Pros and Cons: Diamonds Are Forever

Comments

• heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    BluRay Marathon Number 7!

Pros:

- Lighter style at times works especially in the first half, there are some funny moments.
    - Sean Connery looks as if he's enjoying the funny elements.
    - Awesome title song.
    - Scaling the building is impressive.
    - Nice to see SC driving in Vegas without green-screen.
    - Sherry scene and Claret lines are great.
    - Q in Vegas.
    - M is funny.

Cons:

- Sean Connery doesn't look great (body at least) and he's not really doing much.
    - Blofeld is a joke.
    - T. Case is weak, and useless.
    - Plotline is okay, but the final usage of the diamonds is silly.
    - Locations are okay, but Vegas dates in films because of how much it changes.
    - Film becomes boring after the 1st act.
    - Generally looks as if it's filmed in a lazy manner, little care taken on shots, crowds, odd finishing shots etc.
    - Special effects are abysmal.
    - Wint and Kidd aren't as kitchly-funny as they used to be.
    - Repeat of "honesty of their workers" and Mrs. Whistler is clearly alive when being pulled from the water.
    - Finale sucks. The way in which Bond is able to just waltz around and T Case can walk up to him when he's on the ground!
    - There's no class. No fine Bond touch.

Observations:

Blofeld's circular painting from OHMSS survives in his office on the oil rig, cool.

BluRay:

Clear, looks good - although the film isn't impressive in terms of cinematography so no major wow factor.

Overall:

I get the whole light hearted change and the studio intervention of SC coming back - but the result is DAF being the worst Bond film. It's bumped DAD for me because at least DAD is a terrible thrill ride, this is just boring. It's poorly made and poorly acted. It lacks class or any general Bond enjoyment.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • am747am747 Posts: 720MI6 Agent
    BluRay Marathon Number 7!

Overall:

I get the whole light hearted change and the studio intervention of SC coming back - but the result is DAF being the worst Bond film. It's bumped DAD for me because at least DAD is a terrible thrill ride, this is just boring. It's poorly made and poorly acted. It lacks class or any general Bond enjoyment.

This film is in my bottom 1/4th. The film hasn't aged well like many of the other films .... But the part till Plenty gets thrown out is good. The film starts going downhill once Case enters LV. After that probably only the climbing scene and Bond being put in the pipe scene are good :))

This is probably one of the films like GE, TWINE, AVTAK, QoS and DAD that you may not automatically enjoy every time you put the BR on .... However, "on their day" they are pretty good :)
  • Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent
    Yay, now me and hmd have the same Bond film at the bottom!
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Both showing a bit more cheek than usual. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Both showing a bit more cheek than usual. ;)

:))
    Gassy Man wrote:
    The last great Ken Adam production.

Just noticed this on page one, seriously? Moonraker IMO is Ken Adam's best work. The film is dripping with his genius!
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • UnderwaterBattle007UnderwaterBattle007 Posts: 284MI6 Agent
    I liked DAF when I first saw it in the cinemas way back in 1971, and like LALD that followed they brightened up a very dismal real world that we had to live in.

In the UK this was a time of strikes by the Unions, power cuts and the three day week. What a horrible time it really was looking back.

One of the few joys then, apart from sensational bands of the time like Pink Floyd, Deep Purple Led Zepellin etc was James Bond and a couple of hours escapism before returning to the miserable world once again.

Now it's completely different and I agree DAF hasn't aged well. But for me I will always look back with fondness on it.
    FRWl, CR, OHMSS, TSWLM, SF, GF, TLD, LTK, TND, FYEO, OP,TWINE, GE, LALD, TB, SPECTRE, DN, YOLT, TMWTGG, QOS, MR, DAF, DAD, AVTAK, NTTD.

"Do you expect me to talk? "No Mister Bond I expect you to die"
    I liked DAF when I first saw it in the cinemas way back in 1971, and like LALD that followed they brightened up a very dismal real world that we had to live in.

In the UK this was a time of strikes by the Unions, power cuts and the three day week. What a horrible time it really was looking back.

One of the few joys then, apart from sensational bands of the time like Pink Floyd, Deep Purple Led Zepellin etc was James Bond and a couple of hours escapism before returning to the miserable world once again.

Now it's completely different and I agree DAF hasn't aged well. But for me I will always look back with fondness on it.

It appears as if unlike today's Bond films, the 60s-70s films had a huge impact on the fans in that period .... Just watching old movies on BR and comparing them with the latest ones, may not completely capture the impact those films had

{[]
    I know and appreciate the change in tone that Tom Mankiewicz brought to the series between DAF and TMWTGG. I guess the whole tone of terrorism, world domination plots etc. were not totally welcome by studio audiences.

It's interesting to think that OHMSS was a biological warfare plot and TSWLM was nuclear armageddon but the 3 in the middle were plots around diamond smuggling, drugs and a sole assassin who happened to mention to energy crisis.

It's just a shame that DAF in comparison with LALD and TMWTGG has so many production and casting issues that affect how the film feels.

"Better make that two."
    edited November 2015
    How ironic that my fave and least fave Connery EON BFs were both directed by the same man.

