Pros and Cons: Octopussy

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Well...it's better than AVTAK :#

EDIT: My 10,000th post was about OP. Go figure! :))

It could have been worse Loeffelholz - it could have been about AVTAK :))

:)) {[]
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    The only smudges I see in this film is as you say, The Union Jack thing (which isn't too bad) - and the Tarzan thing, which is horrible.

The good thing is, they're rather brief. I disagree they affect the tone of the film - I think the double taking pigeon, the Bondola and the billboards with the ambulance driving up the hill in MR have more of an affect on the tone of the film. FYEO has some glaring "tone" affects too.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Pros:
    It has everything you could expect from a top-shelf Bond movie!
    Cons: It sometimes has TOO much. A slight bit of editing would have made this such a perfect film!
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    The only smudges I see in this film is as you say, The Union Jack thing (which isn't too bad) - and the Tarzan thing, which is horrible.

The good thing is, they're rather brief. I disagree they affect the tone of the film - I think the double taking pigeon, the Bondola and the billboards with the ambulance driving up the hill in MR have more of an affect on the tone of the film. FYEO has some glaring "tone" affects too.

That's my problem with the last half of the Moore Era for me in a nutshell---and although brief, Geezer Bond swinging through the jungle with the Tarzan yell dubbed over is the first thing I think of when this film is mentioned :# This sort of thing really breaks the fourth wall for me: I resent the producers elbowing me in the ribs ("Funny, eh?! Funny!")...it's like a concert pianist breaking into a cartoon 'key tickle' in the middle of 'Ode to Joy.'
    Geezer Bond swinging through the jungle with the Tarzan yell dubbed over is the first thing I think of when this film is mentioned :#
    The first thing I think of is the bomb diffusing scene. -{
    But yeah, sometimes the little things can stick with you & ruin an entire film. :# :#
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    Geezer Bond swinging through the jungle with the Tarzan yell dubbed over is the first thing I think of when this film is mentioned :#
    The first thing I think of is the bomb diffusing scene. -{

I'm the same as you. It's an incredible scene. But some people also think of that scene as one of the worst in the series because Bond is dressed as a clown.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I think Roger gives a great performance as Bond in Octopussy. :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Matt S wrote:

I'm the same as you. It's an incredible scene. But some people also think of that scene as one of the worst in the series because Bond is dressed as a clown.
    Which makes it all the more absurdly tense!
    Thing is, what OP gets right it gets SO RIGHT that I can just go to the fridge for the few moments I don't care for.
    But I never miss the "SIIITTTAH"! :)) :)) :)) :))
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    The Tarzan yell, and clown disguise. Doesn't bother me greatly. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    The clown disguise works, because how else was he going to get in there? He was being chased.

While there's some absurdity, it bloody works! "That's why Bond is the best we have, although I'd never tell him."
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
    As it ever was...some love OP and hate SF...love AVTAK and despise QoS...adore MR and frown on TB. All down to taste.

Vive le difference :007)
    Yes I adore MR but I certainly don't frown upon TB!

"Better make that two."
  • Penfold HeartPenfold Heart Posts: 159MI6 Agent
    I just re-watched it recently and very much enjoyed the performance of Kabir Bedi as Gobinda the henchman. No one has really mentioned him much.

He was pretty intense, and you wouldn't want to tangle with him -{
  • Bondage007Bondage007 AustraliaPosts: 371MI6 Agent
    I found him a bit generic....but the whole cast of villains combined are excellent, one of the best
    2019 Bondathon...in progress (6) FRWL (7) GE (8) FYEO (9) TND (10) MR (11) GF (12) LALD (13) DAF (14) LTK (15) TMWTGG (16) TB (17) TSWLM (18) DAD (19) AVTAK (20) YOLT (21) QOS (22) SF (23) TWINE (24) SP
    He was pretty intense, and you wouldn't want to tangle with him

"Yes, Excellence."

"Better make that two."
  • am747am747 Posts: 720MI6 Agent
    edited December 2015
    Another nice film from the 80s. It is like James Bond meets Indiana Jones.

Pros:
    * PTS
    * Auction sequence
    * India sequences
    * Train sequence (esp. driving Mercedes on the rail tracks -{ )
    * The plane sequence at the end

Cons:
    * Song not that good relatively speaking
    * Bond's escape from Monsoon place (the infamous Tarzan yell)
    * Bond disguised as an alligator, Bond in Gorilla suit, Bond in ....

Overall, this is a solid and enjoyable film.
  • Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent
    Pros:

-Great action.
    -Great direction from Glen.
    -We get to see Bond in India.
    -A terrific score.
    -The return of Maud Adams as the fascinating Octopussy.
    -Kamal Khan is a great BV.
    -General Orlov is a nice additional villain.
    -IMO, one of Moore's best performances as 007.
    -Great chemistry between Adams and Moore.
    -Gobinda is a memorable henchman.

Cons:
    -I find it hard to connect the Faberge egg (not sure if that "e" is capital or not) with Orlov's plan of conquest.

