Spectre - what next? ***SPOILERS***

Comments

• down2000down2000 Santa Monica, CAPosts: 75MI6 Agent
    I think they get Craig back for one more? Both Connery and Moore wanted to leave the role and Connery came back for DAF and Moore came back for OP and AVTAK. I see them throwing a boatload of money at him for one more.
  • SpectrevilleSpectreville United KingdomPosts: 15MI6 Agent
    It's more the lesser number of film adventures in-between, rather than elapsed years, I think ;) In the novels, Bond had a lot of missions between the deaths of Vesper and Tracy.

Exactly, this is what I meant. I didn't explain very clearly. Although Craig has been Bond for almost 10 years, his timeline doesn't seem that long because QoS takes place immediately after CR and SP not that long after SF. So another revenge story would seem lazy.

I was thinking, as a laugh, they could release Blofeld on a technicality. How much evidence do they have? His crater base is up in smoke. He would be too smart to be pictured with any of the government leaders he's controlling. C is dead. M arrested him without any authority. The old MI6 headquarters were soon to be demolished anyway. Any other witnesses he'd have killed Michael Corleone style. With a good lawyer, he'll be out by lunchtime...
    "I cannot reach what serves you for a mind." - Ernst Stavro Blofeld
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    He won't see a trial. He's a self identified specTERRORISTre. He will be in a block underground somewhere for the rest of his miserable life. Ha ha!
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    Probably. Hopefully they won't put him in Silva's old cell. That would be careless!
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    It seems like there has been a full character arc with Craig's Bond from disappointment to bitterness to resurrection to happiness.

As much as I love Craig's Bond, this is probably the right place to stop and move on to another actor.
    I suppose if the next film doesn't have Blofeld in it, they could move on to a new actor without it jarring.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Probably. Hopefully they won't put him in Silva's old cell. That would be careless!

Since C is dead, hopefully nobody else in British intelligence will take up the "careless" name. The good guys in Spectre didn't make any bad decisions, which was the theme of Craig's first three Bond films, particularly Skyfall. Hopefully they won't start doing that again.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Matt S wrote:

Since C is dead, hopefully nobody else in British intelligence will take up the "careless" name. The good guys in Spectre didn't make any bad decisions, which was the theme of Craig's first three Bond films, particularly Skyfall. Hopefully they won't start doing that again.

Hmmm, Bond blew up "half a city block" in Mexico City. Could be considered a mistake. In fact, it recalled the scene in CR where he blew up an embassy and it became an international incident, much to M's displeasure.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    We all know Bond likes a good Bang ! ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Gala Brand wrote:
    Hmmm, Bond blew up "half a city block" in Mexico City.
    HE didn't do that, SPECTRE did.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Gala Brand wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

Hmmm, Bond blew up "half a city block" in Mexico City. Could be considered a mistake. In fact, it recalled the scene in CR where he blew up an embassy and it became an international incident, much to M's displeasure.

That one was an accient and didn't seem to be Bond's intention. But I'm talking about obviously poor decisions. Blowing up the embassy in CR was not a mistake but rather a poor decision.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Matt S wrote:
    Gala Brand wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

That one was an accient and didn't seem to be Bond's intention. But I'm talking about obviously poor decisions. Blowing up the embassy in CR was not a mistake but rather a poor decision.

In Bond's defense, one less bomb maker is a good thing (as he pointed out to M).

In both cases he acted recklessly (firing into a darkened room where a bomb is located is reckless) and there were bad consequences,

And M didn't seem to accept his excuse in either case.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    The way seems pretty clear. SPECTRE- with or without Blofeld - is an international organisation threatening the governments of the world (and providing endless opportunities for good plot lines).

I personally didn't read the ending I'd SPECTRE to mean that Bond has left or retired - to me it's the equivalent of Connery's and Moore's classic final scenes ( escaping with leading lady in a boat/gondola/life-raft/space shuttle, etc) and he will be back.

And I'm pretty sure Connery/Moore acted recklessly throughout their tenure, from blowing up Russian embassies (FRWL) onwards. -{
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    It's more the lesser number of film adventures in-between, rather than elapsed years, I think ;) In the novels, Bond had a lot of missions between the deaths of Vesper and Tracy.

