SPECTRE POSSIBLE SPOILER - Bond's flat.

Comments

• CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    In regard to Bond's flat, if he were just an ordinary senior civil servant with no other income then of course he could not afford to own it. However, in the novels it's never made clear whether he rents it or owns it. In SF M states Bond had his flat sold, which would mean he actually owned it. It we are strictly speaking about his new flat in SP, he may be renting it or he may have bought it. In either case, he could afford it based on his history of being a successful gambler (in Moonraker, Bond won the equivalent today of over £ 130,000 from Drax at Blades calculated with inflation). One must also consider that he inherited the SF estate along with possibly a fat financial portfolio. Yes, his home was destroyed but it was probably insured (though he probably would go through hell with the insurance company in collecting based on how it happened!). However, he would have still owned the land it sits on. I think after these postings we should consider laying to rest the idea of Bond not being able to afford his flat and lifestyle.
  • martinimartini Posts: 289MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    A wardrobe of Tom Ford clothes is still a stretch for someone who earns £100k a year.

Not if he were single.
    "It is better to be as well dressed as possible to stave off, at least for a very little bit, the total collapse of civilization"
    In regard to Bond's flat, if he were just an ordinary senior civil servant with no other income then of course he could not afford to own it. However, in the novels it's never made clear whether he rents it or owns it. In SF M states Bond had his flat sold, which would mean he actually owned it. It we are strictly speaking about his new flat in SP, he may be renting it or he may have bought it.

Actually, it could just mean that the flat MI6 have for him was sold, thinking that they were an agent down or whatever...?
    "It is better to be as well dressed as possible to stave off, at least for a very little bit, the total collapse of civilization"
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    martini wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    A wardrobe of Tom Ford clothes is still a stretch for someone who earns £100k a year.

Not if he were single.

All the Tom Ford clothes Bond wears in SP would cost US$49,000. That would be about £34,000, though that's just a conversion of the US prices since I don't know the prices of Tom Ford clothes in the UK. I'd assume the cost would be much higher in the UK since taxes are much higher. Then there are other clothes Bond wears, including the very expensive Dior jacket. I'm single and certainly cannot afford to spend anywhere close to one third of my salary on clothes. Bond would need to earn a lot more than just his salary to afford the clothes he wears. If he had a working spouse with no children, then he could just barely afford it. But he's single, and just on that salary alone he could not.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • thelordflasheartthelordflasheart Posts: 310MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    martini wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

Not if he were single.

All the Tom Ford clothes Bond wears in SP would cost US$49,000. That would be about £34,000, though that's just a conversion of the US prices since I don't know the prices of Tom Ford clothes in the UK. I'd assume the cost would be much higher in the UK since taxes are much higher. Then there are other clothes Bond wears, including the very expensive Dior jacket. I'm single and certainly cannot afford to spend anywhere close to one third of my salary on clothes. Bond would need to earn a lot more than just his salary to afford the clothes he wears. If he had a working spouse with no children, then he could just barely afford it. But he's single, and just on that salary alone he could not.

In the books (IIRC) it states that Bond has the salary of a senior civil servant, plus an equal amount paid to him from his estate. So if he was earning 100,000 pounds a year (which seems likely) then his income would really be 200,000 per year.

But then there's the issue of branding. Setting aside the incredible detective work of members here, I don't think for a second that we're ever meant to believe that Bond is wearing specific brands in the films if they aren't stated. When Bond finds White in SP I don't think the audience is meant to think "Oh, he's wearing a Dior jacket!". or "Oh, that obviously a hat made by such and such which costs this much money". I think the general public just thinks that he's wearing...a nice jacket.

Of course, for real world branding purposes the companies providing the clothes will exploit the connection, but again I don't think we're supposed to think that it matters in-universe. For another example, when Bond is down and out in Turkey in SF I think we're meant to believe that he's wearing an old, worse for wear leather jacket and not specifically a Levis Menlo. But because the Menlo looks a certain way with finish and fit they picked it to have in the film instead of some jacket from Wal-mart...
  • TeenageBondTeenageBond London, UKPosts: 211MI6 Agent
    ggl007 wrote:
    SFPROPS wrote:
    He does like to read! Also, I love the coffee table. Evokes Skyfall.

