job, do you wear a suit often?. If you do I would go TA. If you dress qually casual jeans etc in your down time go for a PO because with a PO it looks good with a suit or dressed down, the AT is a fancy watch and was definately designed for wearing with a suit or tux. My PO had been amazing as well, my mates TA has been returned twice due to the pin coming out, possibly just a defect but all the same that was my decision for going for PO.

I already have the PO. otherwise that would have been my choice.

I also have a physical job. The SMP I thought would have been the most robust but the general feedback is they're not too different with regards to size, and being robust. One looks more sporty than the other.

I also have a physical job. The SMP I thought would have been the most robust but the general feedback is they're not too different with regards to size, and being robust. One looks more sporty than the other.

Cool, SMP is a nice watch and it has stood the test of time (excuse the pun).
  • PaperbillPaperbill FloridaPosts: 810MI6 Agent
    edited November 2014
    I own the SMP, PO and AT. The SMP is the "least" robust of the group and shows every scratch, etc. The AT is a year old and the larger size since I am bigger than DC. It has been a great watch and I wear it for all occasions, from business to casual.
    photosrr.jpg
    Jaws.jpg
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    Paperbill wrote:
    I own the SMP, PO and AT. The SMP is the "least" robust of the group and shows every scratch, etc. The AT is a year old and the larger size since I am bigger than DC. It has been a great watch and I wear it for al occasions, from business to casual.

Very very true! Like I said in one of my previous post, if you want to baby your watch and keep it scratch free, the SMP is not for you. I wear mine almost daily and the bracelet is pretty banged up.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent

The AT is a casual sports watch, not one designed to wear with a suit, and definitely not a dinner suit. But it's the best for people who insist on being like post-Connery James Bond and want to wear a sports watch with a suit. Given James Bond's lifestyle he has an excuse for wearing a sports watch with his suit. But most of us do not. Omega has the De Ville line for wearing with a suit. This one is particularly nice:

http://www.omegawatches.com/collection/de-ville/tresor/presentation/de-ville-tresor?watchHubRef=43253402102002
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Peppermill wrote:
    Paperbill wrote:
    I own the SMP, PO and AT. The SMP is the "least" robust of the group and shows every scratch, etc. The AT is a year old and the larger size since I am bigger than DC. It has been a great watch and I wear it for al occasions, from business to casual.

Very very true! Like I said in one of my previous post, if you want to baby your watch and keep it scratch free, the SMP is not for you. I wear mine almost daily and the bracelet is pretty banged up.

Based on, looks, weight, thickness and the fact I'm going to be putting it through it's paces the AT is the best way to go then? Any owners of an AT agree?
    Paperbill wrote:
    I own the SMP, PO and AT. The SMP is the "least" robust of the group and shows every scratch, etc. The AT is a year old and the larger size since I am bigger than DC. It has been a great watch and I wear it for all occasions, from business to casual.
    photosrr.jpg
    Jaws.jpg

I do spend a lot of time on a boat. (Not diving) would the salt have less of an impact on the SMP than the AT?
    edited November 2014
    Both watches can handle a lot more than what 99,9% of the people put their watches through. I've heard people saying they take their diver off when it is raining so it doesn't get wet. That really defies the point IMHO. So don't worry about salt water, but the SMP and AT are more than up to the task.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
  • 007JBDCMWR007JBDCMWR Posts: 2,517MI6 Agent
    Peppermill wrote:
    Paperbill wrote:

Based on, looks, weight, thickness and the fact I'm going to be putting it through it's paces the AT is the best way to go then? Any owners of an AT agree?

Go buy that 38.5 AT

Start saving for SMP
    Skewered, one sympathises...

