Did Franz have any real motivations? (SPOILERS)

2»

Comments

• HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,743MI6 Agent
    I think he'll be back also, along with Mr. Hinx. All this discussion regarding how realistic Blofeld's motivation to hate Bond, murder his father etc can be summed up simply: Blofeld is a crazy, meglomaniac, evil genius Bond villain. They do stuff like that. :) -{
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    " a crazy, meglomaniac, evil genius Bond villain" .... you say that like it's a bad thing ! :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HatThrowingHenchmanHatThrowingHenchman Russia With LovePosts: 1,834MI6 Agent
    I think Mr.Hinx could easily be back, but I doubt they will do so along with Blofeld since the cast would be the same then (roughly)
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    I agree that the Blofeld motivation/childhood angle seemed to be awkward.

But it didn't have to be!

Maybe just 60 seconds of dialogue between Bond and Blofeld in which Blofeld gave an actual example of how he felt betrayed by his father would've gone a long way to explaining his motivation, something that anybody could understand as being very hurtful.

In SF, Silva had an actual reason to hate M. We don't get that in SP.
  • DutchJamesBondFanDutchJamesBondFan the NetherlandsPosts: 414MI6 Agent
    It would surprise me if Mr. Hinx just break in the jail and bends the iron of Blofelds cel, just like Jaws could have done in the past ;)
    Don't confuse me with the other DutchBondFan, but be sure to follow his YouTube account. You can read my articles on James Bond Nederland: www.jamesbond.nl/author/gosse/
  • Absolutely_CartAbsolutely_Cart NJ/NYC, United StatesPosts: 1,740MI6 Agent
    I have an idea for what they should have did with Blofeld.

Make Franz Obenhauser a CEO of a Private Military Corporation called Octave. But he died 20 years ago just after the company was indicted for corruption (because of competitors trying to take over). And then it's revealed half-way into the movie that he faked his death and became Blofeld.
    For whatever its warts are, it's a much more sinister believable way to introduce Blofeld.
  • Lady IceLady Ice Posts: 279MI6 Agent
    I thought it was a bit cheesy although I guess it explains why he wants to ruin Bond as well as world domination. I feel though that unless they're going to have some ambiguity (Bond being colder/more unlikeable as a child or having done something to Blofeld that would be a stronger catalyst for hating him). Because we can't see how Bond was treated in comparison to Blofeld as a child then the motivation will never have his full power.

IMO GE created a believable motivation for Alec, who had a genuine reason to want revenge against Bond and to commit treason. 'Sibling' jealousy is far too nebulous a motivation; there needed to be a 'moment' that acted as a catalyst for these feelings in order to give the personal agenda some thrust.