SPECTRE reviews - *SPOILERS*

Comments

• The Wicker ManThe Wicker Man EnglandPosts: 434MI6 Agent
    Anybody else not blown away by Spectre?

I thought it was a good bond film with some solid moments but I wasn't wowed by it, last movie that I was in awe of was Interstellar.

I find that interesting as I'm completely the other way round: underwhelmed with Interstellar but loved Spectre. I would be delighted for C Nolan to direct a Bond one day even though the only film of his I really like is Inception.
    Opinions eh? Would be a boring world if we all agreed all of the time.
    Btw did anyone catch Hinx's final words? I missed what he said before he departed the train.

He said S**T.
    1.ohmss 2.cr 3.frwl 4.ltk 5.gf 6.tswlm 7.sf 8.op 9.tld 10.dn 11.lald 12.tb 13.fyeo 14.ge 15.mr 16.yolt 17.tnd 18.avtak 19.sp 20.twine 21.qos 22.tmwtgg 23.daf 24.dad
  • I never missI never miss EnglandPosts: 47MI6 Agent
    He did?! Thanks - I'll make sure I listen carefully on my next viewing.
    Makes sense why people in the cinema were laughing at his last line now :D
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    I thought he said "shoot"? :))
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
    I am pretty certain he said s**t. I know that is what I would have said.
    I find it pretty funny that that is the only word he says in the entire film. Brilliant. :))
    1.ohmss 2.cr 3.frwl 4.ltk 5.gf 6.tswlm 7.sf 8.op 9.tld 10.dn 11.lald 12.tb 13.fyeo 14.ge 15.mr 16.yolt 17.tnd 18.avtak 19.sp 20.twine 21.qos 22.tmwtgg 23.daf 24.dad
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I agree it was a funny line, but part of me wishes he'd said nothing, and had been a silent killer. :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I agree it was a funny line, but part of me wishes he'd said nothing, and had been a silent killer. :)

That would have been great as well TP. -{
    He was certainly a scary dude.
  • GrazmeisterGrazmeister Posts: 34MI6 Agent
    However, it could be a genius ending if the following happens in the Bond 25 Pre-title sequence:

Bond 25 opens a few months after the events of SPECTRE with Bond and Madeleine Swann marrying (you know where this is going don’t you?!). They drive off to start a new life together, a few miles down the road their car is ambushed and Madeleine is killed. Bond is injured but makes out Blofeld and an unknown woman driving away. Cue credits.

In closing I’d just like to say that I absolutely adore SPECTRE, it currently sits at number 3 in my list of Bond films in order of preference. Time will tell whether it stays there but one thing is for sure, James Bond Will Return.

Ploughing through all the reviews and comments on this thread I have to say I absolutely love this idea. I know it probably upsets the many OHMSS fans but I would love to see Craig doing this sequence and I think it would set up an awesome Bond movie.
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    I watched it again tonight - and now I feel bad for all the stuff I've said about it!

This really does prove that the people around you really affect your experience - I was surrounded by the worst people you could want in a cinema last week! This time it was empty!

So anyway, onto my second actual review of it. My opinion has gone from 'eh ok' to 'yeah, it's a good film'. I'm not saying it's the best Bond film ever made, but it's like TWINE or TND. Look past it's problems, and you've got something good. And, tbh, it wasn't any of the big action sequences (the plane scene and the car chase) that made me like this film. The cinematography, the excellent PTS, the excellent finale in Lomdon and some of Q's lines are what really made this film for me. Whereas on first viewing some of the lines fell flat for me, but this time as I was in a better mood I was actually smiling at most of the lines in the film. I'd also like to point out last time I missed nearly all of the London finale (I was feeling sick and cineworld decided one cubicle in the toilets was good enough), so most of that stuff was new to me, and I can say that the finale really was good. It wasn't anything spectacular, but it was impressive and I did enjoy it. Waltz's Blofeld I think will definitely go on to be iconic, he wasn't s good as Silva but it was clear his character was only benign et up in SPECTRE, rather than fully developed. As is said, the PTS is excellent and it is easily my favourite part of the film, along with the train fight. However, there wasn't anything (besides the PTS) that made me go 'wow', I felt that maybe the actions as overlooked for more story developing scenes, which I am starting to like in these films.

Overall, I came out of this film feeling how I do when I watch the Brosnan (besides GE) films; if you watch it in a bad mood or thinking too much about the films problems, you're not going to have a fun time. But watching it for a second time, without thinking about the problems and just enjoying what's being thrown at you, and you're going to have a very enjoyable time (the 2.5 hours flew by).

Overall, solid Bond film, and a lot of fun - just goes to show you shouldn't watch a Bond film in a cinema crowded with annoying inconsiderate people!

8/10
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
  • JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    I quite enjoyed this review, despite the huge spoiler:

"As expected in most modern movies there was swearing, but also blasphemy—using the precious name of Jesus Christ as a curse word is not on for a Christian; we shouldn’t be endorsing films that promote that degrading use. We can’t sing “there is power in the name of Jesus” then go on to watch a film that uses his name to express shock or disgust."

http://christiananswers.net/spotlight/movies/2015/spectre2015.html
  • JamesBondRadio.comJamesBondRadio.com Posts: 34MI6 Agent
    30 Days of SPECTRE Day 4

Ralph Fiennes, Ralph Fiennes, Ralph Fiennes! Is there any finer actor for Judi Dench to pass the M torch to than that? We wager that there is not.

We had a brief glimpse at the end of Skyfall but SPECTRE is the first time we get to see the new M in all his glory.

We talk through all the M scenes from SPECTRE, ponder on the Gareth Mallory character in comparison to Sir Miles, as played by Bernard Lee and speculate on just how long we might see Ralph dishing out 007’s orders.

Watch/Listen here:

http://jamesbondradio.com/30-days-of-spectre-004-m/
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    Some have queried whether Spectre needed to be introduced in this film, just because they've got the rights, and should they have waited longer, esp as this may be Craig's last.

However, though I liked the film a lot, it has to be said that if this movie did not feature the titular terrorists and notorious head honcho... it would be a mediocre adventure on its own terms. I know that's like saying if my aunt had a c*** she'd be my uncle, but still. Without Spectre as the villains, it would be Bond just going through the motions really.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Some have queried whether Spectre needed to be introduced in this film, just because they've got the rights, and should they have waited longer, esp as this may be Craig's last.

However, though I liked the film a lot, it has to be said that if this movie did not feature the titular terrorists and notorious head honcho... it would be a mediocre adventure on its own terms. I know that's like saying if my aunt had a c*** she'd be my uncle, but still. Without Spectre as the villains, it would be Bond just going through the motions really.

I wondered what all the fuss and big deal was about, most moviegoers (as opposed to us fanatics) would probably only dimly recall Spectre or Blofeld and in truth it matters little in narrative terms as it makes no difference. Blofeld is persecuting Bond because his father liked Bond more, nothing else. It seems that Bond himself only dimly recollected Oberhauser so the whole premise is weak to say the very least. I had to 'let it go, let it go' and enjoy the ride which was great, but it is a Castle built on sand.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    If I were to guess (and I largely am), I'd say Blofeld's work isn't finished :v
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Absolutely -{ First he has to track down whomever stole all his socks ! :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Absolutely -{ First he has to track down whomever stole all his socks ! :)

:)) I heard about the sockless look!
    So sorry, :# It's just with the spoiler heading it would be OK. I keep
    Forgetting it hasn't crossed the pond yet.
    No worries. I wouldn't look here if I were bothered {[]

32 hours to go for me :007)
  • JigenJigen Posts: 76MI6 Agent
    Overall I was a bit let down by Spectre. I think the first half of the movie is amazing, especially the PTS, Rome and Austria. Also Mr Hinx is quite impressive and the train fight breathtaking. What I didn't like was the final 30-45 minutes which were an anti-climax, the movie length and I'm afraid I wasn't really impressed by Christoph Waltz's performance. Hopefully it was just an introduction to his character and it will developed a lot more in the next movie. Also, I think the plot was a bit weak and the movie ended up being a collection of Bond moments (which I still very much enjoyed but was hoping for a solid storyline too). Out of the Craig's era movies, to me Spectre comes 3rd, after CR and Skyfall.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Ok, to avoid spoilers, I did not read here, so please forgive me if some points have been already mentioned.

Yesterday, I saw Spectre on the first day in Germany
    I left the cinema with mixed feelings.

First of all the projection was not sharp and pretty dull (not sure if that’s done with a purpose the dullness)
    I liked the first half - the second not so much

Lea was sensational imo, but the love scene in the train was crap and where where all the people on the train??
    That being said, Craig makes me (with one exception Caterina Murinho) cringe with love scenes.
    The piece in the train was wooden and simply awful! He tries to give the "animalism" thing but totally fails imo. Terrible!

All in all, I am sick and tired of all the attempts to elaborate Bond’s past and his motives - they should just move on and give him a mission.

But I agree that from the ending one could get the impression that Craig is leaving for good - but maybe that’s their way to make a cliffhanger and keep the audience tense.

The PTS is really good (how did they do the first minutes without a cut!!!) but I am not sure what is more painful - watching the torture or hearing Smith’s falsetto.

The Morocco set felt a bit uninspired and I was not too overwhelmed with Waltz's performance.

All in all the movie is much better than SF imo but I prefer CR on every day of the year.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,324Chief of Staff
    A SPECTRE review from Higgins, eh? Who'd have thought he wanted to do one?
    Always ready to set a benchmark :D :D

• ppw3o6rppw3o6r Great BritainPosts: 2,271MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:

TIME TO CLOSE IT THEN? :))
    :)) :)) :))

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,324Chief of Staff
    ppw3o6r wrote:
    Barbel wrote:

TIME TO CLOSE IT THEN? :))

:)) :)) :)) No, just the 4.5m others he started!
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    They were all rubbish. This one is no different. Just longer.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    Barbel wrote:

:)) :)) :)) No, just the 4.5m others he started!

I am thinking about a "My Spectre Reviews revisited" week :v

• HoldenHolden UKPosts: 664MI6 Agent
    Perhaps you could be brought in to perform any future 'love' scenes, H?.....but, you're not allowed to take your trainers off :D :p
    Hey, in my preparations for my role in TND, I have read all Fleming Novels and did not have misty eyes in the final movie.

That's how well I am preparing my movie work!

• zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    I thought he said "shoot"? :))

I must be way off base as I thought that he looked, saw what Bond had done and in a tone of admiration said 'cute'. 'Pay attention 00 Zaphod'
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • sniperUKsniperUK UlsterPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    Start to finish
    Gunbarrel ,good.

PTS good up to helicopter

Helicopter, standard Bo105 display as seen numerous times live as flown by German army and Red Bull team at airshows, nothing new and why the feck in a flying helicopter would you keep trying beat the head of the pilot, easy way to kill yourself :s

Titles , good, main theme background good ,someone please gag Sam Smith

Up to Italy OK.

Funeral and Monica good.

SPECTRE meeting well filmed , but now two much Austin Powers, "Luke I Am Your Father" oh sorry brother .
    Car chase ,nice cars, no real excitement.

Austria , probably the best bit in the film, very OHMSS, chase good .

Generic middle east country ,filler.

Train journey, as noted empty train and why get dressed up for dinner when you are the only people on the train.

Fight ,good and gave me the biggest laugh of the whole thing with the Jaws referance.

SPECTRE base in the crater , why?

Torture scene , Pussy galore :# torture , Marathon Man is the way to do this, Waltz not at all threatening.

Escape, a dozen rounds or so fired, massive explosion, just about the same as QoS.

London , ok but the scar FFS 8-) MI6 HQ not bad but no real excitement.

Thames chase, has been done better, and as for shooting down a chopper with a PPK grow the feck up , at least a MANPAD or something could have been used . Not killing Dr Evil ? I could hear Scott Evil shouting in the background.

Overall soundtrack, can't remember a note of it.

Yes one of my least favourite bond movies, bottom five.