Bond film you like but others don't/you dislike that most like

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Wadsy wrote:
    Tomorrow Never Dies but I honestly don't know what people think of that film. I know that it is one of the weaker ones in most's eyes.
    X-(
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • eric7064eric7064 USAPosts: 343MI6 Agent
    Film I love that most don't is Moonraker. Really enjoy the film and think it's great fun. Movie I think is overrated is FYEO and OP.
    eric7064 wrote:
    Movie I think is overrated is FYEO and OP.
    When they're good, they're very very good.
  • Brosnan_fanBrosnan_fan Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 521MI6 Agent
    I used to be among the detractors of QOS, but after re-watching it, I quite enjoy it. -{

It's a pretty good entry in the series; I think people will be re-examining and reassessing it in years to come.
    "Well, he certainly left with his tails between his legs."
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    DAF was the first Bond I saw on the big screen, so I simply love it. And I am baffled by the admiration some heap on OP, as I feel it's the second worst in the series, only to AVTAK (which has its own die-hard lovers). Vive le difference.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Virgil37Virgil37 Posts: 1,212MI6 Agent
    I've always liked a lot MR and AVTAK. Actually, they might be the two Bond movies I had most fun with when I first saw them. Granted, I was a kid, but I used to love crappy movies (non-Bond series) which I ultimately realised were crap. Not MR or AVTAK. I still think they are fantastic, many years later.

TB and YOLT. With TB, I always, since day one, got bored with the overlong underwater sequences. It's still an enjoyable movie, and Connery is fantastic, but I never understood all the fuss about it, other than sheer bondmania when it was released, and the fact that it was bigger. YOLT is just plain boring to me. It has aged terribly IMO. The Japan scenes are overlong. Connery is out of shape and bored to death, so he gives his worst performance as Bond. Yes, even worse than DAF, where he has his tongue firmly in his cheek, so it's better. In YOLT he's just out of it.
    Wadsy wrote:
    A film I dislike that most like - errrr... Probably Tomorrow Never Dies but I honestly don't know what people think of that film. I know that it is one of the weaker ones in most's eyes.

Certainly in my eyes.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia, PAPosts: 753MI6 Agent
    Films I like that many don't: Moonraker is right towards the top of my ranking. This is no spy thriller, but the film knows its tone and plays it pitch perfectly.

I enjoy FYEO but it is far down on my rankings where many here have a lot of love for this film. I don't find it nearly as serious as some do. Again, still enjoy it though, but then there are none that I don't :)
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Virgil37 wrote:
    TB and YOLT. With TB, I always, since day one, got bored with the overlong underwater sequences. It's still an enjoyable movie, and Connery is fantastic, but I never understood all the fuss about it, other than sheer bondmania when it was released, and the fact that it was bigger. YOLT is just plain boring to me. It has aged terribly IMO. The Japan scenes are overlong. Connery is out of shape and bored to death, so he gives his worst performance as Bond. Yes, even worse than DAF, where he has his tongue firmly in his cheek, so it's better. In YOLT he's just out of it.

I can't agree with any of that on YOLT, except that Connery is slightly out of shape. It's amazing how we can see that film so much differently.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Bondage007Bondage007 AustraliaPosts: 371MI6 Agent
    I love every moment of Octopussy (well except the theme song, the instrumental is ok)

I don't like watching Skyfall. It's not a bad film, just a pain to sit through
    2019 Bondathon...in progress (6) FRWL (7) GE (8) FYEO (9) TND (10) MR (11) GF (12) LALD (13) DAF (14) LTK (15) TMWTGG (16) TB (17) TSWLM (18) DAD (19) AVTAK (20) YOLT (21) QOS (22) SF (23) TWINE (24) SP
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I must be one of the few who actually like " All Time High" :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Matt S wrote:
    Virgil37 wrote:

I can't agree with any of that on YOLT, except that Connery is slightly out of shape. It's amazing how we can see that film so much differently.

Thanks. That's why I include it in this thread, I know a lot of you guys love YOLT.
    Virgil37 wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    Virgil37 wrote:

Thanks. That's why I include it in this thread, I know a lot of you guys love YOLT.

I've been feeling lately that I'm in the minority on this one.
  • Bondage007Bondage007 AustraliaPosts: 371MI6 Agent
    Opinion on YOLT tends to be below average. On AJB the average rank is 13.2 which is consistent with other sources. Only 16/66 people have ranked YOLT in the top 10 on AJB since Skyfall was released
    2019 Bondathon...in progress (6) FRWL (7) GE (8) FYEO (9) TND (10) MR (11) GF (12) LALD (13) DAF (14) LTK (15) TMWTGG (16) TB (17) TSWLM (18) DAD (19) AVTAK (20) YOLT (21) QOS (22) SF (23) TWINE (24) SP
  • King KamalKing Kamal Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    FYEO.
    I do really like the film but I think TLD does the job of trying to get a more back to basics, espionage/cold war thriller much better. It just comes down to pacing really, some of the Cortina scenes really drag and serve little purpose to the film (the cringeworthy Bibi scenes and the Melina sledge scene) plus the music is often inappropriately sedate so that it almost sends you to sleep. Kristatos is a good villain but he isn't featured enough or memorably enough for his reveal to have any impact (all he does before that it watch figure skating and go to a restaurant with Bond), he needs more background. Colombo equally is underused, Bibi Dahl is irritating and while Melina has great promise is voiced over terribly. The ending with the knife through the back just seems a tad anticlimactic-If he then fell of the cliff (like Kriegler) then it would have been more memorable. There's plenty that's brilliant (Moore, the opening scenes, car chase, suspenseful cliff climbing, the keel hauling, theme song, ski scenes, locations, hell I even like that final scene) but overall maybe you can tell its John Glen's first time as director here.
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    FYEO and Skyfall are #22 and #23 on my ranking, but most fans seem to put them towards the other end of the spectrum.
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent
    It does seem that SF has it's share of detractors, but that just goes to show how one person's favorite might be less of a fave to another.
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Virgil37 wrote:

