Your favorite war movies/ books/ shows

13»

Comments

• Ens007Ens007 EnglandPosts: 863MI6 Agent
    stag wrote:
    i've found this trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jxi96lXdGU

The film is far better than that though. It is loosely based on a true story about the German attempt to remove works of art from Paris as the allies advance & the French resistance efforts to stop them. A great film well worth a watch.

Funnily enough, someone gave me a DVD of this movie on Sunday to watch, so I've got it lined up for next weekend when I get some spare time.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    stag wrote:
    Other good war movies:

The Train starring Burt Lancaster.

The Bridge At Remagen

Dunkirk

Force Ten From Navarone (corny but watchable)

Carve Her Name With Pride

The Colditz Story

Sink The Bismark.

Regarding Dunkirk , are you referring to the John Mills film or the 2004 TV one that was narrated by Timothy Dalton ??
  • VesperMelogranoVesperMelograno The SouthPosts: 901MI6 Agent
    I went and saw "American Sniper" yesterday. It was much better than I expected. The combat was extremely gruesome. The end was a bit weird. It just abruptly ended and then the credits rolled. No music- the story was just over.
    I've always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    I went and saw "American Sniper" yesterday. It was much better than I expected. The combat was extremely gruesome. The end was a bit weird. It just abruptly ended and then the credits rolled. No music- the story was just over.

It's had some pretty mixed reviews.Not sure I want to see this. The last couple of Clint Eastwood efforts I haven't enjoyed.

As for the 2004 'Dunkirk' that was a drama/ documentary thing. I only saw it by accident and only paid attention when I realised Tim Dalton was narrating. Can't remember much about it so don't know if it's any good or not ... But I did just have a look on IMBD and it has a little unknown in it calle Benedict Cumberbatch!
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    Battle of Britain was the film which got me interested in WWII when I was a six year old. The dramatic scenes are a bit shonky, but the flying scenes have never been matched in my opinion.

The Great Escape definitely deserves a mention. One of the greatest WWII stories in my opinion, and the film is fantastic despite embellishing the story a bit, with the motorcycle chase etc.
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 1,024MI6 Agent
    stag wrote:

Has anyone mentioned The Great Escape?

Oh man! How could I forget!! :o And then there is also the venerable All is Quiet on the Western Front.
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Well as my learned colleague Minigeff has mentioned DOWNFALL , I will too, I have seen that film about 6 times,
    the portrayal of Hitler by Bruno Ganz is probably the best ever piece of cinematography ever (not that I knew Hitler :)) )
    I didn't bring it up originally as not to cause offence (hes a touchy subject) :D The deaths of the Goebbels , children by the hands of their parents is a testimonial to the NAZI madness.
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    One of my favourite's (which I have not seen mentioned) is Murphy's War. Sole surviving Irish seaman Murphy declares a one man war on a German U-boat after it has sank his ship and killed the rest of the crew. Wonderful performance from Peter O'Toole as his character becomes consumed by his obsession for revenge. Wonderful sequence when he attempts to fly the rickety old sea plane for the first time. If you have not seen Murphy's War then I highly recommend it.
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
    Moore Than wrote:
    One of my favourite's (which I have not seen mentioned) is Murphy's War. Sole surviving Irish seaman Murphy declares a one man war on a German U-boat after it has sank his ship and killed the rest of the crew. Wonderful performance from Peter O'Toole as his character becomes consumed by his obsession for revenge. Wonderful sequence when he attempts to fly the rickety old sea plane for the first time. If you have not seen Murphy's War then I highly recommend it.

Yes a good film ,especially the bit at the end (I wont spoil it ) totally unpredictable
    Ive got "THE HILL" yes a great ww2 movie, the treatment of the black soldier Jacko , (Ossie Davis),is truly gobsmacking ,
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    I agree about Downfall -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    I've had the DVD of Downfall sitting on my shelf for ages now and I still haven't watched it. I need to make a plan!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    A master plan ? ;) :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    For One Million Dollars?

d7df48023cb667bb2d9485995fa2efd7526243011.jpg
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,134MI6 Agent
    stag wrote:
    Someone mentioned Eye Of The Needle already but for those of you who aren't familiar with it it is a WW2 spy drama. A very good film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-sA3Xs232U

Great film! {[]
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
    I forgot ,I also have a copy of DAS BOOT, this is a flies and all story of the life on board a German U-Boat (submarine ) its all in German ,with English sub-titles .Now even with out the STs , you can really understand ,what these guys went through. The pain ,the anguish, the fear,that these men lived with , is nothing more than super human. Now im not sticking up for these guys,as they sent many a brave allied sailor to a watery grave, and im sure that all countries that operated subs in WW2 ,had the same conditions , but this a raw nerve jangling film of life on a U-Boat . a great piece of cinematography.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,692MI6 Agent
    Golrush007 wrote:
    I've had the DVD of Downfall sitting on my shelf for ages now and I still haven't watched it. I need to make a plan!

Me too, actually! :)
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    I forgot ,I also have a copy of DAS BOOT, this is a flies and all story of the life on board a German U-Boat (submarine ) its all in German ,with English sub-titles .Now even with out the STs , you can really understand ,what these guys went through. The pain ,the anguish, the fear,that these men lived with , is nothing more than super human. Now im not sticking up for these guys,as they sent many a brave allied sailor to a watery grave, and im sure that all countries that operated subs in WW2 ,had the same conditions , but this a raw nerve jangling film of life on a U-Boat . a great piece of cinematography.

I watched it for the first time this week - finished it last night (well it's a long film - four hours). I thought it was superb and hardly dated, considering it was made more than 30 years ago. It really did show how awful it must have been aboard a cramped U-Boat. -{
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    The Bedford Incident -{
    The Bedford Incident -{

fire "who said fire" great acting by Mr Poitier