The 60s Bond Rivals (2): Harry Palmer

13»

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 30,802Chief of Staff
    Of the two later ones, "Bullet" is the better IMHO.

In "Funeral", none of the scenes were shot in the east.

Other Bond crew members who worked on "Funeral" include Peter Murton and Ben Rayner- and Harry Saltzman!
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 4,055MI6 Agent
    Harry Palmer is back:

Peaky Blinders star Joe Cole will take on the iconic role of Harry Palmer, first played by Michael Caine, in ITV’s new adaptation of the classic Len Deighton spy novel, The Ipcress File.

He’ll be joined by Bohemian Rhapsody star Lucy Boynton and Us star Tom Hollander in the planned six-part series which has been written by Trainspotting scriptwriter John Hodge and will be directed by Emmy Award-winner James Watkins (McMafia, Black Mirror, The Woman In Black).

https://deadline.com/2020/12/itv-the-ipcress-file-john-hodge-joe-cole-lucy-boynton-tom-hollander-1234653664/

Eo5VpAcUwAA15XE?format=jpg&name=small

It all sounds rather decent, I'm very glad to hear they're doing this.
    I can't wait!!!
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 1,000MI6 Agent
    I can.....
    Barbel wrote:
    I can't wait!!!

Yes it sounds pretty good, and I like the casting.

It doesn’t sound hugely faithful to the novel, but I guess the movie wasn’t either! :)
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 2,186MI6 Agent
    I'm not a big fan of remakes in general, in this case I'd really rather the originals were just easier to find on dvd.
    I don't think think that the first attempt at an adaptation is automatically the best there can ever be.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 9,027MI6 Agent
    Without getting involved in spoilers, I'd say the book of The Ipcress File is pretty different to the film. In fact, the book's plot popped up in an episode of The Avengers - the 60s cult series - one with Christopher Lee in. That said the book does the whole grammar school kid or thereabouts up against the whole public school gang and frankly who is to say it's not kind of like that now.
    The book has more exotic events in it than the film.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    The book has more exotic events in it than the film.

Yes indeed, this one at least will be set outside of the UK in part, unlike the film version.
    I missed it last week but we got our first look at the new Harry as they've been filming in Liverpool. He's kept his glasses on!

NINTCHDBPICT000635741565.jpg?strip=all&w=715
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 2,909Quartermasters
    I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I'm struck by how boyish Joe Cole looks compared to Michael Caine in the film, despite the fact that both actors were roughly the same age at the time of playing the part. Cole looks early 20s to me in the pictures I've seen.
    Seriously looking forward to seeing this. I hope it's a success and they then do a version of Len Deighton's next book, "Horse Under Water", since that has never been filmed.
    Golrush007 wrote:
    I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I'm struck by how boyish Joe Cole looks compared to Michael Caine in the film, despite the fact that both actors were roughly the same age at the time of playing the part.

I think they're actually exactly the same age! :)

But it's fine he seems young to me, I got the impression from the first movie that Harry wasn't all that old anyway. He'd been through the army, was a bachelor and was joining MI5 pretty much as a recruit. He was wise to the world and mature, but not necessarily old.