List of references (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)

Comments

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,132MI6 Agent
    I thought I'd start this as I'd like to see all the references the film made to previous Bond films/books/games/songs, wether they were intentional by the film makers or not.

Here are a few I got, feel free to add:

Bond talking to a rat - reference to DAF
    Safe House named Hildebrand - reference to The Hilebrand Rarity
    Song titled 'Writings on the wall' - possible reference to GE
    Oberhauser behind bullet proof glass - reference to TWINE
    PTS Parade - reference to LALD
    Q gets stuck being followed by henchmen - reference to the lift scene in FYEO
    009 - reference to OP

I didn't see it as Q getting stuck. I saw it as those kids saving his bacon..?
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,132MI6 Agent
    Not if we haven't had the spoilers, no.

"I came here to kill you'.
    "I thought you came here to die"

Nod to Goldfinger's classic line, acc to Mark Kermode on Film Review.

There's always a classic Villain/Bond line, and this one worked very well for me :)
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Agent LeeAgent Lee Posts: 254MI6 Agent
    The rolls Royce immediately made me think of GF. Don't know wether or not that was an intentional reference but I feel mom it had to have been
    Wish I Was at Disneyland, podcast about Disneyland, Disney news, Disney movies, Star Wars, and life in Southern California.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/wish-i-was-at-disneyland/id1202780413?mt=2
  • OrnithologistOrnithologist BerlinPosts: 584MI6 Agent
    edited November 2015
    AngusrRoss wrote:
    Train scene - FRWL

This was probably the most obvious one. Really loved it though.
    AngusrRoss wrote:
    MI6 at the end seemed a lot like Scaramangas fun house in MWTGG.

To me, this was Max Payne (the video game) most of all.

Some others:

Café Americain - Casablanca
    "Do you trust me" followed by a high altitude jump - Aladdin.
    Mr Hinx squashing this guy's eyes out - Game of Thrones

Or did we say only Bond films? :))
    "I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
    "- That is something to be afraid of."
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Pts, = every other film that has a pts
    People on screen = every other film with people in it
    Music accompanying story = Music accompanying story in every other film
    Bond walking,= other characters walking in other films
    Dialogue = Dialogue in other films
    Inclusion of locations, = use of locations in other films
    Good v evil = Good v Evil in other films
    Subtitles = Subtitles in other film
    Bond driving a car= Other films he drive a car in
    Bond kissing,= Other films he kissed in
    Bond sitting in a chair = other films he sat in a chair
    Bond firing a gun, = other films he has fired a gun
    Etc, etc,etc ........... :p
    ( This is just a joke folks, nothing more) :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    ( This is just a joke folks, nothing more)

Can't be a joke since it's all true :))
  • IanTIanT Posts: 573MI6 Agent
    I couldn't help but think that the confrontation between M and C in C's office mirrored Bond and Dryden in CR.

Right down to the pulling an empty gun and the display of removed ammunition.
    Yes. Ralph Fiennes will be the new Bond (who is getting older anyway). :p

One more:

I have a friend, Felix, who can get you out of the country (or something) - Monica Belluci & DAF
    Monica Bellucci in stockings and suspenders ! :x
    Don't know if it's been referenced, I just like thinking
    about it. :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    :))

Wearing the same thing today, TP?
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    :)) :)) :)). " It's just a step to the left ......... "
  • Unknown007Unknown007 Posts: 201MI6 Agent
    The other reference the torture scene was TWINE.
  • Agent KinoAgent Kino New YorkPosts: 202MI6 Agent
    Guys thank you so much for this topic. I was literally going through everything I saw last night and you guys compiling this made my morning. :x

EDIT: I don't think anyone referenced the scar Blofeld gets is a clear homage to Donald Pleasance's Blofeld character.
    1. Goldfinger 2. Skyfall 3. Goldeneye 4. The Spy Who Loved Me 5. OHMSS
    Check out my Instagram: @livingthebondlife
    "I never joke about my work, 007."
  • sniperUKsniperUK UlsterPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    Agent Kino wrote:
    Guys thank you so much for this topic. I was literally going through everything I saw last night and you guys compiling this made my morning. :x

EDIT: I don't think anyone referenced the scar Blofeld gets is a clear homage to Donald Pleasance's Blofeld character.

I thought more Dr Evil.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    Vertical climb of the helicopter is like the vertical climb of the plane in QoS.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited November 2015
    The shot at the end of the PTS reminded me immediately to a similar shot from TSWLM after the titles:

bildschirmfotomui7yepqhf.png

• Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Sam Mendes said at his TimesTalks interview on Wednesday that a lot more things are coincidences than intended references. We can all find things in SPECTRE that remind us of past Bond films, and pretty much every moment of that film can be compared to something from a past Bond film in some regard. And there are a lot of very obvious references. But a lot of it might just be the writers subconsciously including things they've seen in past Bond films.