Having said this, Hamilton is prob my 3rd fave Bond director, after Gilbert and Glen.
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
  • WadsyWadsy Auckland, New ZealandPosts: 410MI6 Agent
    Pro's:
    Sean Connery returns

Con's:

Everything else.
    Worst Bond movie of the entire series, and I am not kidding either. Even DAD was more watchable than this, just don't like it at all.
    1. FYEO 2. OHMSS 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. TLD 6. TSWLM 7. GF 8. AVTAK 9. MR 10. DN 11. SF 12. LALD 13. TB 14. OP 15. CR 16. GE 17. YOLT 18. TMWTGG 19. SP 20. TND 21. TWINE 22. QOS 23. NTTD 24. DAF 25. DAD 26. NSNA 27. CR '67

1. Dalton 2. Moore 3. Connery 4. Craig 5. Lazenby 6. Brosnan
    Well Wadsy, even though we have our differences when it comes to Brozzer, it's interesting that we have the same least fave Bond film.
    lol. I just cannot take the movie seriously at all. Connery is bored, Charles Gray blows, Tiffany Case was an embarrassment, locations were dull, Wint & Kidd are not even worth mentioning, and the climax is a pathetic excuse for an end to Blofeld. What a lazy snoozer.
    1. FYEO 2. OHMSS 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. TLD 6. TSWLM 7. GF 8. AVTAK 9. MR 10. DN 11. SF 12. LALD 13. TB 14. OP 15. CR 16. GE 17. YOLT 18. TMWTGG 19. SP 20. TND 21. TWINE 22. QOS 23. NTTD 24. DAF 25. DAD 26. NSNA 27. CR '67

lol. I just cannot take the movie seriously at all. Connery is bored, Charles Gray blows, Tiffany Case was an embarrassment, locations were dull, Wint & Kidd are not even worth mentioning, and the climax is a pathetic excuse for an end to Blofeld. What a lazy snoozer.

^I generally agree. For me, the movie is a headache inducer.

So, 3 users on this page have DAF at the bottom of their rankings. Cheers to that.

{[]
  • JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    I have to agree that this is probably the weakest Bond movie. But QoS and Spectre are not better, and if they age as badly as DAF, they may take the position.
    Jag wrote:
    I have to agree that this is probably the weakest Bond movie. But QoS and Spectre are not better, and if they age as badly as DAF, they may take the position.

Think you might be in the minority on that one!

"Better make that two."
    As is the norm, people are more likely to give feedback for a bad experience .... A good experience is taken for granted and probably will not be reported. However, a great experience is likely be reported as well :)

Applying that to DAF, people are less likely to have great experience with it so it will not be reported. Those who find it good may not bother much. People who felt disappointed with it will likely post more :))
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Just watched DAF again tonight; the fluffiest of Connery confections. It was my first cinematic Bond experience and will always hold a fond place in my heart, so I like this one more than nearly anyone here...

Pros:
    Connery's having fun
    Elevator fight
    Mustang Mach 1 chase
    Mountaineering outside Whyte House
    Oil rig finale (yeah, I know ;% )
    Jill St. John - gorgeous

Cons:
    Connery's a bit doughy; looks older than he is
    Weak story
    Blofeld too flippant...and a very ugly woman :p
    Terrible acting by Jimmy Dean
    Wint & Kidd - wasted opportunity
    Tiffany Case & Plenty O'Toole - vapid

Still fun to watch, though! :007)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent

Disagree on this one point- they had me smilin'! :D
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:

I'm with chriisall. Loeffelholz, would you care to explain what was wasted about them? I thought they were used perfectly. I think the pair is one of the best things about the film.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits

Even though DAF is my least fave EON Bond film, I disagree about Jimmy Dean. Willard Whyte is one of the few things I like in DAF. I like how he says "Baja?! I don't have anything in Baja!".

It's funny how we Bond fans, even when seeing negatives in a film of the series, don't agree exactly on them.

I do agree with you that Grey's Blofeld sucks, as do Tiffany Case and Plenty O' Toole.

Even though DAF is my least fave EON Bond film, I disagree about Jimmy Dean. Willard Whyte is one of the few things I like in DAF. I like how he says "Baja?! I don't have anything in Baja!

Well, to be fair, he wasn't an actor. He was a country singer (and future sausage mogul ;) ). He really chews up the scenery and over reads every line he's given, IMO. I'm glad he works for you, though! -{
    Matt S wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

I'm with chriisall. Loeffelholz, would you care to explain what was wasted about them? I thought they were used perfectly. I think the pair is one of the best things about the film.

They could have been so much better. I would have preferred them to be more as they were in the novel, instead of caricatures...but it would have to have been a different DAF. As written by Fleming, they were much more dangerous.

Of course, the entire film is, in a sense, a wasted opportunity...and Wint and Kidd is DAF in microcosm.
    The first half of DAF is a fun watch, and it is actually very funny. Sean Connery plays the humour well. The movie seriously does fall apart though after Plenty is thrown out the window.

There's not even any suspense as to who actually is at the top of the WW building!

"Better make that two."
    The first half of DAF is a fun watch, and it is actually very funny. Sean Connery plays the humour well. The movie seriously does fall apart though after Plenty is thrown out of the window

{[]

And that 1st part is pretty good. Connery lights up the screen. DAF 2nd half suffers mainly because it looks dated now. It would hv been acceptable in 1971. .... There are relatively modern Bond films that are only good in parts or where only the highlights are good. ..... For reasons such as these i cannot rank DAF at the bottom

It was my first cinematic Bond experience and will always hold a fond place in my heart, so I like this one more than nearly anyone here...

Jill St. John - gorgeous

Jill St. John walking around in the two piece must have been a big hit with the audiences then. May be so much that similar concept was repeated in TMWTGG .... Jill St. John's entry was pretty good too :)
    " Jill St John's entry was pretty good too " :)) oh er! Misses. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    " Jill St John's entry was pretty good too " :)) oh er! Misses. :D

Taking Loeffelholz down the memory lane :))
    I'm reaching the age when "Memories" are all I have. :D