1. CR. 2. TSWLM. 3. LTK. 4. GF. 5. SF.
    Matt S wrote:

The AT is a casual sports watch, not one designed to wear with a suit, and definitely not a dinner suit. But it's the best for people who insist on being like post-Connery James Bond and want to wear a sports watch with a suit. Given James Bond's lifestyle he has an excuse for wearing a sports watch with his suit. But most of us do not. Omega has the De Ville line for wearing with a suit. This one is particularly nice:

http://www.omegawatches.com/collection/de-ville/tresor/presentation/de-ville-tresor?watchHubRef=43253402102002

Hi mate, the AT is actually a divers watch like most Omega's and I don't believe it can be classed as a sportswatch. I get what you mean by the De Ville line however men wearing leather stapped watches is rarer these days and when Omega designed the smaller AT I am sure that they had this in mind, that this would be a bracelt watch for the purposes of wearing with evening wear. As for the Bond's lifestyle as divers watch is for profession rather than lifestyle. Felming had him wear a Rolex Explorer from the start, the watch of a Naval man. Omega was simply a commercial partnership made in 1995 based on the same principal that a naval man would wear a watch designed for it's purpose. The new films reflect MI6 rather than the Naval intelligence past, for the obvious reasons that the films are modernised and MI6 has evolved beyond its original Naval intelligence roots, however the partnership has continued and the style of the watches have evolved to accomodate this.
    007JBDCMWR wrote:
    Peppermill wrote:

Go buy that 38.5 AT

Start saving for SMP

I think that's what I'm going to do.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Felming had him wear a Rolex Explorer from the start, the watch of a Naval man.

There is no proof of this at all. Many Datejusts, Speedkings and the Submariner fit the brief and detail lacking description Fleming wrote in the later books. All we know is that it had an expanding bracelet and luminous markers. Could be anything.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    Matt S wrote:

Hi mate, the AT is actually a divers watch like most Omega's and I don't believe it can be classed as a sportswatch. I get what you mean by the De Ville line however men wearing leather stapped watches is rarer these days and when Omega designed the smaller AT I am sure that they had this in mind, that this would be a bracelt watch for the purposes of wearing with evening wear. As for the Bond's lifestyle as divers watch is for profession rather than lifestyle. Felming had him wear a Rolex Explorer from the start, the watch of a Naval man. Omega was simply a commercial partnership made in 1995 based on the same principal that a naval man would wear a watch designed for it's purpose. The new films reflect MI6 rather than the Naval intelligence past, for the obvious reasons that the films are modernised and MI6 has evolved beyond its original Naval intelligence roots, however the partnership has continued and the style of the watches have evolved to accomodate this.

Diving is indeed a sport, which is why I called it a sports watch. It's a professional sports watch. By the diving watch suiting Bond's lifestyle, I meant that the ruggedness of the watch suits Bond's lifestyle. A dress watch probably wouldn't hold up through the action of Brosnan's and Craig's Bond films. Traditionally, no watch should be worn with evening wear. I would guess that the AT was a sports watch designed for the man who likes to wear his casual sports watches with a suit. I never said that a dress watch needs to have a leather strap. They can have a metal bracelet as well, though those typically aren't as dressy. A leather strap on the AT would not turn it into a dress watch.
  • UNCLE27UNCLE27 EnglandPosts: 1,118MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:

There is no proof of this at all. Many Datejusts, Speedkings and the Submariner fit the brief and detail lacking description Fleming wrote in the later books. All we know is that it had an expanding bracelet and luminous markers. Could be anything.

Very true. It probably stems from Fleming himself wearing an Explorer. (Which matches the description)
    UNCLE27 wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:

Very true. It probably stems from Fleming himself wearing an Explorer. (Which matches the description)

What?! Blasphemy!! Where is Dell Deaton when you need him :))
    edited November 2014
    Matt S wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

Diving is indeed a sport, which is why I called it a sports watch. It's a professional sports watch. By the diving watch suiting Bond's lifestyle, I meant that the ruggedness of the watch suits Bond's lifestyle. A dress watch probably wouldn't hold up through the action of Brosnan's and Craig's Bond films. Traditionally, no watch should be worn with evening wear. I would guess that the AT was a sports watch designed for the man who likes to wear his casual sports watches with a suit. I never said that a dress watch needs to have a leather strap. They can have a metal bracelet as well, though those typically aren't as dressy. A leather strap on the AT would not turn it into a dress watch.

