Pros and Cons: The Spy Who Loved Me

Comments

• Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent
    "The lady will have a Bacardi on the rocks."
    "For the gentleman, vodka martini. Shaken, not stirred."
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    "The lady will have a Bacardi on the rocks."
    "For the gentleman, vodka martini. Shaken, not stirred."

+1 {[]
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
    Bach and Moore had great chemistry, even if Bach wasn't that much of an actress, she suited the movie quite well.

Their little banter at the Mojava Club (hope I spelled that right) clearly shows that.
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
  • WadsyWadsy Auckland, New ZealandPosts: 410MI6 Agent
    The Spy Who Loved Me

Pro's:

Everything

Con's:

I hate to do this but there are only two things that bring it down...

- Barbara Bach's acting, she isn't the best honestly and her plea to kill James Bond just irritates me throughout the second-half. There was really no need for it.
    - The last quarter of the film (The Submarine / Ship) - It's probably no surprise but it does slow the film down a bit, especially compared to the fun-ness of the rest of it
    1. FYEO 2. OHMSS 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. TLD 6. TSWLM 7. GF 8. AVTAK 9. MR 10. DN 11. SF 12. LALD 13. TB 14. OP 15. CR 16. GE 17. YOLT 18. TMWTGG 19. SP 20. TND 21. TWINE 22. QOS 23. NTTD 24. DAF 25. DAD 26. NSNA 27. CR '67

1. Dalton 2. Moore 3. Connery 4. Craig 5. Lazenby 6. Brosnan
    Wadsy wrote:
    - The last quarter of the film (The Submarine / Ship) - It's probably no surprise but it does slow the film down a bit, especially compared to the fun-ness of the rest of it

Hello fellow Kiwi! B-)

I actually like the change of pace through these scenes, they're well done and the fact that they've got to do a few things before the mission is complete is great. It's where all the jokes are put aside and the business needs to be done!

I've raised the issue before where the 3rd act of some Bond films actually becomes quite boring. In particular GF, TB, YOLT, GE and TND.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    Pros

stromberg is a cool villain. Love the bit where he's promised to pay Markowitz and Beckmann 10 million dollars each and the shot of them celebrating in the helicopter.

Stromberg's death is really undignified and cold. The sight of Bond shooting Stromberg multiple times and Stromberg collapsing into his tea is really brutal.

The locactions are cool.

The stuntwork is excellent. The BASE jump from Mt Asguard is one of the most memorable scenes in the series.

Barbara Bach as Anya is a beautiful Bond girl.

The plot twist of Anya finding out that it was Bond who killed Barsov.

The humour. "All those feathers and he still can't fly!"

Naomi is a hot femme fatale.

The big battle at the end on the Liparus

Cons

Barbara Bach as Anya is wooden in parts and her Russian accent slips in some scenes.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
    ^ great pros and cons.

Another Pro that I thought of last night after watching the doco is the return to increase in scale of the films.

OHMSS, DAF, LALD and TMWTGG are quite restrained in terms of production. The scale of TSWLM really solidifies Roger Moore's tenure. He carries the blockbuster.

Agree with your points on Stromberg, his voice is awesome too.

"Better make that two."
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    I liked Stromberg's voice too.it was put to great use during the scene where he kills his secretary by dropping her in his shark pool.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Yes -{ very " The Apprentice " ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    "When one is in Egypt one should delve deeply into its treasures."

(Hope I got that one-liner right.)
    "When one is in Egypt one should delve deeply into its treasures."

Love the whistley delivery by Rog on this one! :007)

"Better make that two."
    Didn't know that Stanley Kubrick played a part in the making of the film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFI-UvmxN1Q&feature=youtu.be

"Better make that two."
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,153MI6 Agent
    It's been quite some time since my last review (TMWTGG) but I watched TSWLM last night for the first time in many years.

Pros:
    PTS
    Titles
    Music
    Sets
    Modelwork
    Locations
    Sondor fight
    Bond - Fekkesh - Jaws - Anya first meeting
    Train fight
    Bond meeting Stromberg and naming species of fish
    Lotus car chase and underwater scenes
    Anya discovering that Bond had killed her lover
    The Liparus sinking
    Anya - Stromberg - Jaws - Hussein - Gogol - Naomi

Cons:
    Using several actors who have played different characters in previous films (Walter Gotell not included because his performance is so good and looks very different from his FRWL appearance)
    Some of Moore's puns are excruciatingly badly delivered
    Jaws dropping a huge brick on his foot - ruins a good sequence and suddenly his previous threatening menace becomes clown like.
    Use of stock footage of nuclear explosions is poor and reminiscent of DAF.
    Jaws surviving.
    Some process shots are poorly executed.

Observations:
    Broccoli is now the sole producer and he has certainly upped the ante bringing Bond back to the massive productions of TB and YOLT. Lewis Gilbert resumes direction duties and strangely enough TSWLM has same plotlines as YOLT although transferred from space to under the sea. Roger puts in a very impressive performance here giving Bond a hard edge. Strange how the killing of Sandor hardly gets a mention whereas the killings of Dent from DN and Locque from FYEO gets some people hot under the collar as being cold blooded.

Conclusion:
    I really enjoyed this I had forgotten how good it is - after a 3 year gap I think Broccoli saw it as a last chance after TMWTGG's relatively poor showing. There is hardly any of the silliness that would invade future Moore entries - the only thing I would have changed is not turning Jaws into a clown by the end because he was a genuinely threatening presence early in the film and he should have had a good fight with Bond at the end ending up with the shark killing him.

Anyway CHB will return reviewing MR in hopefully just a few days.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    What do you guys think of Carly Simon's "Nobody Does It Better"?
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    What do you guys think of Carly Simon's "Nobody Does It Better"?

As much as I think of John Barry as the ultimate composer for Bond, Marvin Hamlisch nailed it with this song.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Virgil37Virgil37 Posts: 1,212MI6 Agent
    Pros:
    * Roger Moore.- he looks at his best in this movie, and his performance is a fine balance of seriousness and comedy, making James Bond finally his own.
    * Barbara bach.- incredibly beautiful and believable as XXX.
    * The relationship between Bond and Anya is well scripted and developed. That he killed her lover adds tension to the story when she finds out. That she swears to kill Bond and he rescues her defines both characters . Just good scriptwriting.
    * PTS. One of those before and after moments in the series. That ski jump re-established the Bond franchise. It's so good.
    * Jaws. One of the most memorable henchmen in the whole series.
    * Nobody does it better.- one of my favourite songs.
    * Lotus. The submarine sequence still holds up.
    * The tanker set. Possibly Ken Adam's masterpiece.

Cons:

* Even though it's not bad, Marvin Hamlisch disco flavoured score sounds quite dated.
    * Curt Jurgens.- boring and two dimensional.
    * The main plot is an obvious remake of YOLT, even down to things that could have been easily changed, like finding clues on a microfilm. They didn't bother.

I just watched it on bluray after years, and it holds up really well. It has some iconic moments that influenced later movies, like QoS. I detect a lot of TSWLM Egypt sequence in the opera sequence for instance. After all, Daniel Craig grew up with Roger Moore's Bond.
    I really enjoyed this I had forgotten how good it is - after a 3 year gap I think Broccoli saw it as a last chance after TMWTGG's relatively poor showing.

Good point. I agree.

I think the US market was considered more with TSWLM - hence the larger sized production. The extended doco mentioned above covered a point that the US market started to take the character for granted and that there had to be big reasons to go and see Bond.

IMO, if Bond continued down the LALD/TMWTGG small style, fluffy production Bond probably would've started to decline as a character.

TSWLM and MR make me admire Broccoli immensely.

"Better make that two."
  • DiabolikDiabolik TexasPosts: 117MI6 Agent
    Pros:

+Some of Ken Adam's best work

+Lewis Gilbert is a fantastic director

+Smartly paced and a good balance between action and story

+The dialogue is very well written

+That Lotus Esprit

Cons:

-Barbara Bach is not a very good actress, completely unbelievable as a secret agent, and her Russian accent is lousy

-Finally we get a main Bond girl that is supposed to be just as skilled as 007, and they had to turn her into the typical damsel-in-distress at the end

-Stromberg is one of the less memorable villains

-plot is derivative of a far superior film
    1.TSWLM 2.LTK 3.YOLT 4.OHMSS 5.TWINE 6.LALD 7.MR 8.GE 9.DN 10.FRWL
    Bond: Pierce Brosnan Villain: Hugo Drax Girl: Pam Bouvier
    Diabolik wrote:

The words "far superior" are big in the Bond world.

It's clear you prefer YOLT to TSWLM, but having said that, I will admit that the plot is ripped off, as Gilbert clearly had a love for Cold War-based plots.

I much prefer TSWLM to YOLT, but it's all subjective.
  • DiabolikDiabolik TexasPosts: 117MI6 Agent
    The words "far superior" are big in the Bond world.

It's clear you prefer YOLT to TSWLM, but having said that, I will admit that the plot is ripped off, as Gilbert clearly had a love for Cold War-based plots.
    I admit that I was being slightly hyperbolic, but YOLT is one of my favorites while TSWLM... not so much. Even Moonraker is better IMO, mostly due the fact that I can't stand Bach as Agent XXX, and because Drax is a more interesting villain.
    I much prefer TSWLM to YOLT, but it's all subjective.
    That goes without saying.
    1.TSWLM 2.LTK 3.YOLT 4.OHMSS 5.TWINE 6.LALD 7.MR 8.GE 9.DN 10.FRWL
    Bond: Pierce Brosnan Villain: Hugo Drax Girl: Pam Bouvier
  • blame_thatcherblame_thatcher Posts: 199MI6 Agent
    Diabolik wrote:

If you mean You Only Live Twice, that's actually the inferior film.
    "But James, I need you!"
    "So does England!"
    "But James, I need you!"
    "So does England!"

Love that quote, and the little trumpet (or whatever that is) makes it funnier!

"Better make that two."
    Yeah, this film is very quotable.
    The Mojave Club is truly an example of impressive set design.

Great piece of music from MH to go along with it too.

"Better make that two."
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent

Great piece of music from MH to go along with it too.

Indeed it is! {[]
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    I wasn't lookingggg
    But somehow you found meee
    I tried to hide from your loooovvveeeee
    But like heaven above meeeee
    The spy who loved me
    Is keeping all my secrets safe toniiiiight
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,294MI6 Agent
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dig1Z3Zk1K0

Munro is so down to earth , loved talking to her in Blackpool :007)
    Here's my ranking of the Gilbert-directed Bond films:

TSWLM
    MR
    YOLT

I'm curious as to how others would rank them.