(Bond 24) SPECTRE's Opening Credits Theme Song.

Comments

• Virgil37Virgil37 Posts: 1,212MI6 Agent
    I also vote for WOTW being the end credits song, and (dare I say it) having the instrumental OHMSS theme in the main titles.
    I would expect a 20 minuet master piece from say Lennon

Actually Lennon wrote his best songs over a few days. Check out in youtube the videos of him composing "Strawberry Fields Forever". He writes new sections, changes structure, tries out lyrics, changes them... His producers said that he changed words during the recording session. Great songs are not written, but re-written. They are like scripts.

Elton John usually took 30 minutes to write the music of his songs, but he was given the finished lyric by Bernie Taupin, so the process was longer.

Paul McCartney said it took a day to write LALD.

Now that I think about it, no one comes close to the level of "genius" of Sam Smith. He wrote it in 20 minutes. Or maybe all of the above just knew when a song needed more work.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    Virgil37 wrote:
    I also vote for WOTW being the end credits song, and (dare I say it) having the instrumental OHMSS theme in the main titles.

Bond films should look to the past, but not go back to the past. If they went with an instrumental theme, it needs to be something new. However, Thomas Newman is not much of a theme writer.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    edited September 2015
    Has WOTW gotten the all-time worst reception out of all the bond themes?
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    Matt S wrote:
    Virgil37 wrote:

Bond films should look to the past, but not go back to the past. If they went with an instrumental theme, it needs to be something new. However, Thomas Newman is not much of a theme writer.

I would vote for that too. Anything to be able to stick WOTW at the end. In any case, if they use OHMSS theme as the trailer suggests, doesn't mean that Thomas Newman is "not much of a theme writer". John Barry was a great theme writer and he used the James Bond Theme many times (as did everybody else).
    Virgil37 wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    Virgil37 wrote:

I would vote for that too. Anything to be able to stick WOTW at the end. In any case, if they use OHMSS theme as the trailer suggests, doesn't mean that Thomas Newman is "not much of a theme writer". John Barry was a great theme writer and he used the James Bond Theme many times (as did everybody else).

The trailer music has nothing to do with the music in the film since someone else did it. John Barry also wrote his own themes for all the Bond scores. Thomas Newman really didn't have any themes in the Skyfall score. There were a few motifs, but nothing memorable.
  • JimatayJimatay Posts: 126MI6 Agent
    It says something about a song when all the covers on YouTube are getting comments saying theyre better than the original. Before they start on about race and war I mean.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    I bought it today ... Just to keep the collection complete.

I do like the beginning and the lower parts of the song, it's just that wailing I hate 8-)
    Jimatay wrote:
    It says something about a song when all the covers on YouTube are getting comments saying theyre better than the original. Before they start on about race and war I mean.

This is the first one I found, and her voice is perfect for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xbzlttMo0E

But she still can't fix the terrible lyrics.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    -{ Beautiful voice and she has much better diction. :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • ppw3o6rppw3o6r Great BritainPosts: 2,272MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Jimatay wrote:

This is the first one I found, and her voice is perfect for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xbzlttMo0E

Amazing even a talented child? with an amazing voice can't salvage this turd...oh dear :#
    Matt S wrote:
    Jimatay wrote:

I must say the song improves with her singing.
  • Lady IceLady Ice Posts: 279MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:
    Has WOTW gotten the all-time worst reception out of all the bond themes?

Surely that was Another Way To Die? In most cases the issue with WOTW seems to be with the lyrics/vocals and not necessarily the music but AWTD was a misfire on all accounts- wrong music style, 'hip' lyrics, voices clashing.
    Well it's past my test. I've been walking about singing it all day. :D
    It reminds me of something from a big musical.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HoldenHolden UKPosts: 664MI6 Agent
    "I've been here before,
    yawn, yawn, yawn, snore, snore, snore"
    Holden wrote:
    "I've been here before,
    yawn, yawn, yawn, snore, snore, snore"

Heartily well done Holden...you've improved the lyrics! :D
    It took me all of 2 minutes, so 20 minutes to write the whole song is achievable. :D
  • The Debonair BondThe Debonair Bond Posts: 48MI6 Agent
    I honestly don't think that people hate the song universally as some claim-the Internet tends to always jump in and show the absolute worst in people, and the vitriol of negativity is just borderline disgusting in my opinion.

I'm sorry, but going as far as to pretend that because of constant complaining Sam Mendes is somehow going to be forced to hire someone else to do the song is borderline delusional.

I like the song personally, even if it's not my favorite. It's certainly WAY better than the train wreck of Madonna's Die Another Day.
    Holden wrote:
    It took me all of 2 minutes, so 20 minutes to write the whole song is achievable. :D

Again well done {[]

Not that I know the tune or anything but if we assume as reported the song was written as Bond? then that would I guess be Brooke Bond :D

"I like cups of tea, the members on AJB are gonna lynch me, oh crap why should I stay and let historical inaccuracies get in the way? oh **** the producers are gonna be pissed, I never shoot to missss, the girl with the cello youu missed deliberately, the B25 crew are gonna beat the crap out of meee"

Ten seconds that, must go and put it to music. Now where did I leave my spoons? :D
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,343MI6 Agent
    Another Way to Die was irredeemably bad from start to finish so that comes bottom in my opinion, yes - worse than Die Another Day.