I would assume Madeline Swann's mountain-top clinic is supposed to be a direct reference to Piz Gloria. They're practically the same place.

But is Bond promising Mr. White to protect his daughter to find Blofeld the same as Bond agreeing to court Tracy so Draco will tell Bond where Blofeld is? It seems like exactly the same thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not supposed to be.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Anybody else noticed the "Three Blind Mice" Bongo theme used when the end titles are playing?

Higgins wrote:
    Anybody else noticed the "Three Blind Mice" Bongo theme used when the end titles are playing?

That was the same David Arnold arrangement of the Bond theme that was written for CR and used in SF, too, right? I don't think we can count it as a reference if it was just a cut and paste from another film. But it made me glad to know that the filmmakers haven't forgotten about David Arnold.
  • James BrosnanJames Brosnan Posts: 865MI6 Agent
    The train fight really had a TSWLM vibe to me, with JAWS being more like Hinx in my opinion.

It seemed like a direct reference to DN with the clothes being put out and Bond and the girl having a formal time to meet the villian. Then, when they entered the room with the meteorite Bond said something like, "he doesn't want to give us much to look at" or something like that; this is a direct reference to the amazing underwater aquarium view in DN. Then, of course, only the voice of the villain before we see him. For me, that whole sequence is a direct reference to DN.
    "Whoever she was, I must have scared the living daylights out of her." & "Tell mother I died game."
    CR/QoS, TLD, DN, GE, TSWLM, LTK, TND, TWiNE, TMWTGG, TB
    http://www.iconicalternatives.com/author/james-brosnan/
    https://www.instagram.com/shawn.michael.bongiorno/
    The train fight really had a TSWLM vibe to me, with JAWS being more like Hinx in my opinion.

Definitely. As far as train fights go, the Hinx fight is much more of a TSWLM reference than a FRWL. Daniel even does Roger's swing kick.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,943MI6 Agent
    I thought the suicide scene was a rough adaptation of Fleming's Octopussy
    except that its a different character, Bond sits there and watches it, and he uses a gun not an octopus
    but in both cases Bond is responsible for a mans suicide

in the film Octopussy, Maud Adams character relates the events of the short story as being her fathers death, she knew Bond had given him the opportunity to kill himself rather than face justice and for some reason was grateful for this, though there's a moment in the dialog when we assume she would want revenge

the relationship between Bond and Madeleine Swann was similar to that with Maud Adams in the Octopussy film, due to the fathers suicide in both cases, and the moment where Blofeld replayed the footage of the suicide also invokes suspense as to how she's going to react when she learns how it really happened

theres a lot of both versions of Octopussy in this new film, and there's an octopus

I found the references to past films and books near continuous in SPECTRE, and as much as I loved catching them, they undermined my suspension of disbelief and distracted me from the plot

another is their arrival at the villains lair, being treated like hotel guests and told their host will meet them for dinner at a given time, that's Dr No of course
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    I'm certain that the scene where Bond tells the security guard in the clinic to "sit" is a reference to the scene in Octopussy where Bond tells the tiger to "sit."
    :)) I'd never thought of that. ( although to be a bit of an arse, he said Stay, to the guard )
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    Bond says the line 'How time flies' in both SP and DAD.
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
  • The Debonair BondThe Debonair Bond Posts: 48MI6 Agent
    Not sure If anyone else caught this, but when Bond tries to enter the SPECTRE meeting he introduces himself as "Mickey Mouse"-that seems to me like a reference to Indiana Jones and the Lost Crusade, in which Indy tries to enter a Nazi Castle in Austria and the receptionist says "Well if you are a Scottish Lord then I am Mickey Mouse!"

I'm almost certain this reference was intentional
  • HatThrowingHenchmanHatThrowingHenchman Russia With LovePosts: 1,834MI6 Agent
    the whole PTS of SP resembles the one from DAD
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Not sure If anyone else caught this, but when Bond tries to enter the SPECTRE meeting he introduces himself as "Mickey Mouse"-that seems to me like a reference to Indiana Jones and the Lost Crusade, in which Indy tries to enter a Nazi Castle in Austria and the receptionist says "Well if you are a Scottish Lord then I am Mickey Mouse!"

I'm almost certain this reference was intentional

I caught this too
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    I thought it would have been fun at the meeting when the Italian thug
    Calls Bond Mickey mouse, Bond had have said something like ....
    " No you're Dumbo !" As he throws him off the balcony. ;)
    ( As Dumbo wanted to fly)
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    Bond sees the reflection of a henchman approaching - reference to Godfnger
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)