There are a number of nice ways that this could be handled, from flashbacks,to PTS (my favoured route, I would love to see a segment of a mission that we will never see in full) to simply M mentioning ' that business in Japan' etc. I think EON have missed a trick, in a two and a half hour movie they had the time but chose not to. They could of also managed out the bumps/plot holes/gaps if they wished. Lazy old EON.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • DutchJamesBondFanDutchJamesBondFan the NetherlandsPosts: 414MI6 Agent
    So far the DB5 and the DBS are the only cars that made their return. I'd like to see the DB10 return in a new installment. Or maybe even the DBS because I'd cost too much to make a new DB10 prototype from 3 million pounds. That kind of things keeps the continuity in the series.
    Don't confuse me with the other DutchBondFan, but be sure to follow his YouTube account. You can read my articles on James Bond Nederland: www.jamesbond.nl/author/gosse/

There are a number of nice ways that this could be handled, from flashbacks,to PTS (my favoured route, I would love to see a segment of a mission that we will never see in full) to simply M mentioning ' that business in Japan' etc. I think EON have missed a trick, in a two and a half hour movie they had the time
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • Saunders009Saunders009 Posts: 26MI6 Agent
    How about SPECTRE putting a bounty on Bond who has to dodge merciless assination attempts while hot on the trail of ESB.

I'm sure others could add some cool things to that. I also would love a future movie to be titled "Property of a Lady".

Just my 2 cents
  • Saunders009Saunders009 Posts: 26MI6 Agent
    Oh, and bring back Arnold for the score
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,569Chief of Staff
    How about SPECTRE putting a bounty on Bond who has to dodge merciless assination attempts while hot on the trail of ESB.

That's very close to the novel Nobody Lives Forever so I'm pretty sure it's a non-starter...
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:

That's very close to the novel Nobody Lives Forever so I'm pretty sure it's a non-starter...

True. Also it would be yet another rogue plot. I'm starting to wonder if Bond actually works for the British Secret Service at all. I would not be surprised if they stopped paying him and in the next movie he's living in a cardboard box under Westminster Bridge ;)
    Sir Miles wrote:

Not to mention "The Pink Panther Strikes Again."
  • IanTIanT Posts: 573MI6 Agent
    I watched SP again last night and I considered how the series might continue. When I first saw it, I was a bit unsure as to whether it brought Craig's tenure to an end or not but, having watched it again, here are my thoughts...

ESB's chopper is brought down on Westminster Bridge and he is faced by Bond. Bond refuses to shoot him and walks off to a life with Swann. As he does, ESB watches with a look of "you're going to suffer for this, I'll make you wish you had killed me."
    M walks up and detains ESB who looks a bit disinterested before turning his attention back to Bond, now in the distance. Its almost as if to say: "yeah whatever. I'll be out in no time."

I think we are going to have another two Craig outings. I think Swann is a dead woman walking and will be offed a la Tracey in the next film, and we will see the collapse of Bond.

If you think about the two great trilogies: The Dark Knight, and the original Star Wars films, the first episodes were upbeat, happy endings, the second episodes were dark and ended with the heroes in a bad place, the third resolved things.

In my opinion, we could be in for a Blofeld trilogy.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    I agree -{
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,323Chief of Staff
    Yup: +1.
  • sniperUKsniperUK UlsterPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    IanT wrote:
    I think Swann is a dead woman walking and will be offed a la Tracey in the next film, and we will see the collapse of Bond.

So he forgets to shave, loses his skills and gets pissed again, that would really be original :#
    IanT wrote:

This would be interesting. But if they do this, they need to get their act together and have a game plan. They should get back to releasing a film every 2 years again, like they used to. Or maybe film parts 2 and 3 back to back like someone else mentioned. Perhaps if they scale it back a bit, this would be possible. Waiting another 3 years for a continuing story is annoying.
  • cheldcheld Posts: 300MI6 Agent
    IanT wrote:

This would be interesting. But if they do this, they need to get their act together and have a game plan. They should get back to releasing a film every 2 years again, like they used to. Or maybe film parts 2 and 3 back to back like someone else mentioned. Perhaps if they scale it back a bit, this would be possible. Waiting another 3 years for a continuing story is annoying.

Yes part of the problem with SP's retcon of CR'06 is the time that's passed since then.
    sniperUK wrote:
    IanT wrote:
    I think Swann is a dead woman walking and will be offed a la Tracey in the next film, and we will see the collapse of Bond.

So he forgets to shave, loses his skills and gets pissed again, that would really be original :#
    I agree. In the words of the great Derek Flint, "Ladies... FORGET IT!"
  • JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    That would be bouncing between a romantic, chivalrous Bond in love and a ruthless, womanising misogynistic Bond all over again. Too boring, too formulaic. I think the producers have cornered themselves and it will take some new, creative thinking to get Bond out of this hole. The easiest way would be to leave it all behind and start with a new actor.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Jag wrote:
    That would be bouncing between a romantic, chivalrous Bond in love and a ruthless, womanising misogynistic Bond all over again. Too boring, too formulaic. I think the producers have cornered themselves and it will take some new, creative thinking to get Bond out of this hole. The easiest way would be to leave it all behind and start with a new actor.

Nah. Let's have Craig for two more :D Let the consternation and apoplexy continue!
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM