Former SPECTRE Members (SPOILERS)

Just curious how believable everyone thought it was that Silva was a member of SPECTRE. It wasn't a stretch to imagine that Le Chiffre, Greene and the rest of Quantum were SPECTRE members, but I found myself wondering if Silva being a member of SPECTRE was a bit of a stretch. Seemed to me in SF that he was a completely independent contractor, what with all the "You could choose your own missions" shtick. I suppose it could be argued that SPECTRE was an organization that gave him the freedom to do what he wanted, and it was in Blofeld's best interest to hire someone who had a personal vendetta against M and MI6, but still...

Thoughts?
Wish I Was at Disneyland, podcast about Disneyland, Disney news, Disney movies, Star Wars, and life in Southern California.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/wish-i-was-at-disneyland/id1202780413?mt=2

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    I don't think Silva's ego allowed for him to admit to Bond that he might be working for anyone; why would he? He had personal motivations, and they worked for him.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,418Chief of Staff
    Agent Lee wrote:
    I suppose it could be argued that SPECTRE was an organization that gave him the freedom to do what he wanted, and it was in Blofeld's best interest to hire someone who had a personal vendetta against M and MI6, but still...

Thoughts?

I think you've answered your own question -{
    YNWA 97
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    Silva was his own man, possibly funded by the SPECTRE revenge department as his agenda matched their own.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • OrnithologistOrnithologist BerlinPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    Asked myself the same question, but for another reason: CR, QoS and SP are on the same timeline. I'd liked to think that Skyfall wasn't, because it has the "Is Bond too old for his job" theme, which doesn't fit at all after his first two missions. With Spectre, it is now clear that they are all direct sequels.

Once you accept that, I think, Silva as "part" or rather associate of Spectre makes perfect sense. He was a former member of an intelligence agency with psychological problems and a motive for revenge. He fit their job description perfectly. It even gives his whole "I have to kill M" plot more sense, as that really prepared the ground for the planned shake-up of British intelligence services.

What bothered me more was that there was no explanation about Quantum, which really seemed to have been set up to be it's own organization, with a leadership structure, etc... But it's okay. It can be argued that it was a sub-division of SPECTRE headed (possibly) by Mr White, which screwed up in QoS and was then discontinued, along with it's possible leader Mr White losing favor?
    "I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
    "- That is something to be afraid of."
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Spectre is a modern organisation, operating in a " Cut throat" business.
    So it is logical for it to seek out the best, that each nation has to offer.
    "Out sourcing" is an accepted business idea,used by many corporations
    so giving a contract to an " Independent " , who has a strong personal
    Goal to maximise his achievement trajectory, would have been a wise
    Business Decision. ...... It's what Lord Sugar would have done. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • IanTIanT Posts: 573MI6 Agent
    I have long thought Lord Sugar has something Spectre-ish about him
    Karen Brady his right hand woman is certainly an Irma Bunt character, in her
    Guise as The Baroness Brady, she was one of the few members of the house of
    Lords to vote " FOR" the cutting of tax payments to the poor ! :D so she's definitely
    got the credentials to be a member of Spectre. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Unknown007Unknown007 Posts: 201MI6 Agent
    Or was Quantum the name made up for SPECTRE during the period of time the producers couldn't use the name due to the legal proceedings?
    Yes, I'd say that was the case.
    Unknown007 wrote:
    Or was Quantum the name made up for SPECTRE during the period of time the producers couldn't use the name due to the legal proceedings?

Probably, but I'd like to think of a way for it to make sense inside the movies' universe. Was the organization actually ever called Quantum on screen? Might have to watch QoS again, soon.
    Greene did say " I told you everthing about Quantum" so in my mind,
    Quantum was an off shoot of Spectre, maybe specifically set up for the
    Bolivian project ? Or maybe, They didn't even know themselves. That
    Spectre was really controlling them ? :)
  • HatThrowingHenchmanHatThrowingHenchman Russia With LovePosts: 1,834MI6 Agent
    Quantum was not SPECTRE when they couldn't use it due to the legal issues, in the film Quantum gets a mention. I think TP is right, Quantum was the south-america branch/ operation of SPECTRE.
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
    In that case, Bregenz could have been a meeting of SPECTRE, with Greene just representing Quantum, and Blofeld somewhere in the audience, too clever to get up and reveal himself :o
    Oh, the speculation will be endless ( and fun) ;) I always loved Greene's speech
    About " ... If you don't believe me, then shoot me, keep the money and have a
    good night's sleep " :) very old Spectre. ;)
  • Agent KinoAgent Kino New YorkPosts: 202MI6 Agent
    I think SPECTRE has always looked for people to hire that could carry out missions against any government agency.

At the beginning, it really is hard to picture Silva working for someone. But then again, how did he fund all of his organization's work? Probably SPECTRE. Plus, he was ruthless like SPECTRE agents normally are.
    1. Goldfinger 2. Skyfall 3. Goldeneye 4. The Spy Who Loved Me 5. OHMSS
    Check out my Instagram: @livingthebondlife
    "I never joke about my work, 007."
    In that case, Bregenz could have been a meeting of SPECTRE, with Greene just representing Quantum, and Blofeld somewhere in the audience, too clever to get up and reveal himself :o

sorry to say, but I don't think so. all of the peoplewore thise Q pins so they were all SPECTRE agents {[]
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
    and when Greene, the head of QUANTUM failed with his south america operation, his "friends" (SPECTRE) killed him

sorry to say, but I don't think so. all of the peoplewore thise Q pins so they were all SPECTRE agents {[]

Do you mean they were all QUANTUM agents? :s
    Either way they were all mixed up together, probably double agents ( for Spectre)
    Working from inside. With the likes of Guy Haines, working with Max Denbigh to
    Get their world wide information network set up. ;)
    ( I quickly checked about spoilers here)

Do you mean they were all QUANTUM agents? :s

I think so. there is this scene that implies that all of these oeople get this special bag from under the table. this bag containes, as we see the Q pin, so I think that all of these people (they aren't that many) belong to the under-organisation of SPECTRE named Quantum, whose primary objective is the south-america stuff.
    Ok, got it. Makes sense. Was confused by your typo.
    Ok, got it. Makes sense. Was confused by your typo.
    oops, my bad -{
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,774MI6 Agent
    edited November 2015
    Personally, I prefer to think there are more power games at work here.

CR-06. =. Vesper and Le Chiffre are who they appear to be. Vesper works for the treasury, Le Chiffre is a corrupt financier who uses his Maths attuned intelect and gaming skills to make money by any means. Vesper bcomes unstuck by her Quantum boyfriend, Le Chiffre by his unorthadox methods. White himself makes it clear Quantum acted as a facilitator, nothing more. Gaining the winnings looks good for Quantum. Secondary member Obdrhauser however, is unimpressed. To subtle, to slow.

Post QoS. The Greene debacle exposes Quantum to an unprecedented level. The organisation is forced to go underground as key members such as Guy Haines are either captured or disappear. A series of accidents eliminate associate contacts, such as CIA Agent Beam.

Skyfall. Part of the Craig era timeline, but Silva completely exempt from previous events. His agenda was against M-Manf, and his backstory is fleshed out pretty clearly in SF. Nothing to do with Quantum. Though he has a mutual enemy in Bond.

At this time, Quantum has an internal uprising. Hard liners, fed up with the discrete approach of the Greene / Haynes / White comittee (as seen at the Tosca performance) overthrow them. All the old guard are eliminated as a cleansing measure, with only White narrowly escaping by accident. His dying of radiation poisoning speaks volumes. The new management re christen the organisation SPECTRE, which outlines its new hard fisted aproach. Obdrhauser / Blofeld who orchistrated this change is in supreme command. Hinx is a junior underling at this point. Denby, due to hus computer skills replaces Colin Mitchell as key MI5 / MI6 mole. What with MI6 having its own public issues, and the downfall of M-Manf, the timing is perfect.

The events of SP.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • SpectrevilleSpectreville United KingdomPosts: 15MI6 Agent
    I too originally thought Silva was his own boss, but I read a feature in Empire a few weeks before the film came out.
    Purvis and Wade specifically referred to Silva as SPECTRE's IT man which made me suspicious because it felt like backtracking and pretended it was your plan all along to connect the previous films' villains.
    It didn't bother me in the film. I suppose it makes sense that Silva had the help of an organisation like SPECTRE to plan his elaborate capture and escape from MI6.
    "I cannot reach what serves you for a mind." - Ernst Stavro Blofeld
    " Silva as SPECTRE's IT man" {[]

I love to see the scene when Blofeld calls him up with a problem and
    Silva asks him if " He's tried switching it off and on again ?" :D
    Although it all helps to tie up the past stories and Characters.
  • SpectrevilleSpectreville United KingdomPosts: 15MI6 Agent
    Yeah, Silva is not the guy I'd want to call if I forgot my password!
    "I cannot reach what serves you for a mind." - Ernst Stavro Blofeld
    :)) :)) :))
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,774MI6 Agent
    I too originally thought Silva was his own boss, but I read a feature in Empire a few weeks before the film came out.
    Purvis and Wade specifically referred to Silva as SPECTRE's IT man which made me suspicious because it felt like backtracking and pretended it was your plan all along to connect the previous films' villains.
    It didn't bother me in the film. I suppose it makes sense that Silva had the help of an organisation like SPECTRE to plan his elaborate capture and escape from MI6.

If its not in the film, it doesn't count. Purvis and Wade show bad wishful thinking flannel there. Hopefully the end result proves they were in the minority. If you try to tie every single thing together, the credibility falls apart. Qos and SF prevent that, as Quantum has significant differences to SPECTRE and we see Silva's server room in SF. He prides himself on his resourcefulness and ability to survive. In a sharp contrast Spectre has an army of digital gurus that answer to Blofeld as well as insipid plant Denbigh.

I think all the Craig films are better as they are, leaving elements open to interpretation. Our interpretation! :)
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent

If its not in the film, it doesn't count. Purvis and Wade show bad wishful thinking flannel there. Hopefully the end result proves they were in the minority. If you try to tie every single thing together, the credibility falls apart. Qos and SF prevent that, as Quantum has significant differences to SPECTRE and we see Silva's server room in SF. He prides himself on his resourcefulness and ability to survive. In a sharp contrast Spectre has an army of digital gurus that answer to Blofeld as well as insipid plant Denbigh.

I think all the Craig films are better as they are, leaving elements open to interpretation. Our interpretation! :)

So do you accept that Silva is a SPECTRE agent? Going by Skyfall alone, it's assumed he's his own boss. Then Spectre retcons him as a SPECTRE agent working for Blofeld.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits