Why is TMWTGG just a......eh film?

13»

Comments

• Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent
    That scene of Bond grabbing Andrea's arm is really brutal stuff.
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later
  • am747am747 Posts: 720MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    am747 wrote:
    As for the negatives - well, I don't look for logic in 007 films but the concept of 3 nipples was too much to digest.

Why is that hard to digest? It's not an odd concept at all. Third nipples are actually fairly common. According to Wikipedia, they are present on 1 in 18 males.

Could be but if we were to do a poll on this forum on number of nipples one has, I don't think the ratio would be 1 in 18 :p
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    am747 wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    am747 wrote:
    As for the negatives - well, I don't look for logic in 007 films but the concept of 3 nipples was too much to digest.

Why is that hard to digest? It's not an odd concept at all. Third nipples are actually fairly common. According to Wikipedia, they are present on 1 in 18 males.

Could be but if we were to do a poll on this forum on number of nipples one has, I don't think the ratio would be 1 in 18 :p

Maybe this article, which says they exist on 1 in every 500 people, is more believable: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1117825-overview

I had a roommate 10 years ago with a third nipple, so I've even seen one. Usually they're more subtle and look like a mole. I'm sure third nipples like Scaramanga's exist too.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Mr SnowMr Snow Station "J" JamaicaPosts: 1,736MI6 Agent
    Let's face it, TMWTGG is rarely number 1 on anyone's list. But it's often in the middle.

It's not bad, it's not great. It's not very memorable, and most non bond fans probably know it as the one with the bridge jump. But why???

What is it that stops people from putting it near the top and the bottom of their favourites list?

I actually don't remember the bridge jump, not sure if that makes me a Bond fan or not. As soon as someone mentions TMWTGG to me, I think of Bond chasing Nick Nack around a cabin and locking him in a suitcase. And if that's what stood out for me then I obviously didn't think much of the film.

I just found the film didn't resonate with Bond in both film and literature. Roger Moore I never found convincing as Bond (in any of his films) and the dialogue was one of the worst of all the Bond films.

Maybe having seen this film on DVD after having watched too many episodes of Fantasy Island didn't help 8-)
    "Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974; It's a scientific fact". - Homer J Simpson
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    The only thing that bugs me about TMWTGG is the smashing of the bottles at the end, they've got no liquid in them.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • Robbo88Robbo88 Newcastle, England.Posts: 253MI6 Agent
    Flying car....... :))
    "Sic Parvis Magna"
    "Greatness From Small Beginnings."
  • DiabolikDiabolik TexasPosts: 117MI6 Agent
    TheQBranch wrote:
    The final confrontation between Bond and Scaramanga is awesome and one of my favourite moments in the franchise.
    I think it's the most disappointing climax in the series. Too similar to the opening and even less tense than that was. Oh, and Bond beats the world's greatest assassin... by posing as a mannequin. I feel gypped every time I see it.

I wonder if Scaramanga suffers from myopia, and the golden gun is simply made of magic and never misses. I guess that might explain it, and it would continue the supernatural theme from LALD.
    1.TSWLM 2.LTK 3.YOLT 4.OHMSS 5.TWINE 6.LALD 7.MR 8.GE 9.DN 10.FRWL
    Bond: Pierce Brosnan Villain: Hugo Drax Girl: Pam Bouvier
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Diabolik wrote:
    TheQBranch wrote:
    The final confrontation between Bond and Scaramanga is awesome and one of my favourite moments in the franchise.
    I think it's the most disappointing climax in the series. Too similar to the opening and even less tense than that was. Oh, and Bond beats the world's greatest assassin... by posing as a mannequin. I feel gypped every time I see it.

I think it's brilliant how the finale repeats the opening sequence. I found the final confrontation very tense the first time I watched it.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • DiabolikDiabolik TexasPosts: 117MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    I think it's brilliant how the finale repeats the opening sequence. I found the final confrontation very tense the first time I watched it.
    The first time I saw it I remember really enjoying the opening. But when the finale mirrors it, I was thinking "OK, so Bond is his prey now, but obviously it won't end the same." So of course what matters is not if Bond will beat him, because surely he will, but how he'll do it. And then, well... you know the rest.
    1.TSWLM 2.LTK 3.YOLT 4.OHMSS 5.TWINE 6.LALD 7.MR 8.GE 9.DN 10.FRWL
    Bond: Pierce Brosnan Villain: Hugo Drax Girl: Pam Bouvier
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,690MI6 Agent
    Diabolik wrote:
    TheQBranch wrote:

I wonder if Scaramanga suffers from myopia, and the golden gun is simply made of magic and never misses. I guess that might explain it, and it would continue the supernatural theme from LALD.

I think the DAF oil rig finale is much worse actually and very anti-climactic in nature. We don't even know if Blofeld is killed or not!

The tagged-on Wint and Kidd ending is just the ticket however.

I also find the end of TMWTGG in the fun palace to be quite tense but I agree it could have been much better executed, especially if they'd kept the extended scene shown in one of the trailers for the film to be found on the UE DVD with the Molotov Cocktail lobbed by Bond and Scaramanga's extra bullet hidden in his belt buckle. -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • DutchJamesBondFanDutchJamesBondFan the NetherlandsPosts: 414MI6 Agent
    I rank the film quite high, it has a great stunt, a beautiful girl, a cool villain with a awesome weapon. Also Nick Nack is a nice, little henchman and the fight in the room were Bond swallows 009s bullet is very well done (especially the camera crew in the mirror ;) ) I don't get why many people don't love the movie like I do. Oh, and I prefer this boat chase to the LALD one!
    Don't confuse me with the other DutchBondFan, but be sure to follow his YouTube account. You can read my articles on James Bond Nederland: www.jamesbond.nl/author/gosse/
  • bainesy1usbainesy1us Posts: 42MI6 Agent
    I must admit it is one of my fav Bonds. I just love the 1 on 1 conflict between Bond and Scaramanga. Its one of the only times ive felt Bond has really met his match