18 year Macallan in Spectre.

2»

Comments

• IanTIanT Posts: 573MI6 Agent
    Well, as daft as it seems, you have to make yourself like single malts. Start with a relatively inexpensive brand and just keep drinking small amounts of it. When you get past the throat burning and the stomach fire, you'll start appreciating the taste and the sensation of drinking it.

It's difficult to describe, but you're not so much as drinking a good single malt, you're experiencing it.

And whatever you do, don't mix it with anything!!!
  • DB6DB6 EnglandPosts: 1,196MI6 Agent
    RedDawn289 wrote:
    So given that I would like to get into drinking single malts where do I start. I think it's a acquired taste that I haven't acquired as of yet. Keep in mind give my taste isn't acquired price should be put into consideration.

I'm far from an expert but Speyside whisky's are typically 'lighter' (I still don't drink peaty whiskies - just my preference); something like Glenmorangie is a good start point. You may also like Haig Club which has a very smooth and 'accessible' taste (also mentioned in Flemings 'Diamonds are Forever' I think so it's even Bond linked!)

Again, tastes vary; some will have it straight, some with a splash (and I mean a splash) of water and some with a single ice cube. Just don't use any mixers.........
    My name has changed! I’m no longer dufus......now I’m DB6
  • LlafyksLlafyks Posts: 237MI6 Agent
    edited February 2016
    RedDawn289 wrote:
    So given that I would like to get into drinking single malts where do I start. I think it's a acquired taste that I haven't acquired as of yet. Keep in mind give my taste isn't acquired price should be put into consideration.

Go into any good whisky shop and explain your predicament and ask for some advice. They will normally give you a taste of some of their recommendations or they may have a whisky of the month for you to try as well.
    Once you're 'hooked' you can then go onto try the many variations. I'd not start with the Islay heavily peated malts until you've tried some of the others. A good (one of only a few Lowland distilleries) one to try is Auchentoshan -'The Corner of the Field' and they have a few varieties to try. Then Speyside and then some of the other Islands before going Islay.
    A drop of 'spring water' may be required with some of the higher strength malts but I'd not go there as yet.
    Start moderately and if you're unlucky :D you'll be hooked like the rest of us - you thought jackets were expensive! Mind you after a couple of tipples of a quality malt you tend to forget about the more mundane things in life and sit with a nice smile on your face.
  • AKVAKV Posts: 125MI6 Agent
    I found that Loch Lomond was a nice, easy and budget friendly single malt when I first began my foray into the world of whisky. It helps that it's Captain Haddock's favourite whisky too!

Also, Dan Murphy's Australia has the 18 yo Macallan for $192 (approx 95 GBP) at the moment, which represents great value.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    MrZareba wrote:
    Since we're talking about this - please notice that there is an ice container (no idea how to call that huge glass in which you keep ice) on Bond's coffee table in his apartment, which is surprising basing on the fact that Bond was always drinking his whisky neat.
    I was a bit surprised by that as well, Bond doesn't seem like the guy who puts anything in his whiskey to dilute it and he never has in CR,QOS or SF.
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    ...they had one bottle of 18 year old Macallan, believe it or not. Asking price? Something like $3500 I seem to recall.

What?!? :o :o :o

That can't be right. Here in the US I can buy it at my local liquor store for US$255 (CAN$360).

Sorry, getting my Bond brews confused. It was indeed the 30. Regardless, my wife refused to buy it for me for Christmas. Some people!
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent
    MrZareba wrote:
    Since we're talking about this - please notice that there is an ice container (no idea how to call that huge glass in which you keep ice) on Bond's coffee table in his apartment, which is surprising basing on the fact that Bond was always drinking his whisky neat.
    I was a bit surprised by that as well, Bond doesn't seem like the guy who puts anything in his whiskey to dilute it and he never has in CR,QOS or SF.

I honestly didn't remember seeing an ice bucket in the apartment scene until you mentioned it. Since he knew Moneypenny was coming over, maybe he set it out for her (Bond being a gentleman and all). I seem to remember it being gone when he is by himself in the promo shot.