John Glen, why did he do so many?

2»

Comments

• superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    superado wrote:
    The most obvious difference of course was the relative absence of gadgets in those 2 movies, of which FYEO was the grittier one, lacking some of the Bond glam that was retained in OHMSS. I remember as a kid watching on tv with my dad what I think was a Harry Palmer movie and the realism of FYEO reminds me of the same grit and feel.

Interesting how you call FYEO the grittier one. I would say OHMSS is, due to the FYEO's lighter score, silly PTS and silly ski chase, but I can see your side of it too. I think both films are some of the best-balanced of the series between grit, levity and just about all other aspects.

Yes, I too understand what you've highlighted. To me, though, those elements are just add-ons, perhaps wrong decisions :)) , but the overall feel is still one of seriousness. As much as I liked Lazenby's "idealized" portrayal of JB, much of it comes off as caricature that maintains the fantasy aura of the movie, like it was a romp despite it being relatively more serious.

Another example of misplaced elements in a serious Bond movie, is the gadget-laden AM in TLD among other little things, which I think are inconsistent with that film's overall feel due to it's leading man despite it undergoing early development as a Roger Moore Bond.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    superado wrote:
    The most obvious difference of course was the relative absence of gadgets in those 2 movies, of which FYEO was the grittier one, lacking some of the Bond glam that was retained in OHMSS. I remember as a kid watching on tv with my dad what I think was a Harry Palmer movie and the realism of FYEO reminds me of the same grit and feel.

Interesting how you call FYEO the grittier one. I would say OHMSS is, due to the FYEO's lighter score, silly PTS and silly ski chase, but I can see your side of it too. I think both films are some of the best-balanced of the series between grit, levity and just about all other aspects.

Yes, I too understand what you've highlighted. To me, though, those elements are just add-ons, perhaps wrong decisions :)) , but the overall feel is still one of seriousness. As much as I liked Lazenby's "idealized" portrayal of JB, much of it comes off as caricature that maintains the fantasy aura of the movie, like it was a romp despite it being relatively more serious.

Another example of misplaced elements in a serious Bond movie, is the gadget-laden AM in TLD among other little things, which I think are inconsistent with that film's overall feel due to it's leading man despite it undergoing early development as a Roger Moore Bond.

I agree with all. Moore's realistic and human portrayal of Bond in that film helps the grittiness. Moore's portrayal of Bond in FYEO is my favourite of any Bond film because of how real a person he seems. He may not be Fleming's Bond, but in FYEO Bond seems like he could be a real person. The character is written in a well-rounded way, and everything just comes so naturally to Moore.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    superado wrote:

I just don't get the FYEO gritty thing at all. The above mentioned silliness is so bad it just undermines everything else for me. In OHMSS we get a fit, tough looking Bond and the most significant emotional scene in the whole series.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    zaphod99 wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    superado wrote:

I just don't get the FYEO gritty thing at all. The above mentioned silliness is so bad it just undermines everything else for me. In OHMSS we get a fit, tough looking Bond and the most significant emotional scene in the whole series.

You should have prefaced your post with "Is it just me... " :))
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....