Madeleine Swann

The name of the Lea Seydoux character is very revealing. I think it's from Marcel Proust's "In search of lost time". The first part is "Swann's way". In it the madeleine cake episode appears, in which the protagonist is reminded of his past. Madeleine will remind Bond of someone from his past. Just a theory.

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Could be, I'm sure there is a reason for her name.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Very good -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent
    I think Virgil37's theory is sound. Good work!
    I also wonder if Madeline Swann will be British. The name certainly sounds British and this must be the role that was called the British Bond girl. Will Seydoux's need to speak like a Brit, and will she be able to speak without an accent? Wikipedia says during her childhood "For six years, she went to summer camp in America, at the behest of her father, who wanted her to learn to speak English." She still has a French accent, but it's likely she will be trained by top language coaches. I know Eva Green worked closely with one before she the shooting of CR.
  • Virgil37Virgil37 Posts: 1,212MI6 Agent
    Could be just a name inspired by Proust, instead of the Holly Goodheads and Pussy Galores :D But could be a hint too...
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I think Virgil37's theory is sound. Good work!
    I also wonder if Madeline Swann will be British. The name certainly sounds British and this must be the role that was called the British Bond girl. Will Seydoux's need to speak like a Brit, and will she be able to speak without an accent? Wikipedia says during her childhood "For six years, she went to summer camp in America, at the behest of her father, who wanted her to learn to speak English." She still has a French accent, but it's likely she will be trained by top language coaches. I know Eva Green worked closely with one before she the shooting of CR.

I love Eva Grren, but her English accent wobbled from time to time in CR. It's actually much better now in Penny Dreadful.
    Grrren ?

Yes, I do believe you like her :))
    edited December 2014
    She wasn't as good as Dick van Dyke at the
    English accent. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Did Eva Green have a french accent? I didn't notice.
    English isn't my first language, of course. When I heard Eva Green in CR I got the feeling she didn't sound like a native speaker either, but someone who'd had a lot of schooling and training in English. Am I making any sense?
    No more than usual Number24. :)) I get what you mean.
    Although I found nothing wrong with her voice.
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    I believe lea seydoux speaks good English -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Marcel Proust in a Bond film. This might
    Prove to be too intellectual fot me ! :))
    Marcel Proust in a Bond film. This might
    Prove to be too intellectual fot me ! :))

And for me, I just happened to google Madeleine and Swann and the Marcel Proust book appeared, but it somewhat made sense...
    :)) , Don't worry. I'll be mentioning in conversation, people
    Just...... Just might think I'm a bit smarter than I look ! :))
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Grrren ?

Yes, I do believe you like her :))

Let's not go there, shall we?
    And what of Bond’s women? Well as was touted, rising French actress Lea Seydoux (Blue is The Warmest Colour, Grand Central, Midnight In Paris) is to play the Proustian Madeleine Swann. A possible play on words and continuing Skyfall and writer John Logan’s literary cameos, a madeleine cake was famously referenced at the beginning of Proust’s Swann’s Way – when the subject marks how a nostalgia-making madeleine brings back a tumult of hard emotions and childhood remembrances. A possible clue to Seydoux’s role, Swann’s Way was the first chapter of Proust’s In Search of Lost Time (À la Recherché Du Temps Perdu, 1913) which translates as the more familiar Remembrance of Things Past. A possible pointer to Bond’s personal journey in SPECTRE?

From Mark O'Connell
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    She wasn't as good as Dick van Dyke at the
    English accent. ;)

And Dick van Dyke's English accent wasn't as good as mine. And I don't even have an English accent! :))
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Dick van Dyke's English accent wasn't as good as mine. And I don't even have an English accent! :))
    You are American? I speak American. Who is your floor?
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    chrisisall wrote:
    Dick van Dyke's English accent wasn't as good as mine. And I don't even have an English accent! :))

"You killed James Bond!"
    "Is that who that is?!!"
    chrisisall wrote:

+1 that was really funny! :))
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Virgil37 wrote:
    +1 that was really funny! :))
    Oh, an obvious little notion...
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • ChipsticksChipsticks Posts: 20MI6 Agent
    I believe lea seydoux speaks good English -{

pretty good English but the folks still gave her a dialogue coach

Roisin Carty.SPECTRE (dialogue coach: prep - Lea Seydoux) (filming) 2015

9a43d6135c4b5b3b3d7a9dcf91cc151b.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0142224/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr48
  • Agent82Agent82 Posts: 65MI6 Agent
    My speculation:

Madeleine = "en elevated girl"
    Swann = Black Swan = an improbable event
    Madeleine Swann = Contessa Teresa di Vicenzo (I'm predicting it)
    Belluci = Draco, gender inverted (the half-Italian/British bit)
    The bullet hole = in the front glass of an Aston Martin

SPECTRE = a retelling of OHMSS, as others have suspected.
    Agent82 wrote:

Intriguing. But how? Just changing the names to conceal the identities of the chracters? or you suggests the names given are a.k.a.?

Actually, Lea Seydoux is much closer to Tracy in the OHMSS novel than Diana Rigg. It's interesting that the first casting choice for Tracy back in 1968 was Brigitte Bardot.
  • Agent82Agent82 Posts: 65MI6 Agent
    Virgil37 wrote:
    Agent82 wrote:

Intriguing. But how? Just changing the names to conceal the identities of the chracters? or you suggests the names given are a.k.a.?

Actually, Lea Seydoux is much closer to Tracy in the OHMSS novel than Diana Rigg. It's interesting that the first casting choice for Tracy back in 1968 was Brigitte Bardot.

I would not be surprised if they were throwing us off the scent. Aliases are possible too (this is a Bond film, after all).

I would also note Lea and Diana's strikingly similar jaw lines.
    Agent82 wrote:
    My speculation:

No offense, but I hope you're wrong on every count. I don't want to see any remakes, especially of a Bond film that I consider a classic.
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    No remakes, I agree entirely - i'd like to think there is a wealth of original material out there so the films can keep going ad infinitum!
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
    Agent82 wrote:
    My speculation:

No offense, but I hope you're wrong on every count. I don't want to see any remakes, especially of a Bond film that I consider a classic.

Don't worry BL, it'll be painless. You won't even notice you're watching the same story but for a few details. ;)
    Virgil37 wrote:
    Agent82 wrote:
    My speculation:

Don't worry BL, it'll be painless. You won't even notice you're watching the same story but for a few details. ;)

Oh I'll notice alright, there's no doubt about that. But "painless"? Probably, but I would rather it not happen.
    Virgil37 wrote:

Oh I'll notice alright, there's no doubt about that. But "painless"? Probably, but I would rather it not happen.

I think when we see the final product, even if they're telling that story, no one will call it a "remake". It'll be so different and new that it won't be OHMSS.