Pros and Cons: From Russia With Love

Comments

• am747am747 Posts: 720MI6 Agent
    All the 007 films from the 60s are just brilliant (Top 10 material) and have aged well -{
  • Willard WhyteWillard Whyte Posts: 166MI6 Agent
    am747 wrote:
    All the 007 films from the 60s are just brilliant (Top 10 material) and have aged well -{

{[]
    I smell a rat
  • Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent
    am747 wrote:

Well I'm not too crazy about TB, but I can agree on the others having aged well.

Perhaps TB is objectively a great film, but it's easily my least fave of the 60s Bond films.
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later
  • am747am747 Posts: 720MI6 Agent
    TB looks awesome on BR .... including the underwater scenes. The background score is superb as well
  • Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent
    Yeah, can't deny that Barry's score for TB is pretty good.
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later
  • UnderwaterBattle007UnderwaterBattle007 Posts: 284MI6 Agent
    Ok I am currently watching all the Bond films in sequence and trying to pay attention to anything that pops up in them that I've not noticed before, since it's a few years since I've watched them all back to back 2005 in fact.

So this is one of my all time favourite James Bond films. I was lucky enough to see this in the pictures here in the UK in the late 1960s, the year before OHMSS came out I think.

I can still remember it was George Peppards WW1 film The Blue Max that was the support film.

As we know this is another Bond film that follows the novel near enough to the letter, in fact some of the Chapters of the book are incorporated into the script eg Rosa Klebb saying to Tatiana "It's real labour of love".

I really enjoyed watching this film again. An interesting point divulged by Bond is where he says "Whilst in Tokyo with M". I wonder why they went there, and maybe an explanation of that visit could be incorporated in a future film.

There is only one plot element which I couldn't understand. This is were the Russian agent and Karim are found dead in the train carriage. Why didn't Bond just get off the train at the planned stop. The guard had been bribed to stop the train, Karims sons were there waiting. To me yes it's sad that Bonds ally was dead but surely the mission comes first. We had already been told the airfield was only 20 miles away.

The train fight scene is just brutal, and I had to keep telling myself that this was 1963. The movies were completely ahead of their time, and I know why I liked watching them as a boy in the mid 1960's.

A great watch from start to finish. Next up Goldfinger tomorrow afternoon.
    FRWl, CR, OHMSS, TSWLM, SF, GF, TLD, LTK, TND, FYEO, OP,TWINE, GE, LALD, TB, SPECTRE, DN, YOLT, TMWTGG, QOS, MR, DAF, DAD, AVTAK, NTTD.

"Do you expect me to talk? "No Mister Bond I expect you to die"
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    There is only one plot element which I couldn't understand.  This is were the Russian agent and Karim are found dead in the train carriage.  Why didn't Bond just get off the train at the planned stop.  The guard had been bribed to stop the train, Karims sons were there waiting.  To me yes it's sad that Bonds ally was dead but surely the mission comes first.  We had already been told the airfield was only 20 miles away.

I've brought this up a couple times here on AJB and I don't recall ever getting a straight answer. This highlights one of the main flaws of FRWL for me because at this point it should be a tightly wound thriller where the traps is closing in tighter and tighter on Bond…but instead it just turns into confusion and plot holes. It totally falls apart.

It's ironic that the 60's films that follow the novels the closest also tend to have the most plot holes. In FRWL part of the problem was adding the additional layer of Spectre on top of Smersh vs MI6 which causes even more confusion.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:
    There is only one plot element which I couldn't understand.  This is were the Russian agent and Karim are found dead in the train carriage.  Why didn't Bond just get off the train at the planned stop.  The guard had been bribed to stop the train, Karims sons were there waiting.  To me yes it's sad that Bonds ally was dead but surely the mission comes first.  We had already been told the airfield was only 20 miles away.

I've brought this up a couple times here on AJB and I don't recall ever getting a straight answer. This highlights one of the main flaws of FRWL for me because at this point it should be a tightly wound thriller where the traps is closing in tighter and tighter on Bond…but instead it just turns into confusion and plot holes. It totally falls apart.

It's ironic that the 60's films that follow the novels the closest also tend to have the most plot holes. In FRWL part of the problem was adding the additional layer of Spectre on top of Smersh vs MI6 which causes even more confusion.

Can you both please clarify what you mean about the plot holes in FRWL? The train didn't stop where Kerim's sons were waiting, so how could Bond have gotten off?
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Bond only gets off the train to tell kerims son about his death and then asks kerims son to send a message to m as he will need help to cross the border at trieste. the next time the train stops bond meets up with "Nash" who is meant to have orders from m and aid him across the border. Maybe me but where's the plot hole?
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    Matt S wrote:
    Firemass wrote:

Can you both please clarify what you mean about the plot holes in FRWL? The train didn't stop where Kerim's sons were waiting, so how could Bond have gotten off?

But thats the point everything was in place for the train to stop, but it didn't. Why didn't it stop at that point?
    FRWl, CR, OHMSS, TSWLM, SF, GF, TLD, LTK, TND, FYEO, OP,TWINE, GE, LALD, TB, SPECTRE, DN, YOLT, TMWTGG, QOS, MR, DAF, DAD, AVTAK, NTTD.

Matt S wrote:
    Firemass wrote:

But thats the point everything was in place for the train to stop, but it didn't. Why didn't it stop at that point?

Probably because of something Red Grant did.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Can't think of a con,it's pretty much perfect IMO
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Can't think of a con,it's pretty much perfect IMO

Totally agree pretty much perfect.

• heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    It is pretty much perfect and I've enjoyed it more and more as I've matured :) my only issue is some dodgy green-screening at the end and verges on languid at times.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • MooresflaresMooresflares Posts: 30MI6 Agent
    Pros : pretty much everything, I love the friendship between bond and
    Kerim

Cons: finding it hard to think of anything there
  • RemingtonRemington CAPosts: 239MI6 Agent
    edited December 2020
    1. Connery 2. Moore 3. Dalton 4. Brosnan 5. Craig 6. Lazenby
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Remington wrote:
    .The best Blofeld. Along with Savalas.

This seems to be quite a popular opinion around AJB, one I can't identify with. Personally, I think that Pleasence is the best one due to his introduction and acting by Pleasence. He is the iconic image of Blofeld but the FRWL-TB Blofeld is menacing in the fact that you can't see his face while Pleasence IS menacing.
    a reasonable rate of return
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,785MI6 Agent
    Remington wrote:
    The second Bond film i ever saw.

Pros:
    .Gunbarrel music.
    .Love the PTS.
    .Amazing score.
    .The entire cast is brilliant. Especially Amendariz and Shaw.
    .Istanbul. Puts SF to shame. The other locales are great too.
    .Great cinematography.
    .The best Blofeld. Along with Savalas.
    .Tanya is beautiful.
    .Klebb is flat out scary.
    .Faithful to Fleming.
    .The relationship between Bond and Kerim.
    .Reminds me of Hitchcock. But better.
    .The gypsy fight.
    .The train fight and the scene before it.
    .Terrence Young is the master.

Cons:
    .The boat chase isn't that special.
    .The back projection at the end.

10/10 -{ . Even if you dont like this film, you have got to respect it.

Agreed :007)
  • WadsyWadsy Auckland, New ZealandPosts: 410MI6 Agent
    edited May 2017
    Oh my god. Looking at this film's positive and negative traits, well come to think of it they're all practically positive.

I have always loved From Russia With Love and regard it as the greatest Bond film to star Sean Connery, an opinion also held by Connery himself. This movie just has so many things going for it! It is hard to fault anything at all with it, and Terrance Young clearly learned from any mistakes he made with the previous film and perfected it.

Pro's:

- Excellent all around cold war spy thriller, the first of many and still up there
    - John Barry's much improved score
    - All acting and supporting cast
    - Locations (mainly Istanbul with some extras near the end with the action stunts)
    - Bond girl - Romanava
    - Kronstein, Rosa Klebb and Blofeld (first time on screen, although not seen)
    - The ever amazing Kerim Bey (greatest ally Bond has ever and will ever have)
    - The gypsy scenes, the train sequences - particularly the fight and suspense between Bond and Grant)
    - The helicopter and boat chase
    - Connery's performance

Con's:

Well, while it is hard to think of any to name I do have one or two nitpicks

- The Bond theme is played far too frequently
    - Back screen projection in certain scenes

That's really it. This film just has so many things going for it and it is a true classic.
    I know I have mentioned this but I'll say it again,

The train fight between Bond and Grant, the helicopter chase and boat chases and the alliance between Bond and Kerim are the elements that I would put above all the rest.

Rating: 9/10
    1. FYEO 2. OHMSS 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. TLD 6. TSWLM 7. GF 8. AVTAK 9. MR 10. DN 11. SF 12. LALD 13. TB 14. OP 15. CR 16. GE 17. YOLT 18. TMWTGG 19. SP 20. TND 21. TWINE 22. QOS 23. NTTD 24. DAF 25. DAD 26. NSNA 27. CR '67

1. Dalton 2. Moore 3. Connery 4. Craig 5. Lazenby 6. Brosnan
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,275Chief of Staff
    Wadsy wrote:

The Bond theme is played far too frequently

aa_old_man_9.jpg
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    I was going to say something like that, while I agree with wadsy on many of his points, I like how the JB theme was used in the earlier films.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Me too {[]
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    When the Bond theme is part of the score (like 'James Bond with Bongos') I love it. When it's the Dr. No recording in the hotel room, I hate it. It doesn't fit at all there. Barry could have arranged the Bond theme for that scene if they asked him to, though he probably ran out of time when working on that film considering the Dr. No music chosen for the post-train sequences.
    Matt S wrote:
    When the Bond theme is part of the score (like 'James Bond with Bongos') I love it. When it's the Dr. No recording in the hotel room, I hate it. It doesn't fit at all there. Barry could have arranged the Bond theme for that scene if they asked him to, though he probably ran out of time when working on that film considering the Dr. No music chosen for the post-train sequences.
    {[] . James Bond with Bongos has some kind of smoothness, that fits perfectly with Connery's performance in the film. The bombastic ( and sometimes even annoying) Dr No theme has no place in this film and Barry should've written a third alternative for the Bond theme. Or he could go with dropping some cues from Bond Back In Action from Goldfinger when he is distracting the guard, for when Bond checks the hotel for bugs.
    It was all due to time (or the lack of it), DP, as Matt S alludes to above. Barry was on a tight schedule, writing the FRWL music by day and going out on tour with the John Barry Seven at night. Since FRWL overran, he had to move onto his next project (Zulu, IIRC) and Peter Hunt then used either the Theme or segments of the DN score to cover the gaps.

(Happy to go into more detail if required.)
    Barbel wrote:
    (Happy to go into more detail if required.)
    No, I think that just about covers it. MWtGG was a similar situation, if I remember correctly. I get that the hotel sequence would look a bit empty but using the Dr No Bond theme doesn't work.
  • WadsyWadsy Auckland, New ZealandPosts: 410MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Wadsy wrote:

aa_old_man_9.jpg

I was referring to the same theme played in the hotel room.
    1. FYEO 2. OHMSS 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. TLD 6. TSWLM 7. GF 8. AVTAK 9. MR 10. DN 11. SF 12. LALD 13. TB 14. OP 15. CR 16. GE 17. YOLT 18. TMWTGG 19. SP 20. TND 21. TWINE 22. QOS 23. NTTD 24. DAF 25. DAD 26. NSNA 27. CR '67

1. Dalton 2. Moore 3. Connery 4. Craig 5. Lazenby 6. Brosnan
    I agree it might have been preferable to use (say) part of "Zagreb Express" or another variation of the title theme at that point rather than the Bond Theme but Hunt probably chose it for convenience. Barry would undoubtedly have come up with something better had he been available, and Hunt wasn't a very musical man. For proof of that, listen to his terrible edit of the Theme used during the YOLT helicopter fight.
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,294MI6 Agent
    I'm sure audience loved the boat chase back then , I think it's cool :007)
  • DEFIANT 74205DEFIANT 74205 Perth, AustraliaPosts: 1,881MI6 Agent
    Wadsy wrote:
    I have always loved From Russia With Love and regard it as the greatest Bond film to star Sean Connery, an opinion also held by Connery himself.

I'd go further and say that it is the greatest Bond film ever, and quite possibly one of the greatest films of any era, any genre.
    Wadsy wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    Wadsy wrote:

aa_old_man_9.jpg

I was referring to the same theme played in the hotel room.

At the time, he was searching for bugs in the room. I thought it was appropriate, and certainly better than complete silence when Bond was searching for bugs and planting traps in his hotel room in Dr No.
    "Watch the birdie, you bastard!"