SPECTRE Being Shot in Anamorphic Panavision Confirmed

HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
For those who care or are interested in such things: We do know that SPECTRE is being short on film, however according to IMDb and also confirmed on Panavision's own website and Facebook Page, it is also being shot in good old anamorphic Panavision. The first Bond shot in anamorphic Panavision was Thunderball and the last was Die Another Day. Also, according to IMDb some scenes are also being filmed in Vistavision. Vistavision dates back to the early 50's and was Paramount Pictures answer to Cinemascope.
Vistavision was pretty much a dead format by the mid 60's but was revived in 1977 to shoot effects scenes for Star Wars.
SPECTRE is really going to be something to look at on the big screen.

Comments

• BIG TAMBIG TAM Wrexham, North Wales, UK.Posts: 773MI6 Agent
    I care! Bond films need to be wide!
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    BIG TAM wrote:
    I care! Bond films need to be wide!

Well, all Bond films after TMWTGG have been in the 2.40 to 1 aspect ratio (except for the IMAX version of "Skyfall" which was 1.90 to 1), they just achieved it through different processes (anamorphic Panavision, Super 35, HD Digital).

I am curious with the DP's experience using shifting aspect ratios for the IMAX version of "Interstellar" along with Vistavision being used to shoot certain scenes in "SPECTRE" (action/special effects scenes most likely) if the IMAX version of "SPECTRE" will also use the shifting ratios? Vistavision, in which the film moves through the camera horizontally creating a much larger negative area would yield an image that would fit the Digital IMAX aspect ratio of 1.90 to 1 very well with exceptional fidelity.
  • jasper_lamar_crabbjasper_lamar_crabb Posts: 169MI6 Agent
    I believe this was confirmed last year, but if not then yes it is indeed being shot with anamorphic lenses.

Please note that the Vistavision footage is just for VFX plates. There will not be any sequences that have been entirely shot in Vistavision.
    I believe this was confirmed last year, but if not then yes it is indeed being shot with anamorphic lenses.

Please note that the Vistavision footage is just for VFX plates. There will not be any sequences that have been entirely shot in Vistavision.

Makes sense. Just the effects inserts where the larger Vistavision negative area works well for "layering" shots. Vistavision also converts well to anamorphic. The use of Vistavision for effects shots (which was pioneered by John Dykstra on "Star Wars" in 1977)also leads me to believe that most of the effects are being done "old school" in camera with CGI just being utilized to clean things up.
    I'm more than fine without any gimmicky ratio changes for the IMAX version. I think the ratio changes worked very well in "Guardians of the Galaxy" because they were apparently planned for during shooting and they were probably more the result of using IMAX cameras for many scenes in "Intersteller". IMO, anamorphic Panavision shot on film looks really good in Digital IMAX and even in regular digital projection in cinemas. "Cowboys and Aliens" which was shot on film in anamorphic Panavision looked amazing projected digitally at my local multiplex on a 40 ft wide screen.
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    Confirmation that SPECTRE will be released in IMAX theatres globally on the 6th November 2015. The IMAX release of SPECTRE will be digitally re-mastered into the image and sound quality of the IMAX Experience with proprietary IMAX DMR (Digital Re-mastering) technology.

Bond Goes Big as Spectre Gets an IMAX Release
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/334765-bond-goes-big-as-spectre-gets-an-imax-release#/slide/1
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Good News {[]
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,331MI6 Agent
    Moore Than wrote:
    Confirmation that SPECTRE will be released in IMAX theatres globally on the 6th November 2015. The IMAX release of SPECTRE will be digitally re-mastered into the image and sound quality of the IMAX Experience with proprietary IMAX DMR (Digital Re-mastering) technology.

Bond Goes Big as Spectre Gets an IMAX Release
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/334765-bond-goes-big-as-spectre-gets-an-imax-release#/slide/1

This was on the poster last week. Sites grubbing for hits.
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,230MI6 Agent
    Hoping to see SPECTRE in Imax when November comes around. Skyfall was even better in IMAX than on a standerd cinema screen and I am sure that for SPECTRE the experince will be the same.
  • armenianmoviemanarmenianmovieman The 818Posts: 674MI6 Agent
    Watching in IMAX is moot, as it is unlikely it'll open up to fill the screen, the way Skyfall and Oblivion (and I believe Prometheus) did.
    Yes. Consssssiderably.
  • jasper_lamar_crabbjasper_lamar_crabb Posts: 169MI6 Agent
    The Mexico sequence was shot with spherical lenses. I like this idea of the movie switching to anamorphic after the title sequence. Kleinman should note this shift in his titles.
    I wouldn't jump to any conclusions at this point as to what the IMAX aspect ratio of SPECTRE will be. Based upon the predominance of anamorphics being used I would have my doubts that the whole IMAX version would be shown at 1.90 to 1. I have a feeling that the IMAX version will either be in shfting ratios or just straight 2.35 to 1. I just can't see the DP cropping the ends of 2.35 to 1 compositions to 1.90 to 1. The scenes being shot w/ spherical lenses could very well be in Super 35 which lends itself very well to 2.35 to 1 or 1.90 to 1. Same would apply to any FX shots done in Vistavision. The aerial photography which was done with HiDef Digital could go either way also. The non-IMAX version (which is primarily how it will be shown) will most certainly be all 2.35 to 1.
    The IMAX trailer was 2.35 to 1 (but so was the the trailer for Skyfall).
    For what it's worth, according to the latest information on IMDb.com, the IMAX version of SPECTRE will be shown in shifting aspect ratios: 2.35 to 1 and some scenes in 1.90 to 1.
    Just saw this on MI6.com. Apparently some scenes in SPECTRE were shot with the new ARRI Alexa 65 6K Large Format Camera.
    From what I have read, the ARRI 65 6K is digital's answer to good old 70mm film. If anything, SPECTRE is going to look fabulous and more than ever it sounds like the IMAX version could reallly be special and well worth a few extra $$$$. Hmm...is SPECTRE the epic Bond that many have been awaiting.....a cross between Goldfinger and OHMSS all wrapped up in the current "gritty" package?