Yes, truly amazing! But you and I are on the same page with respect to YOLT. I love it! {[]
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    you and I are on the same page with respect to YOLT. I love it! {[]
    As you can plainly see, YOLT is a favourite with me (hey that rhymes).
  • Agent LeeAgent Lee Posts: 254MI6 Agent
    Film I like but others dislike:

Tomorrow Never Dies
    It may be a bit too action heavy, but Brosnan turns in a pretty solid sophomore performance and the film is pretty slick and stylish. Very '90's, but in a good way.

Film I dislike but others like:

You Only Live Twice
    I'm not sure I totally DISlike it, but its definitely not one I revisit often. The Little Nellie sequence is fabulous, but the rest of it just kind of falls flat for me. And Connery is way too obviously tired in the role.
    Wish I Was at Disneyland, podcast about Disneyland, Disney news, Disney movies, Star Wars, and life in Southern California.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/wish-i-was-at-disneyland/id1202780413?mt=2
    Another one for me: I greatly prefer NSNA (which I'm clearly aware is heresy here :v ) to OP. No contest whatsoever. I'll quite often take Sir Sean's worst over Sir Roger's best (which for me varies, as I sort through the sometimes dreary options).
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,356Chief of Staff
    I'd disagree on that one, Loeffs. Once the novelty of Sir Sean's return wears off (it was great at the time), there's not much left in NSNA to enjoy that TB hadn't done better 20 years earlier. The "home team" (M, Moneypenny, Q, the Tanner substitute) can't compare to Bernard Lee & co, John Barry knocks Michel Legrand out of the room, etc. I'd say NSNA's Felix is better than TB's, and Fatima Blush is enjoyable.... but that's about it.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    I'd disagree on that one, Loeffs. Once the novelty of Sir Sean's return wears off (it was great at the time), there's not much left in NSNA to enjoy that TB hadn't done better 20 years earlier. The "home team" (M, Moneypenny, Q, the Tanner substitute) can't compare to Bernard Lee & co, John Barry knocks Michel Legrand out of the room, etc. I'd say NSNA's Felix is better than TB's, and Fatima Blush is enjoyable.... but that's about it.

Strangely enough, although I agree with just about every one of your points here, I still find myself in synch with Loeffs. I'd take NSNA over any of Moore's Bond films. I guess you can chalk it up to my steadfast admiration for Connery's portrayal of 007 - even in NSNA he stands head and shoulders above the rest.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent
    Agent Lee wrote:

Tomorrow Never Dies
    It may be a bit too action heavy, but Brosnan turns in a pretty solid sophomore performance and the film is pretty slick and stylish. Very '90's, but in a good way.

I like that TND is action-heavy, love me action-heavy Bond.

Plus the action is just a blast to watch, for me anyway.

Did I nention how much I love the stealth boat battle?
    "Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
    New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
    Bond actors to be re-ranked later
    Strangely enough, although I agree with just about every one of your points here, I still find myself in synch with Loeffs. I'd take NSNA over any of Moore's Bond films. I guess you can chalk it up to my steadfast admiration for Connery's portrayal of 007 - even in NSNA he stands head and shoulders above the rest.

That's about the size of it, BL. And it's doubly interesting to me now that I'm the age Connery was when he did NSNA :# Connery simply did Geezer Bond better than Moore, IMO.
  • MrSwindermanMrSwinderman Dover, Ohio, USAPosts: 212MI6 Agent
    I always enjoy TND and TWINE. They're not super deep by any means; however, they are fun movies to just watch. I enjoy the action in both and think Pierce was really hitting his stride has Bond. As far as the rest of the Bond movies I really enjoy all of them in their own right. I can't say I really dislike any Bond movie other than Never Say Never Again.
    Agent Lee wrote:

Tomorrow Never Dies

I like that TND is action-heavy, love me action-heavy Bond.

Plus the action is just a blast to watch, for me anyway.

Did I nention how much I love the stealth boat battle?

It's still a bit much for me, but I agree that the action itself is pretty much all great. And the dramatic bits (I.e. Bond's confrontation with Paris in his hotel room) are pretty darn good. Also I forgot to mention originally, Eliot Carver is a top-notch villain, super underrated and played brilliantly by Jonathan pryce
    Wish I Was at Disneyland, podcast about Disneyland, Disney news, Disney movies, Star Wars, and life in Southern California.
    Barbel wrote:

I second that. Despite its demerits, Connery's return makes NSNA a pretty darn good time. Moore is a great Bond in his own right, and deserves due credit for making the part his own, but watching OP and NSNA side by side reminds one who really owns the part between the two -{
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,356Chief of Staff
    I agree that Connery beats Moore; I don't think that alone is enough to overcome the rest of NSNA.
    Agent Lee wrote:
    Barbel wrote:

I second that. Despite its demerits, Connery's return makes NSNA a pretty darn good time. Moore is a great Bond in his own right, and deserves due credit for making the part his own, but watching OP and NSNA side by side reminds one who really owns the part between the two -{

I don't share that opinion in NSNA. Despite some of the silly things in OP like the Tarzan yell and gorilla suit, Moore plays Bond more seriously in OP than Connery does in NSNA. Connery's Bond in NSNA is borders on parody of his previous days as Bond and I can't take him seriously at all in it like I can in his first five Bond films.