SPECTRE Oddities & Miscellaneous Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

124

Comments

  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,696MI6 Agent
    One little bit of business, I loved in Spectre. Is in the scene with
    Tanner and Bond getting off the Boat. Tanner goes on like an old
    woman, saying how slippery the dock is and for Bond to watch his
    footing etc.
    While Bond simply skips off the Boat and walks on. -{ A lovely
    Little scene played to put a smile on your face. Excently played by
    Two talented actors. :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BIG TAMBIG TAM Wrexham, North Wales, UK.Posts: 768MI6 Agent
    One little bit of business, I loved in Spectre. Is in the scene with
    Tanner and Bond getting off the Boat. Tanner goes on like an old
    woman, saying how slippery the dock is and for Bond to watch his
    footing etc.
    While Bond simply skips off the Boat and walks on. -{ A lovely
    Little scene played to put a smile on your face. Excently played by
    Two talented actors. :)

    I noticed that too. Daniel Craig's at those sort of self-confident nonchalant actions.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 9,027MI6 Agent
    This may have been mentioned, but at L'Americain, Craig is wearing his Sunspel Casino Royale outfit, which works as it is about to flashback to Vesper a bit, plus he punches his way thru the wall like he does in the opening chase scene. Still, who would do that, you'd pick up an instrument rather than bashing your knuckles away.

    The opener recalls the FYEO pts, with Bond hanging on a runaway copter, but then so does the climactic scene, which reverses the roles: Blofeld trapped in a runaway copter as it passes the Houses of Parliament, disabled by Bond below, banging the palm of his hand on the panel to try to escape or something. Only got that second time round.

    Saw it at the BFI Imax, back row, best seats in the house and a lot better than Odeon L Square! Fantastic, and the print in the pts first scenes did not seem so overexposed.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

    Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • DaltonFan1DaltonFan1 The West of IrelandPosts: 503MI6 Agent
    After many years of loving the Bond films, I've just realised that SPECTRE is an anagram of "respect".
    Has anybody else noticed this in the past half a century?
    “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves.” - Carl Jung
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,043MI6 Agent
    Respect them? No way.
    :D
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.GF 5.DN/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT
  • JellyfishJellyfish EnglandPosts: 347MI6 Agent
    I watched Lara Craft: Tomb Raider last night, and at one point, the baddie says to Daniel Craig "tempus fugit". Inspiration for the script of SPECTRE, perhaps?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,696MI6 Agent
    I'd say for throwing a watch, it's a pretty obvious witty line. Bond has
    Used in the past " Once more unto the breach " although I don't think
    Will Shakespeare got a screen credit. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • UNCLE27UNCLE27 EnglandPosts: 1,093MI6 Agent
    Having just watched the DVD, this occurred to me and I thought I'd share it with those of you who don't know London...

    In the final scene where Bond drives away down Whitehall, he is parked outside the same building he stands on top of in the (almost) final scene of Skyfall.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,522MI6 Agent
    UNCLE27 wrote:
    Having just watched the DVD, this occurred to me and I thought I'd share it with those of you who don't know London...

    In the final scene where Bond drives away down Whitehall, he is parked outside the same building he stands on top of in the (almost) final scene of Skyfall.

    And this was the same building used for Bond's HQ in OP, AVTAK and LTK.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • UNCLE27UNCLE27 EnglandPosts: 1,093MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    UNCLE27 wrote:
    Having just watched the DVD, this occurred to me and I thought I'd share it with those of you who don't know London...

    In the final scene where Bond drives away down Whitehall, he is parked outside the same building he stands on top of in the (almost) final scene of Skyfall.

    And this was the same building used for Bond's HQ in OP, AVTAK and LTK.

    Not quite Matt. The building you're thinking of is the one in shot with the domed turrets. That's the Old War Office Building, which was a Ministry of Defence Building. I know this as I've worked there. This was the building pictured as MI6 in the films you've mentioned.
    The building I'm talking about is next door (towards Trafalgar Square). It's another Government Department building.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,522MI6 Agent
    UNCLE27 wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    UNCLE27 wrote:
    Having just watched the DVD, this occurred to me and I thought I'd share it with those of you who don't know London...

    In the final scene where Bond drives away down Whitehall, he is parked outside the same building he stands on top of in the (almost) final scene of Skyfall.

    And this was the same building used for Bond's HQ in OP, AVTAK and LTK.

    Not quite Matt. The building you're thinking of is the one in shot with the domed turrets. That's the Old War Office Building, which was a Ministry of Defence Building. I know this as I've worked there.
    The building I'm talking about is next door (towards Trafalgar Square).

    It really looked like he was parked outside of the Old War Office at the end of SP. Perhaps I was wrong. I'll look at the film again.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,685MI6 Agent
    I want to know how we went from these sprawling, incredibly visually interesting sets in the classic Bond films:

    bond_goldfinger_2255938c.jpg

    Diamonds_are_Forever.jpg

    to these bland, minimalist incarnations in the more recent films:

    SPECTRE_007_Bond_007_1.jpg

    spectre_meteorite.jpg
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 30,802Chief of Staff
    Because there's only one Ken Adam?
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,685MI6 Agent
    I'd accept that as an answer, but, man, isn't there somebody in the film industry with any vision?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,696MI6 Agent
    I remember an interview with Peter Lamont way back after Moonraker. In which
    He said after Moonraker Cubby told him not to expect such big ideas for sets
    anymore, as they were going to be more realistic.
    I did enjoy the " Cellars" set in SF for the new MI6, and the abandoned island.
    In Spectre I enjoyed the starkness of The torture room ( nothing for Bond to focus
    on to try and endure the pain), I also thought the control/information room, very good.
    Sadly, due to costs I expect, we'll have no more big futuristic sets. Unless they can
    Use some of the modern designed buildings ( such as the clinic in SP) although I also
    Agree. There's only one Ken Adam. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,685MI6 Agent
    I remember an interview with Peter Lamont way back after Moonraker. In which
    He said after Moonraker Cubby told him not to expect such big ideas for sets
    anymore, as they were going to be more realistic.
    I did enjoy the " Cellars" set in SF for the new MI6, and the abandoned island.
    In Spectre I enjoyed the starkness of The torture room ( nothing for Bond to focus
    on to try and endure the pain), I also thought the control/information room, very good.
    Sadly, due to costs I expect, we'll have no more big futuristic sets. Unless they can
    Use some of the modern designed buildings ( such as the clinic in SP) although I also
    Agree. There's only one Ken Adam. -{
    It's funny because I like minimalism on TV -- the old Twilight Zone and Star Trek series, for instance, often used minimalism to their advantage. So did The Prisoner and The Avengers. But movies need to be bigger. They have so much more time to make them, and they have so much more room onscreen to show us things.

    Of course, the TV shows I reference used lighting very effectively (and later color) and had directors who seemed to know how to position cameras to take full effect of the minimalism. I find a lot in the contemporary films just bland. It's so weird, too, to sometimes see still shots and even the props and so forth in real life and notice so much detail that never shows up with the movie camera, which makes me think the set designers and directors waste a lot of time on meaningless micro-details without instead considering the full scope of what the audience will see.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,039MI6 Agent
    Did anyone notice at the end credits of SPECTRE, Maria Grazia Cuccinotta was mentioned - the Cigar Girl from TWINE? Anyone have any idea why? ?:)
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,685MI6 Agent
    The IMDB, not a particularly reliable source, just says she was thanked. I do notice a lot of Italian names in the credits, so maybe she translated or acted as a resource. It's also possible that she could have been a stand in for some of the actors, worked with dialogue, or been heard in some way in the background of a scene. A lot of movie people contribute behind the scenes, though the credits are usually more specific than just a thank you note.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,522MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    The IMDB, not a particularly reliable source, just says she was thanked. I do notice a lot of Italian names in the credits, so maybe she translated or acted as a resource. It's also possible that she could have been a stand in for some of the actors, worked with dialogue, or been heard in some way in the background of a scene. A lot of movie people contribute behind the scenes, though the credits are usually more specific than just a thank you note.

    There was a charity auction for a Rome set tour given by her.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,685MI6 Agent
    Ah, excellent -- thanks for solving that mystery.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,522MI6 Agent
    UNCLE27 wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    UNCLE27 wrote:
    Having just watched the DVD, this occurred to me and I thought I'd share it with those of you who don't know London...

    In the final scene where Bond drives away down Whitehall, he is parked outside the same building he stands on top of in the (almost) final scene of Skyfall.

    And this was the same building used for Bond's HQ in OP, AVTAK and LTK.

    Not quite Matt. The building you're thinking of is the one in shot with the domed turrets. That's the Old War Office Building, which was a Ministry of Defence Building. I know this as I've worked there. This was the building pictured as MI6 in the films you've mentioned.
    The building I'm talking about is next door (towards Trafalgar Square). It's another Government Department building.

    I just checked the film and I see you are right about the DB5 not being parked outside the Old War Office. When the car drives away it goes past the Old War Office, and that's the first building I see. I think the perspective of the shot threw me off.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,039MI6 Agent
    Gassy Man wrote:
    Ah, excellent -- thanks for solving that mystery.

    +1 - thanks, Matt -{
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Revs1972Revs1972 Posts: 68MI6 Agent
    Sadly, due to costs I expect, we'll have no more big futuristic sets. Unless they can
    Use some of the modern designed buildings ( such as the clinic in SP) although I also
    Agree. There's only one Ken Adam.

    Did you know that the interior of the Clinic was a set at Pinewood ?
  • Revs1972Revs1972 Posts: 68MI6 Agent
    I don't know if this has been done before....apologies if it has

    One thing that has bugged me is the time era of the film.
    I had to wait until I had the DVD to pause things , but now I have , I am convinced they have made an error.
    Now bear with me on this.......

    Bond was adopted , aged 12 on 21/01/1983 which makes his birth year as 1971.
    He spent 2 years living with the Oberhausers learning how to ski, hunt etc
    Oberhauser was age 14 when his father died and he went missing and Bond was his younger "brother" ( but not by much from those dates )
    Therefore, with Spectres events taking place 20 years later (mentioned twice in the film) this makes them around 34 years old.
    Thus, if you follow the timeline , would make it 2004 .
    However , several vehicles registrations can be read including the following
    WD06 CCY M's Jag
    LT09 CNF - Black crew cab pickup that smashes into M's jag
    YT12 DFZ - Black truck they take Bond away in

    Thus I conclude that they should have said 30 years and not 20 which would have put the film as 2014.
    Do I win the Internet ? :))
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 1,946MI6 Agent
    They say Oberhauser's father died 20 years ago, but where do they say Oberhauser was 14 when that happened?

    On the subject of Bond's age, they've aged him down from Casino Royale, when docs and such had his birth year as 1968 :))
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 6,711MI6 Agent
    Revs1972 wrote:
    I don't know if this has been done before....apologies if it has

    One thing that has bugged me is the time era of the film.
    I had to wait until I had the DVD to pause things , but now I have , I am convinced they have made an error.
    Now bear with me on this.......

    Bond was adopted , aged 12 on 21/01/1983 which makes his birth year as 1971.
    He spent 2 years living with the Oberhausers learning how to ski, hunt etc
    Oberhauser was age 14 when his father died and he went missing and Bond was his younger "brother" ( but not by much from those dates )
    Therefore, with Spectres events taking place 20 years later (mentioned twice in the film) this makes them around 34 years old.
    Thus, if you follow the timeline , would make it 2004 .
    However , several vehicles registrations can be read including the following
    WD06 CCY M's Jag
    LT09 CNF - Black crew cab pickup that smashes into M's jag
    YT12 DFZ - Black truck they take Bond away in

    Thus I conclude that they should have said 30 years and not 20 which would have put the film as 2014.
    Do I win the Internet ? :))

    You're observations are flawed because all they say is that Oberhauser died 20 years ago. I don't recall any mention the age of Bond or Franz at that exact time. Bond had left the Oberhausers at the time of his death.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Revs1972Revs1972 Posts: 68MI6 Agent
    I am happy to be corrected, I looked at it again on the MacBook Screen this morning and can see it is 1981 on the Temporary Guardianship paper , so age 12 years that ties up with his 1968 birth date. My apologies , but I was watching on an old 37 inch plasma before ;%
    However, when Moneypenny translates the newspaper article regarding Oberhausers death on her computer screen, if you look down at the bottom left and it gives the age of Oberhausers missing son as 14* .I assume this is relating to Franz ( although I guess you could say don't believe everything the papers tell you :007) )

    * that is the figure I can read



    For your reference , the Temporary Guardianship paper scene is at 0:21:30
    Having just looked again it may be 1981 which would roughly tie up with
    And the newspaper article at 0:48:52 ( paused it the second it is translated)
    It may say age 16 - it's not razor sharp and I've not had my first cup of Earl Grey today
    ( well on my DVD it is anyway)
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,696MI6 Agent
    In Spectre, when Dr Swann lowers the blinds in her office. This is an obvious Homage
    To the TSWLM, when Stromberg raises all his paintings to reveal his windows. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    Discuss...

    image.jpg


    image.jpg
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 30,802Chief of Staff
    Wow, now this I had NOT spotted. Well observed!

    So... this links the two movies then?

    See also:
    http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/39820/stolen-amedeo-modigliani-painting-in-skyfall/
Sign In or Register to comment.