BARBOUR SKYFALL Jacket in real life

2»

Comments

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    edited February 2015
    No. I have loads of waxed Barbour jackets and only the Sylkoil branded ones have it. I had one of the very early Tokihito jackets well before the Skyfall connection and it didn't have the lining. The wax wicked through but dried out over the years. I sent it away not long back for repair and re-wax and Barbour added the lining, informing me exactly why they did. My later Tokihito had the lining as standard and only the very early first batches had no lining. It's essential if you don't want your clothes ruined and the lining flooded with sticky wax.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • tardis1711tardis1711 Posts: 208MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    No. I have loads of waxed Barbour jackets and only the Sylkoil branded ones have it. I had one of the very early Tokihito jackets well before the Skyfall connection and it didn't have the lining. The wax wicked through but dried out over the years. I sent it away not long back for repair and re-wax and Barbour added the lining, informing me exactly why they did. My later Tokihito had the lining as standard and only the very early first batches had no lining. It's essential if you don't want your clothes ruined and the lining flooded with sticky wax.

I will leave my lining well alone then. The sweating is a small price to pay. Thanks Asp9mm
  • sl007hasl007ha Posts: 25MI6 Agent
    The problem is not the lining alone. it's the tight fit plus the non-breathable lining. IMO if one can tailor their jacket to let out the arm hole and the back, the sweating should be less visible.
  • The_CommanderThe_Commander EnglandPosts: 245MI6 Agent
    Interesting info Asp9mm - I too have had several Barbours over the years and none have had this interlining.

I wonder if the sylkoil fabric is just lighter weight or a more open weave than 'normal' Barbour material? It's a shame that this method of solving the bleed through issue has been used, rather than finding another way. As the original Tokihito and the Commander jackets are both marketed on their heritage attributes, I rather doubt that they have anything in common with the jackets of yesteryear, as plastic lining wasn't available then!

Mind you, perhaps rough & tough sea-faring types weren't bothered about a bit of wax on their shirts or vests? People were a lot harder in those days, not to mention less likely to bring a law suit against a manufacturer for ruining their best shirt!
    1:Sf, 2:NTTD, 3:TSWLM, 4:CR, 5:OHMSS
  • spartanrkspartanrk Las VegasPosts: 88MI6 Agent
    sorry for reviving an old thread... but with the colder months coming has anyone made the modification to their jacket? I love wearing the barbour but dread the sweating
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    I have to turn my commander inside out ,to dry out when I take it off ,but then I suppose the jacket was designed to be worn in bad weather in the middle of no where ,and not poncing around in it in Berkeley square, :D
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • James BrosnanJames Brosnan Posts: 865MI6 Agent
    I just recently bought the Commander B jacket, so I haven't gotten to wear it yet, but I can't wait to get some use out of it. However, after reading this thread and others, I'm afraid I won't be able to get much wear out of this jacket. Never heard about the sweating issue until now. I've also heard of that the wax gets on everything and makes the jacket unwearable in the car because it stains the car seats. Has anyone had an issue with this? Weird that the jacket makes people sweat because isn't it made for active activities like hunting and hiking? I'm just wondering what environments are making you guys sweat in the jacket and if wearing less layers underneath helps at all. I grabbed it on sale for 400$ USD, so im ok with only getting a few decent uses out of it each year., but I would love an idea as to what environments I can get the most out of the jacket in. I imagine wearing the jacket on rainy, cold days, either with the Npeal or with a lighter, cotton shirt of similar color to get a screen accurate appearance; getting the SA vibe was one of the big reasons I bought the jacket. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    "Whoever she was, I must have scared the living daylights out of her." & "Tell mother I died game."
    CR/QoS, TLD, DN, GE, TSWLM, LTK, TND, TWiNE, TMWTGG, TB
    http://www.iconicalternatives.com/author/james-brosnan/
    https://www.instagram.com/shawn.michael.bongiorno/
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    You need to wear a mid layer of wool to stop the condensation build up. That and cold weather. The wax stops being tacky and coming off after a few days of wearing it.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • martinimartini Posts: 289MI6 Agent
    edited October 2015
    timiblade wrote:
    We have big problems in France these days and I found a picture of a french guy during a protest. Look at what he's wearing.

I know, Barbour and jeans is criminal.
    Stirling wrote:
    Also appears to be worn by the chap in an up coming romcom series on Channel 4 1421250936-8cede2b7c4a3ff493b85a09f53f83dfe-600x403.jpg

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/catastrophe/videos/all/trailer?cntsrc=4od_shared_on_twitter

He makes it look really... bad.
    I just recently bought the Commander B jacket, so I haven't gotten to wear it yet, but I can't wait to get some use out of it. However, after reading this thread and others, I'm afraid I won't be able to get much wear out of this jacket. Never heard about the sweating issue until now. I've also heard of that the wax gets on everything and makes the jacket unwearable in the car because it stains the car seats. Has anyone had an issue with this? Weird that the jacket makes people sweat because isn't it made for active activities like hunting and hiking?

I sweated in mine on the Tokyo subway, but here in the UK I never sweat it in. A jacket made for shooting, or hunting, assumes the hunter has a gun and will have to sit motionless for a long time in bad weather. It's not designed to chase after deer and bears yourself, remember :)
    "It is better to be as well dressed as possible to stave off, at least for a very little bit, the total collapse of civilization"
  • genericguygenericguy Posts: 94MI6 Agent
    martini wrote:
    I sweated in mine on the Tokyo subway, but here in the UK I never sweat it in. A jacket made for shooting, or hunting, assumes the hunter has a gun and will have to sit motionless for a long time in bad weather. It's not designed to chase after deer and bears yourself, remember :)

It's just Barbour cheaping out unfortunately.
    You might expect a non-breathable lining on a £50 jacket but on a £400 one it is ridiculous that Barbour didn't use a modern fabric.
    Toying with the idea of buying a damaged Goretex jacket frm eBay and seeing if a tailor can replace the lining.
  • CRBCRB Posts: 483MI6 Agent
    Not hunting or hiking ? What about running around an old Scottish lodge house utilising secret corridors whilst taking down an assault helicopter and a small army of attackers, not to mention a jog over marsh land and a little swim.

Bet he sweated his ARSE OFF !!
    genericguy wrote:
    martini wrote:

It's just Barbour cheaping out unfortunately.
    You might expect a non-breathable lining on a £50 jacket but on a £400 one it is ridiculous that Barbour didn't use a modern fabric.
    Toying with the idea of buying a damaged Goretex jacket frm eBay and seeing if a tailor can replace the lining.

You might well be right. I haven't worn mine since early spring but it's about that time of year. I think it's a damn fine coat, however.
    "It is better to be as well dressed as possible to stave off, at least for a very little bit, the total collapse of civilization"
  • James BrosnanJames Brosnan Posts: 865MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'm getting the idea that it will be fine to wear outside in cold weather, but that it might be a good idea to open up the jacket or take it off completely when I'm inside. Sounds like a great jacket for a walk in the park when the weather's right. Can't wait to use it come soon.
    "Whoever she was, I must have scared the living daylights out of her." & "Tell mother I died game."
    CR/QoS, TLD, DN, GE, TSWLM, LTK, TND, TWiNE, TMWTGG, TB
    http://www.iconicalternatives.com/author/james-brosnan/
    https://www.instagram.com/shawn.michael.bongiorno/
  • VoxIsMyCowboyVoxIsMyCowboy Posts: 47MI6 Agent
    I don't actually find the jacket very warm, I always have to wear a scarf with it.
  • armenianmoviemanarmenianmovieman The 818Posts: 674MI6 Agent
    So something tells me that this jacket would be a waste in Los Angeles? :))
    Yes. Consssssiderably.
  • tardis1711tardis1711 Posts: 208MI6 Agent
    I had to sell mine due to the sweating issue.
    A real shame as the jacket is great. Perhaps not a problem if you wear it when it's really cold.
  • IanTIanT Posts: 573MI6 Agent
    I've had no problems with sweating in my Commander.

Neither has was got onto the seats of my car.

I shall be wearing out tonight when I go shooting zombies at Farmaggedon along with brown cord jeans, brogue boots and a blue merino wool pullover...
    tardis1711 wrote:
    I had to sell mine due to the sweating issue.
    A real shame as the jacket is great. Perhaps not a problem if you wear it when it's really cold.

Living in the UK permits me the joys of cold weather. Sweating in a Barbour is hard to do between September and April here.
    IanT wrote:
    I've had no problems with sweating in my Commander.

Neither has was got onto the seats of my car.

I shall be wearing out tonight when I go shooting zombies at Farmaggedon along with brown cord jeans, brogue boots and a blue merino wool pullover...

Sounds like a nice outfit!
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    I'm willing to bet this reporter in Dallas is a Bond fan. Nobody else would drop that kind of money on a jacket in a place that hit 80 on Christmas :007)
    IMG_4827.jpg
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,450MI6 Agent
    I'm willing to bet this reporter in Dallas is a Bond fan. Nobody else would drop that kind of money on a jacket in a place that hit 80 on Christmas :007)
    IMG_4827.jpg

He also provides a cautionary note: don't wear a sweaty Barbour waxed cotton jacket in anything less than Scotland Highland's weather.
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    Cheverian wrote:
    IMG_4827.jpg

He also provides a cautionary note: don't wear a sweaty Barbour waxed cotton jacket in anything less than Scotland Highland's weather.

In fairness to the guy it was a filmed segment that was shot when it was mighty cold...