The real shame about this is that when I first heard it, it was shaping up to be an all time Bond classic and then the anti-climactic falsetto kicked in at 1.28/9 and completely ruined it! I just don't get how the song got the green light from the producers after they first heard it???

Still, as before let's see what miracle Mr Kleinman can pull out of the bag come 26 October...
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    The more I hear the song, frankly the more I enjoy it - although perhaps not as much as I enjoy the hyperbolically terrible reviews from fandom :v

Anecdotal: I played it for my girlfriend and some other friends this morning, and there were no bad reviews in the group. We were camping, and I had my iTunes Bond Theme playlist loaded...Sheena Easton's FYEO was the clear least favorite among my younger (28 years old) friends. Heard within the canon of all the Bond movie themes, WOTW holds up just fine. In my humble opinion, this song will not be the ruination of SPECTRE :)) Is it in my top 50% of theme songs? Not sure yet. Not a spectacular hit among most fans, as Adele's SF arguably was...but then all movies, actors, theme songs, etc., et al., have their earnest and devoted detractors.

I'm ever reminded of how the world was ending when Craigger was cast {:) Time and distance, as always, will tell the tale...and your mileage may vary. Cheers! -{
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Yes, somebody should start a website, "Writing's on the Wall is not Bond." :o And start a petition to boycott Spectre because that usually works well. :p
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    Gala Brand wrote:
    Yes, somebody should start a website, "Writing's on the Wall is not Bond." :o And start a petition to boycott Spectre because that usually works well. :p

:)) {[]
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    :))
    We like what we like. -{ those who dislike it, are correct. It will not be to
    Everyone's taste, and those who do like it are also correct, it's a good song. ;)
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Maybe we're just hearing he DSOAPP version of the song and Apple starts selling the good one for the premiere? :v
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • JamesBondRadio.comJamesBondRadio.com Posts: 34MI6 Agent
    There's so much hate for Sam being thrown around everywhere :-(

I'll just say this...in a franchise so long running and held dear by so many, ANY deviation from what's expected is going to be met with cries of blasphemy.

What I believe we have here is the first real romantic love song in the series (Louis Armstrong obviously not included). It's different, sure, the voice and melody don't immediately scream Bond...but that doesn't mean it's bad. I truly believe with some time and space the song will grow on people as it becomes more familiar. We're already seeing the first rumblings of that on social media.

Some of my all time favourite music has come from artists I hated on first listen. Then with time they kept growing on me bit by bit and (for me at least) later blossomed into a much deeper connection than some 'instant hit' is ever going to.

I for one think this is a really brave song choice and the fact they're trying something new is a good thing. If Eon weren't open to trying new things we'd never have had Daniel in the role and might very well be looking forward to DAD remake #6 next month.

To summarise, you might hate this song, you might hate Sam's voice and that's fine and perfectly okay...but just take a moment, have a breather and let the thing settle for a while, you might just find it grows on you.
  • bryno92bryno92 Wisconsin, USAPosts: 46MI6 Agent
    I get that it's hard to live up to the expectations after Skyfall, but this one is disastrous! There is no "Hook" in the song that makes it memorable. If you take a look in the past, all the good Bond themes had that key phrase that made it memorable (Live and Let Die, You Know My Name, Goldeneye, Goldfinger, FRWL, Skyfall, etc.) I mean for Christ sake, even Die Another Day had a hook.

Connie Talbot does the song some justice. If a girl sang this song, it would be "acceptable" but Sam just does not sing it well that high. He is no Bee Gees or a-Ha that's for sure. Regardless, I also get that gay vibe feeling when listening to Sam Smith sing it which does not belong in a Bond movie (I have no problem with gay people). Not sure if I'm the only one that feels that way and sorry if I offended anyone.

The opening theme song is so important though! It really sets the tone for the rest of the movie!
    ppw3o6r wrote:
    Holden wrote:

Again well done {[]

Not that I know the tune or anything but if we assume as reported the song was written as Bond? then that would I guess be Brooke Bond :D

"I like cups of tea, the members on AJB are gonna lynch me, oh crap why should I stay and let historical inaccuracies get in the way? oh **** the producers are gonna be pissed, I never shoot to missss, the girl with the cello youu missed deliberately, the B25 crew are gonna beat the crap out of meee"

Ten seconds that, must go and put it to music. Now where did I leave my spoons? :D

{[] Your talents are wasted here! :p
    What I believe we have here is the first real romantic love song in the series (Louis Armstrong obviously not included). It's different, sure, the voice and melody don't immediately scream Bond...but that doesn't mean it's bad.

You may have a point...Were they trying to do what they did with Louis Armstrong in OHMSS? Perhaps. Do we know for sure this is the main credits song or could it be included somewhere in the middle of the film? OHMSS did this, but also FRWL, the song was coming from a radio and then used in the end credits.
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    The man from Wisconsin has hit the nail on the head ,well said ,I listened to Smith again ,just to try and be impartial ,
    and for the sake of the film ,was willing to an apology and admit I was a bit hasty in my condemnation of the song ,but its still kak :# sorry ,and as agent virgil37 said earlier ,the likes of Lennon ,Elton John ,and Paul Macca ,all took at least 2 days to write a song ,and these guys are about as good as your gonna get ,
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?