Well, I really could have done without THAT...

Comments

• MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    On watching "North by Northwest" by youngest daughter made plenty of jokes about the " Crappy"
    back projection in the car scenes etc. Did it annoy me ? Yes a little but it doesn't spoil my enjoyment
    of it. I still love the old Hitchcock movies. -{

I can normally handle bad back projection, but DN just annoys me because the scale of the hearse isn't right! How far out can you go?

I do like some of the bad back projection, sort of makes me appreciate stunt doubles more in big stunts and driving scenes because you know for certain the actor isn't really doing the stunt.
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    I've always found that the Back Projection of the Hearse makes it more threatening.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    I also cringe a bit at the back projection in ALL old films, even the most awarded ones, but I have to accept them because that's all they had to work with at the time. Cameras used to be these enormous beasts that could barely be moved so dolly track shots were a lot of labor and time consuming efforts. However, I've noticed over the decades that the more free floating and effortless camera work has become, the more it has become invasive in the shots to where it interferes with my focus on the performances and action. At the same time, I can really appreciate directors and DP's who are at the top of their game and know when and where to use the camera and when to let it stay static and allow the scene to do it's magic. The budgets also have a lot to do with how much can be done with traveling camera work, but I've seen films with restrictive budgets (even student films) come up with amazing visuals only because the director and DP took the time to work out a creative way to flesh them out. The best of them work closely with the editor even during the planning process in order to figure out the best way to
    get the best shots to the screen.

As to the eye rolling scenes in the Bond series, I only do this in the films that were attempting either the clownish humor that was tantamount to a pratfall or a really bad misplaced pun. It's cringe worth factor for me only increased in relation to how serious the script was supposed to be. For example, I could only chuckle at Jaws brushing off his clothes when emerging from what should have been a fatal experience because the whole film itself never rises above the level of one of Roger Moore's wide eyed grinning expressions as he voices a bad pun.

Where I really roll my eyes is when there are scenes that just seem to beg the question.."is this a Bond film or is this just the producers taking the whole thing as a joke and trying to make a lot of money". For example, TMWTGG - car flipping with whistle and having Sheriff Pepper character in the film purely for comic relief. Or, the infamous Tarzan yell, or Brosnan saying "I know how to keep my tip up" in DAD. There are actually so many you could probably do an essay on them.

Now I'm not saying I dislike those films. I take them as they come, but there are those that I consider to be serious Fleming style entries where EON was actually trying to stay closer to the author's character and intent and left the humor dark, fleeting and only in the right moments (as they are doing in the reboot with Craig). Those are my favorites. The others that have the most eye rolling moments for me are the entries where EON is just trying to show the audience a good time and wanting them to leave the theater with a smile.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    Hmmm, maybe I should add GF to my list.... ?:)

Yes, you should. ;)
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    Although Bond being made to look Japanese would probably make some People role there Eyes

This is the only reason YOLT would not make my list of movies without a roll your eyes moment. It's still my most entertaining Bond film, though.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:

Yes, you should. ;)
    You know what? I will. I can't think of an eye-rolling moment... -{
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    Although Bond being made to look Japanese would probably make some People role there Eyes

This is the only reason YOLT would not make my list of movies without a roll your eyes moment. It's still my most entertaining Bond film, though.
    I'm totally okay with the Japanese thing, what I always grimace at is the tv footage of the drop. :s
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

Yes, you should. ;)

Bond slapping Dink's bum?

The "Beatles without earmuffs" makes me cringe, but I'll allow Bond the Beatles comment since at that time they were still almost the equivalent of One Direction and hadn't yet become a very progressive band.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Matt S wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

Yes, you should. ;)

The "Beatles without earmuffs" makes me cringe, but I'll allow Bond the Beatles comment since at that time they were still almost the equivalent of One Direction and hadn't yet become a very progressive band.
    While I might find both moments humerously objectionable, they are not dealbreakers in the sense of "no way, that's ridiculous" or "Yeah, okay, I KNOW this is a move thanks, no need to point it out".
    chrisisall wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

While I might find both moments humerously objectionable, they are not dealbreakers in the sense of "no way, that's ridiculous" or "Yeah, okay, I KNOW this is a move thanks, no need to point it out".

Though different kinds of moments, I have the same reaction to those moments that I do to things like the Tarzan yell. I still think "Well, I really could have done without THAT." The bum slap and "man talk" line fit the "wish something had been done differently, or flat out dislike it" category you mentioned in your original post, just in a slightly different way. I'll take the double-taking pigeon or fish drop over that any day.
    Matt S wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

Though different kinds of moments, I have the same reaction to those moments that I do to things like the Tarzan yell. I still think "Well, I really could have done without THAT." The bum slap and "man talk" line fit the "wish something had been done differently, or flat out dislike it" category you mentioned in your original post, just in a slightly different way. I'll take the double-taking pigeon or fish drop over that any day.
    That's entirely understandable because different things provoke a different reaction in different people! {[]
    For instance, I find the 'salt corrosion' line quite funny, whereas others find it a stupid throwback to the unnecessary dopiness of the Moore tenure.... 8-)
    chrisisall wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

That's entirely understandable because different things provoke a different reaction in different people! {[]
    For instance, I find the 'salt corrosion' line quite funny, whereas others find it a stupid throwback to the unnecessary dopiness of the Moore tenure.... 8-)

I also like the 'salt corrosion' line. Maryam D'Abo's reaction makes it work.
    The 'Salt Corrosion' Line is a classic -{ :007)
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    One other TYOOTM I have with YOLT- Blofeld lets Bond have a cigarette. Now I know it was the Sixties and all, but really! Am I to believe that Blofeld wanted Bond dead, but felt empathy towards his coming nicotine fit?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Most condemned men get a last request, I guess Blofeld full of confidence
    Let Bond have a smoke. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Most condemned men get a last request, I guess Blofeld full of confidence
    Let Bond have a smoke. ;)
    Okay, when you put it that way.... I guess I can buy it. :D
    Like TP said, it was really a last Request for Bond.

Remember, Blofeld said that it would not be the Nicotine that would kill Bond.
    To be honest, Blofeld shows great restraint with Bond. This is their first
    Face to face meeting, If I'd Been Blofeld, my men would have to hold me
    Back from running over and giving him a good kicking. :)) for spoiling
    All my wonderful ideas for extortion. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Regarding there OHMSS Meeting, I've always had a Theory that Blofeld knew it was Bond, but chose not to recognize him. Although Bond would have to be pretty daft not to think Blofeld would know it's him.

But this small Retcon never gets in the Way of the Film being my all Time favorite Bond Outing -{
    Me too, I treat every film as a stand alone story. {[] hey Lex Luther never
    Spotted Superman when he put on a pair of glasses. ;)
    No one ever recognizes me when I put on my 'don't talk to me' face. It's all in how one holds one's self.
    (cue dirty joke)
    Maybe because you're " Holding yourself" that people want to give you
    a little privacy ? :))
    Typical. :))
  • PeppermillPeppermill DelftPosts: 2,860MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:

Yes, you should. ;)

Funny, I think Bond straight-raping Pussy in the barn is one of the worst Bond scenes ever.
    1. Ohmss 2. Frwl 3. Op 4. Tswlm 5. Tld 6. Ge 7. Yolt 8. Lald 9. Cr 10. Ltk 11. Dn 12. Gf 13. Qos 14. Mr 15. Tmwtgg 16. Fyeo 17. Twine 18. Sf 19. Tb 20 Tnd 21. Spectre 22 Daf 23. Avtak 24. Dad
    Peppermill wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

Yes, you should. ;)

Funny, I think Bond straight-raping Pussy in the barn is one of the worst Bond scenes ever.
    Am I remembering it wrong? Didn't she begin with "You've asked for this." ? :v
    Pussy Galore had some Domination over Bond compared to Honeychile Rider or Tatiana.
    My revised list:
    DN
    FRWL
    GF
    TLD
    LTK
    TWINE
    Peppermill wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

Yes, you should. ;)

I didn't see it that way, although admittedly Bond was overly aggressive with her. And to be honest, I could have done without that, just as I can do without the butt slap/man talk nonsense. But those moments aren't enough to spoil GF for me, just as the "fetch my shoes" bit in DN is cringe-inducing but doesn't ruin the movie.
    I didn't see it that way, although admittedly Bond was overly aggressive with her. And to be honest, I could have done without that, just as I can do without the butt slap/man talk nonsense. But those moments aren't enough to spoil GF for me, just as the "fetch my shoes" bit in DN is cringe-inducing but doesn't ruin the movie.
    Agreed, however, given the circumstances (Bond a prisoner of the compound, armed guards all about) it seems like he was pushing for all he could get (both sexually & strategically). I have no severe problem with it.
    And it helped in smashing Goldfingers Plan.