Golfing with Goldfinger: Golf Equipment.

Ok, so I know it's possibly one of the most famous scenes in movie history. That match between Sean Connery's Bond and Gert Frobe's Goldfinger, and as such may have been discussed rather thoroughly. I don't want to continue beating a dead horse, but I find so much inspiration from that scene, and the entire movie as well, I wanted to start a discussion on this scene. More specifically, the equipment that Bond and Goldfinger used.

Yes, I'm sure we all know Bond pitched his Penfold Hearts against Goldfinger's Slazenger 1, and that Bond wore a Slazenger V-neck. We even know that Goldfinger wore a Brooks Brother's flat cap and used an Acushnet Bullseye putter. But what of Bond's seemingly unique set of golf clubs? Or of Goldfinger's clubs? Or even of Bond's Kilty derbies and red and white glove?

My goal here is to identify these lesser known bits of golf equipment, and apparel, from such an iconic scene in cinema history. And perhaps start a collection myself.

To start off, Bond's clubs. They seem to have a unique black and white spiral grips, and the drivers' heads appear to be painted black. In the books Bond used a Calamity Jane putter and considered buying Henry Cotton irons in Moonraker. I'm not sure what the Henry Cotton irons looks like, but Bond's putter in Goldfinger certainly isn't a Calamity Jane. Any thoughts?

GFDriver.jpg
GFDriver2.jpg
GFIron.jpg

GFPutter.jpg

Comments

• thespyboys11thespyboys11 Lindenwold,NJPosts: 1,845MI6 Agent
    Goldfinger's golf club was a Slazenger Eaglet. Positively ID's by our own Sid from Australia.
  • qbviqbvi AustraliaPosts: 254MI6 Agent
    Goldfinger's golf club was a Slazenger Eaglet. Positively ID's by our own Sid from Australia.

Thanks Ed

BTW Goldfinger's golf ball was a Slazenger 279 model, with numbers #1 and #7 used for the cheating scenes.

During 1964 when the movie was made, golf balls were made in the 1:62 British size as per the Royal St Andrew's rules which is a smaller ball than the 1:68 USGA American rules sized ball.

As far as I could gather, Bond's Penfold was a British size and all the Slazenger 279's I have seen with the markings as seen in the film are in the larger American size.

I guess the egomaniac that Goldfinger is, he had to have the bigger balls !!!!
    A Whisper of Love, A Whisper of Hate
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    You may have a lot of difficulty nailing down Connery's clubs. He may have even been using his own clubs, since in those early days they would never have thought that anyone would care or notice. The names of the balls were only mentioned because they were a crucial plot point. I don't have Henry Cotton irons but my father gave me some Henry Cotton woods that I cherish and even play with.
  • thespyboys11thespyboys11 Lindenwold,NJPosts: 1,845MI6 Agent
    qbvi wrote:
    I guess the egomaniac that Goldfinger is, he had to have the bigger balls !!!!

GOOD ONE, SID!!!! :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))
  • Bond Collectors' WeekendsBond Collectors' Weekends Gainesville, Florida USAPosts: 1,884MI6 Agent
    I'd heard Connery learned golf for Goldfinger, but found some photos dated on the web with him playing in '62. Anyone know for sure?
    Seven (007) James Bond Tours! Mission: Mexico!
  • qbviqbvi AustraliaPosts: 254MI6 Agent
    Not sure about '62. I heard after Goldfinger, golf became a lifelong pastime. Perhaps reading his biographies may shed light on your question.

I have tried to ID Bond's putter but the exact model is elusive for now.
    A Whisper of Love, A Whisper of Hate
  • BroccoliBroccoli Posts: 253MI6 Agent
    I believe this is the correct wood from goldfinger?

Screen_Shot_2017_01_01_at_10_28_29_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2017_01_01_at_10_38_06_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2017_01_01_at_10_28_46_AM.png
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    edited January 2017
    It's not, your club is very different. The screen used one has brass surrounding the centre aluminium strip on the face, which is also narrower than the one you have. The aluminium also doesn't run onto the crown on the screen used one, which is obvious if you'd have shown that upper side of the crown and compared it to the screen shots. As it is, even though you've only photographed the underside of your clubs, your one picture shows this. The crown should be completely black with no facing material running into it.

Screen_Shot_2017_01_01_at_10_28_46_AM_zpsmvilcoxy.png

GFIron.jpg
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............