Regarding the books, they were provided to the film by a small antique bookshop in Chiswick (London, UK).
    In an interview with a magazine, they mention authors such as Patrick Leigh Fermor and John Arlot.

I had the privilege of meeting with the owner Stephen Foster and had an intellectual chat about books and Bond.
    In addition to Bond, he has also stocked Sherlock Holmes's bookshelf and multiple Netflix shows.

This should give some insight into Bonds book choices. ;)

Below is the article:
    http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/National/article1606417.ece

The bookshop website:
    http://www.95bellstreet.com/

another article on the same bookshop:
    http://www.007.info/licensed-to-read-whats-on-007s-bookshelves/

Sorry, I can't read the whole article, could you share it, please??

Unfortunately, I read it in the physical newspaper but lost the clipping. Also, you have to be a paying member of The Sunday Times to view the entire article online although it is very similar to the 007.info article.

Also, Bond reads a lot of travel writing by John Arlot.
    Matt S wrote:
    martini wrote:

Not if he were single.

In the books (IIRC) it states that Bond has the salary of a senior civil servant, plus an equal amount paid to him from his estate. So if he was earning 100,000 pounds a year (which seems likely) then his income would really be 200,000 per year.

But then there's the issue of branding. Setting aside the incredible detective work of members here, I don't think for a second that we're ever meant to believe that Bond is wearing specific brands in the films if they aren't stated. When Bond finds White in SP I don't think the audience is meant to think "Oh, he's wearing a Dior jacket!". or "Oh, that obviously a hat made by such and such which costs this much money". I think the general public just thinks that he's wearing...a nice jacket.

Of course, for real world branding purposes the companies providing the clothes will exploit the connection, but again I don't think we're supposed to think that it matters in-universe. For another example, when Bond is down and out in Turkey in SF I think we're meant to believe that he's wearing an old, worse for wear leather jacket and not specifically a Levis Menlo. But because the Menlo looks a certain way with finish and fit they picked it to have in the film instead of some jacket from Wal-mart...

The tailored clothes we're supposed to think are very high-end, perhaps bespoke. Tom Ford goes for the style and quality of English bespoke, even though by the fit the clothes doesn't look bespoke. Bespoke shirts would cost less than Tom Ford, but the suits and coats would cost the same. And that's the heart of his wardrobe. If Bond has an equal amount paid to him from his estate, then he can afford his clothes. But sure, the Dior jacket could just have as easily cost a small fraction of the actual price. But I wouldn't say that about most of the clothes.
    Matt S wrote:
    martini wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

Not if he were single.

Well, let's assume he is on at least £100k/annum (he simply has to be on at least that - I know people aged 31-37, in the civil service, on more), not including travel bonuses etc. Assuming he didn't blow £40k on clothing in one go, then it's definitely not ridiculous. There are people working in London, on that salary, wearing bespoke suits. Maybe £10k a year on suits? But anyway, I feel partly responsible for a derailing.

It's all fantasy anyway.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Back to Bond's flat.... It's not inconceivable that MI6, having sold his flat, would feel responsible and are possibly letting him rent the flat at reduced rate or free of charge...
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    Back to Bond's flat.... It's not inconceivable that MI6, having sold his flat, would feel responsible and are possibly letting him rent the flat at reduced rate or free of charge...

It's a government agency, not a charity organisation. MI6 showing pity for Bond is quite inconceivable to me. Bond deserted MI6, so I don't think they would reward him for that. If they did pay for something, it wouldn't be such a luxurious flat.
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    martini wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

Not if he were single.

Don't forget to factor in the fact that he never wears the same suit twice...
    Matt S wrote:
    martini wrote:

Not if he were single.

Don't forget to factor in the fact that he never wears the same suit twice...

In Spectre he wears the same suit on two separate occasions. Connery wears his hacking jacket in two different films. And some of the clothes Connery and Moore wore from film to film (like the single-breasted blazers and dinner suits in TSWLM and MR) were so similar they could pass for the same garment. But generally, you're right that he often wears new clothes, which I've factored in to my beliefs.
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent
    I was only referring to the Craig era - but he puts the same suit on twice in Spectre? Which suit/scenes? I missed it.
    I was only referring to the Craig era - but he puts the same suit on twice in Spectre? Which suit/scenes? I missed it.