Matt S,
    Omega Seamaster range was created in direct competition with rolex for the market of naval sailors while on duty in submarines, due to the ocean depth the pressure interfered with their time pieces. Why the watches were sought after for the escape valves and reinforced glass , these are not sports watch but watches build for specific purpose. A sports watch is a tag heur or tissot in which they are built for their chronograph function where a million of second is a factor. I also never said that you did say it needs a leather strap only that the De Ville tend to be fitted with leather straps and that I personally wouldnt wear one as I think they look rather outdated now. And my opinion was this is why the AT came in a reduced size because the most common watchs worn by men now are bracelet, all the images posted on the topic watch porn Wednesdays appear to support that. I therefore stand by my opinion that the AT was designed with fashion and smart etire in mind.

Asp9mm,
    chapters fifteen and sixteen of On Her Majesty’s Secret Service Bond’s watch is described as a:
    “Rolex Oyster Perpetual Chronometer on an expanding metal bracelet” I believed the explorer was the only model when Fleming wrote the novel to be a Oyster Perpetual Chronometer and it was a given.
    Matt S wrote:

Matt S,
    Omega Seamaster range was created in direct competition with rolex for the market of naval sailors while on duty in submarines, due to the ocean depth the pressure interfered with their time pieces. Why the watches were sought after for the escape valves and reinforced glass , these are not sports watch but watches build for specific purpose. A sports watch is a tag heur or tissot in which they are built for their chronograph function where a million of second is a factor. I also never said that you did say it needs a leather strap only that the De Ville tend to be fitted with leather straps and that I personally wouldnt wear one as I think they look rather outdated now. And my opinion was this is why the AT came in a reduced size because the most common watchs worn by men now are bracelet, all the images posted on the topic watch porn Wednesdays appear to support that. I therefore stand by my opinion that the AT was designed with fashion and smart etire in mind.

This article I just found is what I've always understood the Seamaster to be: http://www.watch-wiki.net/index.php?title=Omega_Seamaster&phoenixs-db3_session=c93177556c51b775b2ae9f1b7e8665a4

"Their models were designed as rugged sports watches." Perhaps this is wrong.

I don't disagree that the AT was designed with fashion in mind, but it simply isn't a dress watch. It's a dressy sports watch. It's designed for the average man today who considers dark jeans dressed up.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    Yeah its certainly not a proper dress watch.

Its simply one of the more dressy looking out of the Omega sports range

As stated in this thread before though - Connery and co didn't care and neither do I.
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Yeah its certainly not a proper dress watch.

Its simply one of the more dressy looking out of the Omega sports range

As stated in this thread before though - Connery and co didn't care and neither do I.

You are certainly free to wear your watches however you please. But Connery rarely wore his Rolex with his suits. He usually wore a dress watch. The reason why he wears the Rolex with his dinner jacket in Goldfinger is because he was just in the water.
    edited November 2014
    Matt S wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

Matt S,

This article I just found is what I've always understood the Seamaster to be: http://www.watch-wiki.net/index.php?title=Omega_Seamaster&phoenixs-db3_session=c93177556c51b775b2ae9f1b7e8665a4

"Their models were designed as rugged sports watches." Perhaps this is wrong.

I don't disagree that the AT was designed with fashion in mind, but it simply isn't a dress watch. It's a dressy sports watch. It's designed for the average man today who considers dark jeans dressed up.

http://www.omegamuseum.com/seamaster

"The key to these watches was the O-ring gasket. At this time, water-resistant watches generally used lead or shellac gaskets which were susceptible to temperature changes. The Seamaster, however, used a rubber gasket of the type that had proven its abilities in submarines during the Second World War"

"With what can be considered two lines in one, the “Professional” and “Dress” ranges of the Seamaster line have, for over half a century, complemented each other and ensured the Seamaster's place on the wrists of some of the world most famous royalty, divers, treasure hunters and even a spy or two."

Now those are two statement from Omegas own site which really support what I was saying about the Seamasters purpose and the diference in "Professional” and “Dress” ranges of the Seamaster now the planet ocean says professional under seamaster on the watch, the Aqau Terra does not.