You Only Live Twice vs. Octopussy

Comments

• AirJordanFan93AirJordanFan93 Posts: 92MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    YOLT. Despite how bored Connery is and how haggard he looks
    Excuse me, I've kind of lost patience with people repeating these ridiculous tropes whilst not having recently viewed the actual film... 8-)
    I watched a week and a half ago
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    I watched a week and a half ago
    Since it's fresh in your mind, can you please tell us what scenes he looked 'haggard' in? ?:)
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    He looked exactly the same as he did in the first four Films, so you cant really say that he looked 'Bored' -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Maybe he was also bored in the first four but hid it better ? :p :))
    To me as far as acting goes, Connery had nothing to do in
    YOLT, it was all gals,guns and gadgets ! :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    Excuse me, I've kind of lost patience with people repeating these ridiculous tropes whilst not having recently viewed the actual film... 8-)

Said the man who constantly slags Moonraker despite not having actually watched it since 1979…
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
    YOLT vs OP is a very good matchup indeed.

Bond: Both films are the penultimate film for Rog and Sean and as expected both are a bit past their prime. Sean looks better, but Rog delivers a more spirited performance. (I don't suppose you would care for a nightcap?)

Fleming: YOLT was the first film to veer away from the novel, while OP did an admirable job of incorporating a couple short stories and other unused bits.

Action: OP is a fun, action-packed thrill ride but sags in the middle with a problematic jungle chase. YOLT is also big-budget, big spectacle, but loses momentum with turning Bond japanese, killing Aki, and the wedding sequence. Bond also gets completely lost in the finale battle amidst hundreds of ninjas.

Anyway, I could go back and forth all day, but in the end I would basically call it a draw. Maybe I would give the edge to OP simply because I enjoy the PTS so much.
    My current 10 favorite:

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    As much as I usually defend Moore and his movies, I prefer YOLT for the beautiful locations, sets and aerial shots.

When Bond enters the train the movie gets a bit long, cheap and boring imo.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Ken Adams Volcano Set trumps everything in OP -{ As much as I hold OP in high Regard, the Japanese Setting of YOLT just seems much more exotic in my Opinion.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    I think India looks pretty exotic ;)
    I love the opening shot of the helicopter passing the Taj Mahal, with the
    Fantastic John Barry music !
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    :))

But in YOLT, we have the bright Neon of Tokyo and the Fishing Villages of the Island.
    As far as Visuals go YOLT is stunning -{ " A feast for my eyes" :D
    I hope Bond returns to Japan at some Point, it's changed a lot since 1967 -{
    Yes, It looked fantastic,in the last Wolverine film. At times very
    Modern ( very Blade Runner) then beautiful countryside. -{
    Hopefully the Japanese won't be as awkward over filming a
    Car chase. :))
    Or Craig/Future Bond Actor makes a controversial Remark about Japanese Women :))
    :)) Yes, You'd think Connery would know to say something nice.
    If going to Canada, say how you've always found Canadian women
    very beautiful, or France, China, India, Africa etc. :D
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    edited January 2015
    chrisisall wrote:

I feel your pain, my friend. Please allow me to weigh in with a couple of observations from Mark O'Connell's delightful book "Catching Bullets - Memoirs of a Bond Fan". First it should be noted that O'Connell is an unabashed Roger Moore fan. Moore is his favorite Bond and A View To A Kill is his favorite Bond film. Here's his take on Connery and the other Bond actors: "Brosnan and Moore are movie stars. Daniel Craig and Timothy Dalton are actors. Sean Connery was both." And about Sir Sean's perfomance in YOLT he has this to say: ".....You Only Live Twice features Connery's best performance as Bond. The naysayers suggest he looks bored. Perhaps severing himself from the part enabled Connery a closing florish - a final frolic in the Eon sandpit before the home-time bell blasts out. ..........in the possible framework of having nothing left to give and nothing left to prove, Connery looks completely at ease in the role. His perfomance is neither tired nor bored. Freddie Young's inclusive 70mm lens would have betrayed that a mile off."

I definitely think O'Connell is onto something here, and while I wouldn't go so far as to say that YOLT features Connery's best performance as Bond, it is certainly a fine turn and not at all the tired old phoned-in performance that is frequently alluded to.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    I agree -{
  • King KamalKing Kamal Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    YOLT, OP is a quality film as well but YOLT comes across as something fresh and unique (even to this day) OP does seem a bit formulaic in comparison at times.
    I feel your pain, my friend.
    Thanks, that a fascinating bit you shared! -{
    Blackleiter,

I'm glad to see that you are enjoying Mark's highly entertaining book. (Even though you don't share his affection for AVTAK)
    His chapter on YOLT was particularly good. -{
    My current 10 favorite:

Firemass wrote:
    Blackleiter,

I'm glad to see that you are enjoying Mark's highly entertaining book. (Even though you don't share his affection for AVTAK)
    His chapter on YOLT was particularly good. -{

Thanks, Firemass. The book is very funny, entertaining and full of insight. Sounds like you enjoyed it quite a bit too. -{
  • 002002 New ZealandPosts: 558MI6 Agent
    You Only Live Twice has Blofeld (the exceptional villain-actor, Donald Pleasance), a hollowed-out volcano base, ninjas, space hijacks AND henchperson-eating piranha.

How can ANYTHING compete with *that*?
    002 wrote:
    You Only Live Twice has Blofeld (the exceptional villain-actor, Donald Pleasance), a hollowed-out volcano base, ninjas, space hijacks AND henchperson-eating piranha.

How can ANYTHING compete with *that*?

I don't like Pleasance as Blofeld (Telly Savalas is much better), but other than that we're on the same page. {[]
    Yes -{
    I don't like Pleasance as Blofeld
    Two small things would have made Pleasance perfect.
    1) Camera tricks & soap boxes to make Pleasance seem slightly bigger than Connery.
    2) An exchange like this:
    Bond- (indicating Blofeld's scar) Bathtub accident?
    Blofeld- I'm in the process of redecorating.

:007)
    002 wrote:
    You Only Live Twice has Blofeld , a hollowed-out volcano base, ninjas, space hijacks AND henchperson-eating piranha.

Of course, if YOLT was a Roger Moore film those would all be perceived as negatives. 8-)
    My current 10 favorite:

Firemass wrote:
    002 wrote:
    You Only Live Twice has Blofeld , a hollowed-out volcano base, ninjas, space hijacks AND henchperson-eating piranha.

Of course, if YOLT was a Roger Moore film those would all be perceived as negatives. 8-)

If YOLT was a Roger Moore Bond film, Roger Moore would be the biggest negative! :D
    If YOLT was a Roger Moore Bond film, Roger Moore would be the biggest negative! :D
    Meanie. :D
    chrisisall wrote:

Hey, he started it! :))
    chrisisall wrote:

On the other hand, I believe Roger Moore would have pulled of DAF perfectly. Perhaps even better than Connery! -{