SPECTRE vs Mission Impossible

CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
I have not seen SPECTRE yet. Unfortunately, I am now at the age where fighting the crowds and lines and then on top of it having to get in early enough to get a good seat THEN sit through the torture of the ads for Coke (it almost seems like they own the theater chains) and other dribble then through another ten to fifteen minutes of deafening trailers is too overwhelming anymore. Add on top of that sitting through a long film and I end up usually killing off half of my day on a weekend (and I still work). Though I'm going to be waiting till next weekend to see the film so I'll won't have to battle the premier crowds, I do know enough about the film to be aware of how it seems to me to be very similar to Rogue Nation, which
I finally saw last night at an inexpensive cinema that shows films after their initial run ( I just never had the chance to get to it when it came out.). I left home, drove to the theater, bought the ticket and was in my seat all within fifteen minutes. There were only about a dozen people in that room and I didn't have to suffer through watching someone texting in front of me during the non action scenes in the film.

I was wondering for those of you who have seen SPECTRE how you compare the two given the fact that the plots are similar - two global criminal groups who know everything the spy agencies are doing, lots of travel with similar stops (London, North Africa), the Bond - like stunts in the chases, a villain being inside the spy network, etc.

I enjoyed MI a lot. I could mention the over the top action scenes where the good spies always win in physical fights and never seem to be hurt much or that they hit every villain with one shot and never miss (and the villains always seem to be able to be taken down unrealistically with only one shot) - but then they're just entertainment like the Bond series so I have to let that slide.

I did enjoy the plot and the twist in it. The location work was well done and there was plenty of sly humor in it (especially the Benji character - he really adds the human dimension to it).

Christopher McQuarrie wrote (with some help) and directed MI. Would he make a good Bond director/writer?

Looking at MI and SPECTRE purely as action/entertainment, which do you think works better?

Comments

• Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Spectre is a more mature film. The action is better in M:I, but the story is more complex in Spectre. The clear edge Spectre has is in the visuals. The sets and locations are fantastic, and they are beautifully filmed. Daniel Craig's Bond films have been missing the fantastic locations and Spectre makes up for all of them.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits