Remake of OHMSS?

2»

Comments

• Virgil37Virgil37 Posts: 1,212MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Virgil37 wrote:
    Hardyboy wrote:
    I would imagine that in the new era they might again give Bond a wife but not name her Tracy and not involve her in an OHMSS-like plot, but still let her die at the hands of Blofeld.

If she marries Bond and then Blofeld kills her, that's the OHMSS plot. Why give her a new name? Would it be acceptable for non-remakers giving Tracy a new name?

Um, no. The plot of OHMSS is to blackmail western powers by threatening to have girls with viruses release them. Tracy's death is an ELEMENT of the story, and you can put that element into an entirely different plot.

I don't agree. IMO OHMSS is the story of Bond/Tracy and their relationship,and Bond vs Blofeld, and the rest is the McGuffin.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Virgil37 wrote:
    I don't agree. IMO OHMSS is the story of Bond/Tracy and their relationship,and Bond vs Blofeld, and the rest is the McGuffin.

Let's not split hairs, Virg. . .my point is there can be a totally different story with Bond falling in love with a totally different woman and losing her to Blofeld, and that would not in and of itself make it a remake. And I'll let it rest at that.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,807MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy has a point. Tracy and her death is one major element of the plot in OHMSS, the Angels of Death and the bioweapons is another. It's perfectly possible to use the bioweapons story without using the parts of the story involving Tracy.
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Virgil37 wrote:

Let's not split hairs, Virg. . .my point is there can be a totally different story with Bond falling in love with a totally different woman and losing her to Blofeld, and that would not in and of itself make it a remake. And I'll let it rest at that.

Well, yes, of course they can do that, if their goal is not to use OHMSS and use just Blofeld. I bet the writers of SPECTRE had lots of discussions about this.
  • jamesbondagent007jamesbondagent007 Divided States of TrumpPosts: 236MI6 Agent
    I agree with Virgil. If there's one thing I've learned in film school, it's that the story is not the same thing as the plot. In other words, the plot tells the story.

What I meant to say with this thread is that I believe it will be a reimagining of that chapter of the Bond story, which OHMSS currently inhabits. Not a remake of the exact same film, obviously, but a retelling of that story in the character's life.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    stag wrote:
    A PC version? No, no & a thousand times no!

Not sure what you mean by a "PC version". What's that?

As for the question, put me in the "no" camp. I'm not in favor of any remakes, least of all a remake of a classic like OHMSS.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    stag wrote:

It's the opposite of a Mac version, or PS3 :))
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    stag wrote:

As for the question, put me in the "no" camp. I'm not in favor of any remakes, least of all a remake of a classic like OHMSS.

Get with the Times BL :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    stag wrote:

Get with the Times BL :))

:)) :)) :))
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    Haven't the films which were not based on the novels always mined Fleming for material not used in the film versions of the books anyway? Just because there will be snow, mountains, skiing and Blofeld in "SPECTRE" does not mean it's a re-make of OHMSS.

I am not in favour of re-making any of the original films. However as sacriligious as this may be if they were to do a re-make I would want them to do OHMSS. I actually have come to really appreciate OHMSS more and more over the years but I just can't get past what is the film's fatal flaw for me....Lazenby. Lazenby certainly looked like Bond, could fight like Bond, but as soon as he opened his mouth...well an actor he sure wasn't. IMO, OHMSS would have been perfect for Dalton.
    HowardB wrote:
    Haven't the films which were not based on the novels always mined Fleming for material not used in the film versions of the books anyway?
    Good point
    HowardB wrote:
    Just because there will be snow, mountains, skiing and Blofeld in "SPECTRE" does not mean it's a re-make of OHMSS.
    in any case, I don't think it will use the elements in the same way. As TP pointed out, FYEO has all those elements too. The OHMSS movie was an almost verbatim adaptation of the novel. SPECTRE won't be like that.
    HowardB wrote:
    I am not in favour of re-making any of the original films. However as sacriligious as this may be if they were to do a re-make I would want them to do OHMSS.
    How sacrilegious can it get? I mean, the Bible stories have been told dozens of times in movies. Why not telling the Bond stories again to a new generation of moviegoers in a different way?
    HowardB wrote:
    I actually have come to really appreciate OHMSS more and more over the years but I just can't get past what is the film's fatal flaw for me....Lazenby. Lazenby certainly looked like Bond, could fight like Bond, but as soon as he opened his mouth...well an actor he sure wasn't.
    I love the movie, even with Lazenby. He gives a solid performance considering it's his first acting job. However, I agree that the potential was so great that in the hands of an experienced actor it could have been marvellous. Dalton, for instance would have been terrific, as you point out. Ironically, he was actually offered the movie.

I've always felt that EON had two chips on their shoulder. One was not having made CR, the other was OHMSS. We fans love it. For general audiences it's just a trivial pursuit question (who was the actor who played Bond only once?)
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    Im on the other side of the fence.

Ive warmed to Lazenby immensely over the years and wish he had not followed his agents advice!!!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I always thought Lazenby was fine ! {[] I guess I can't pick
    Up on his faults, like others. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    Personally, I don't think this has anything to do with an OHMSS remake. I think people are going off on a tangent because the new film involves Blofeld and winter scenes.

Here are a few points I just want to make.

First, by the time OHMSS was written, SPECTRE was finished. Blofeld had in essence gone into hiding and the whole point of the plot was his mission to get absolved of his crimes and get his title.

Second, since the character Oberhauser from the novel OP is in it, I think they are mining a part of or possibly the entire plot of the story (sans the octopuss).

Third, though the reboot used the first novel, the other films have so far just mined certain scenes and themes from some of the other novels to keep Fleming's character and ideas in the new mix.

Finally, since they already introduced the group QUANTUM and never revealed it's head, I'm suspecting it will either be Blofeld, who will rename it SPECTRE or QUANTUM may be only a section of SPECTRE, or it may be SPECTRE's first appearance in this reboot and QUANTUM is just another player.

I don't think they will ever remake any of the old films at this point in the series. I believe this film will be entirely original (as the last two were) in it's concept, but they are just reintroducing SPECTRE and Blofeld to a new generation and will continue to try incorporate minor plot points or scenes from the novels.
    I don't think they will ever remake any of the old films at this point in the series. I believe this film will be entirely original (as the last two were) in it's concept, but they are just reintroducing SPECTRE and Blofeld to a new generation and will continue to try incorporate minor plot points or scenes from the novels.

That makes a lot of sense to me, and I'm rooting for that to be the case. {[]