The grey herringbone track stripe suit is worn to M's office, and then Bond wears it the next day with a different shirt and tie to Q's lab. It should have been a different suit considering it's another day.

Craig's striped navy suits at the end of CR and beginning of QOS are supposed to be the same suit, but different costume designers and providers meant different suits.
  • nn75nn75 Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    I don´t know if has been confirmed before but I found the envelope he opens in his sofa.
    check the link.
    http://www.allcolourenvelopes.co.uk/blog/
  • DrydenDryden UKPosts: 131MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:

It's a government agency, not a charity organisation. MI6 showing pity for Bond is quite inconceivable to me. Bond deserted MI6, so I don't think they would reward him for that. If they did pay for something, it wouldn't be such a luxurious flat.

True enough but they might feel obligated to return the proceeds from the sale when he turned up alive. Add on the funds from the sale of Skyfall and its gun cabinet then his flat seems quite affordable.
    Dryden wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

True enough but they might feel obligated to return the proceeds from the sale when he turned up alive. Add on the funds from the sale of Skyfall and its gun cabinet then his flat seems quite affordable.

I agree that they should be obligated to return the proceeds from the sales of his property. In that case, he should be able to afford to purchase his flat.
  • Bond Collectors' WeekendsBond Collectors' Weekends Gainesville, Florida USAPosts: 1,883MI6 Agent
    nn75 wrote:
    I don´t know if has been confirmed before but I found the envelope he opens in his sofa.
    check the link.
    http://www.allcolourenvelopes.co.uk/blog/

Nice work! -{ -{
    Seven (007) James Bond Tours! Mission: Mexico!
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Posts: 333MI6 Agent
    Someone here posted a link to this apartment http://www.douglasandgordon.com/property/photogallery/?a=sale&id=41532 as being the one in Spectre, I'm not so sure it is?

If you look at the shot in the movie when Bond is in the apartment you can see the windows go floor to ceiling, where as that apartment for sale there is a wall below the window in all rooms, also the fireplace doesn't match up. I would assume the apartment for sale is the floor above or below Bond's apartment?
  • CRBCRB Posts: 483MI6 Agent
    The interior are a set. That flat was used for outdoor shots.
    Matt S wrote:

Don't underestimate how spineless the UK Government are. It's almost impossible to even let anyone go (fire them).
    CRB wrote:

I understand, even in the outdoor shot the Windows go floor to ceiling, the flat for sale doesn't so it's definitely a different flat to he one used for the outside shot....I think
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    I think it would be appropriate for mi6 to reimburse bond for the sale of his flat, without a body the proceeds would have been held until a death certificate was produced, and not enough time had elapsed in the film. Also given bond was shot by one of mi6's own agents he would have an excellent compensation package to claim. As to whether bond could actually afford the flat? Well he has independent wealth from his inheritance, he has won some major amounts with his gambling (read moonraker) and would receive expenses if his job required him to be based in London ( tho realistically his job wouldn't) particularly these days when he'd be spending most his time tracking terrorist cells, and dealing with terrorist finances.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Bond Collectors' WeekendsBond Collectors' Weekends Gainesville, Florida USAPosts: 1,883MI6 Agent
    ...And also the movie people, they give Bond clothes, too.

...And also Craig's Bond clearly cares far more about clothing and Macallan liquor than, say, Europiccola machines.

Now, where are those slippers?

08_Slippers_Robe_2.jpg
    Let's leave the fancy coffee to Sir Roger ( raises eyebrow, slight nid of head)
    Let's leave the fancy coffee to Sir Roger ( raises eyebrow, slight nid of head)
    CRB wrote:

I understand, even in the outdoor shot the Windows go floor to ceiling, the flat for sale doesn't so it's definitely a different flat to he one used for the outside shot....I think

It's the same building. The flat for sale is the ground floor and Bond's is the first floor.
    But I'm serious about those slippers. There is an item I'd love to have!
    I would like a similar dressing gown...
    Matt S wrote:
    CRB wrote:

It's the same building. The flat for sale is the ground floor and Bond's is the first floor.

That's what I thought, still it wouldn't be bad living in the building its a nice area and the apartment is very nice!