Wet Shaving

2»

Comments

• BarbaricBarbaric Cedar Grove, NJ, USAPosts: 19MI6 Agent
    martini wrote:
    So then, is it worth getting a cut-throat and strop, or a replaceable blade cut-throat? Which do people recommend?

I wet shave currently using standard Gillette stuff, but want to change.

Unless you are going to share your razor with another person (why would you do that outside of a barber shop???) , get a quality straight edge and strop it. Heat your whiskers with hot towels. Apply soap or cream liberally and often. Follow up with a good skin balm. I find Everyman Jack to work well for me, but your experiences may differ depending on your skin.

As I said before, getting a good shave from an old school barber who knows what he's doing is worth it especially for special occasions. For instance, I shaved this morning using Gillette Fusion gel and razors and now, not even eight hours later, I can feel a scruff when I pull my hand across my face. That doesn't happen with a professional shave. A good professional shave by a good barber will last several days...of course depending on your facial hair growth.
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,332Chief of Staff
    Barbaric wrote:
    Unless you are going to share your razor with another person (why would you do that outside of a barber shop???)

Father teaching son?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    edited August 2015
    My Mum taught me all I need to know with a razor.
    she was great at fighting with one ! :))

Once in a pub four guys had her on the floor beating the hell out of her.
    The Barman asked if I wasn't going to help out ?
    I said " No there's four of them, ....... they should be able to take her " ;)
    ( Les Dawson)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • SFPROPSSFPROPS USAPosts: 380MI6 Agent
    Merkur with soap all the way. It's going to get you almost as close as a stropped straight blade with the added benefits of lower costs than multi-blades and the time it takes to do a proper straight razor shave (without nicks). I switched from high-end corporate multi-blade disposables to a Merkur with Personna blades and saved a ton and get a better shave since I can afford to switch to a clean, sharp blade more often.
  • BarbaricBarbaric Cedar Grove, NJ, USAPosts: 19MI6 Agent
    TP, your wit is killing me. I just laughed so hard I spit my drink all over my keyboard...although...I'm sure that kept your dad in line.
    My Mum taught me all I need to know with a razor.
    she was great at fighting with one ! :))
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    Had my first wet shave today. Used Gillette foam and a disposable razor. The experience is not for me. I'd either upfrade my electric shaver to a wet/dry one, or not bother at all.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Disposable razors are the devil's work, as is foam in a can, shaving with a proper safety razor using decent shaving soap and a brush is a totally different experience and result, I get shaving rash easily as the knap of my hair goes in different directions except when using a cut throat or safety razor even with an electric, maybe it's not for you but why not go to a decent barbers and have them do it. The results are beyond compare. :D
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    Wouldnt count a disposable shaver as a proper wet shave experience :D
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Wash your mouth out with floris and water! "disposable razor" is swear word ;)
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,332Chief of Staff
    Chriscoop wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Wash your mouth out with floris and water! "disposable razor" is swear word ;)

Totally agree, they're not to be tolerated. {[]
  • JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    I still use disposable razors, but would never go to a foam/gel can. The best you can do is get a good shaving soap and brush. There are great synthetic alternatives to animal-bristle brushes nowadays that can rival badger, so all can be done cruelty-free.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Disposable razors are good for donating blood to the local sewer.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Even half way decent Gillette* safety razors do a great job - I still have one from my early twenties, almost 30 years ago ( I change the blades :)) ).
    Similarly you can get a decent shaving bristle brush from The Body Shop for less than £10 and shaving soap in a bowl for less than £5 and the results are great.

(* our man's choice for foam though I've never seen a Hoffritz razor).
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • JoviusJovius Albuquerque, NMPosts: 42MI6 Agent
    I use a Van Der Hagen double edged safety razor and C. O. Bigelow Shave Cream. It takes practice.