Overall, I love OP, and give it a 10/10.
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later
    I find it hard to connect the Faberge egg (not sure if that "e" is capital or not) with Orlov's plan of conquest.

The plot is one of the tougher ones to get one's head around, similar to TLD...

"Better make that two."
    Honestly OP might have my fave Bond score. It just gets me pumped.

Barry really did a great job with it.
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    OP has some very entertaining sequences such as PTS, train chase including MB driven on rail tracks, plane chase, etc. And ofc the background score is nicely done as well
    Octopussy is just generally an all-round great action-adventure film. Clearly taken some influences from the pacing and style of Indiana Jones.

"Better make that two."
    I find it hard to connect the Faberge egg (not sure if that "e" is capital or not) with Orlov's plan of conquest.

The plot is one of the tougher ones to get one's head around, similar to TLD...

It took me a few watches to fully understand all that, but it all makes more sense than Skyfall or Spectre.
    Honestly OP might have my fave Bond score. It just gets me pumped.

Barry really did a great job with it.

Yeah, it's one of my favourites too. It has great use of the Bond theme, the main theme is a fantastic love theme within the score, the action cues are great, and it has my favourite gunbarrel music of the entire series. The Blu-ray, however, fades in over the first hit of the music, ruining it! :# But one of the audio channels in another language still has the gunbarrel music in all its glory.

This YouTube video is close, though it was slightly sped up so the music is in the wrong key: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCIqK6YgkiE
    Kamal Khan has some great lines, RIP Louis Jordan, terrific actor.
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,213MI6 Agent
    So onto OP in my quest of revisiting all the movies - watched this last night for the first time in many years and I am typing this up on the balcony over an early Bondian breakfast of green figs, yogurt and coffee, very black :D

Pros:
    PTS
    Title Song
    Russian strategy meeting
    Killing of Vijay
    General Orlov (gloriously OTT) - Magda.

Cons:
    Backgammon game
    Tricycle chase (disappointingly comedic - tricycles are a popular mode of transport here and I was looking forward to something better)
    Fights
    Jungle hunt
    Car on railway track
    Obvious stunt doubles
    Gorilla
    Entire circus sequence
    Bond as a clown
    Cheap looking sets
    Kamal Khan - Gobinda - Octopussy

Observations:
    A new M and pretty good too. Moneypenny has an assistant -maybe they were thinking of replacing Lois?

Conclusion:
    This is such a let down after FYEO. Roger seems to have aged a lot since the last one and is obviously too old - he moved awkwardly when he was younger now it's just embarrassing. Kamal Khan is another bland villain and Gobinda packs no menace whatsoever. - Reusing an actress who had already had a big part in a previous film was a poor choice and I could actually see no chemistry between Octopussy and Bond at all. I had forgotten how beautiful Magda is - one of the best Bond girls of the entire series. The film is reminiscent of GF in places and mimicking the golf scenes as the backgammon scenes is a poor choice. I actually like the title song although it apparently is not very popular but the rest of the score is just so-so, I think John Barry had lost interest in Bond by then. Turning Bond into a clown was probably apt by this point. Definitely the worst for me up to this point.

CHB will return reviewing AVTAK soon.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    :( oh dear!

"Better make that two."
    :( oh dear!

Yes, oh dear indeed! I don't understand what he saw and heard in this film. It's one of John Barry's strongest scores, and Barry certainly had not lost interest in Bond for this film. Just listen to Barry's other scores from the time and it's clear Barry put a lot more effort into this film than into, say, High Road to China.

OLD RANKINGS 1: Ohmss 2: Cr 3: Frwl 4:gf 5: Ltk 6: Dn 7: Tb 8: Sf 9: Yolt 10: Tld 11: Lald 12: Tswlm 13: Tnd 14: Fyeo 15: Daf 16: Twine 17: Ge 18: Op 19: Mr 20: Avtak 21: Dad 22: Tmwtgg 23: Qos

NEW RANKINGS: 1: OHMSS 2: FRWL 3: GF 4: DN 5: YOLT 6: FYEO 7: TB 8: TSWLM 9: LALD 10: TMWTGG 11: DAF 12: MR 13: OP

OP has actually climbed 6 places on your ranking but your review does not reflect that. May be others are still to be ranked on your new system .... Like that you have a lot of films from the 60s and 70s in your top 13 :)
    The OP score is one of my fave Barry scores, if not my fave.

But if CHB doesn't like it, then fair enough.
    The OP score is one of my fave Barry scores, if not my fave.

But if CHB doesn't like it, then fair enough.

It's one thing to not like it but another to say that Barry lost interest in Bond.
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    I am typing this up on the balcony over an early Bondian breakfast of green figs, yogurt and coffee, very black 

and yet no mention of anything Fleming in your review. Property of a Lady ring a bell? Auction scene? Why don't you like the blackgammon scene? It's basically taken from the Moonraker novel. How bout Roger doing a fine job of summarizing the Octopussy short story?

Yet another fine Roger Moore film being totally underappreciated...
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK