SPECTRE Ring theory

SpangledWebSpangledWeb Station P, USAPosts: 24MI6 Agent
One of the (many) inane things I've heard people complain about is the ring, and how Q gleans all he does from it. Clearly, he would be working off of DNA and/or fingerprint samples in the MI6 database.

What if SPECTRE has a similar process for its members to move up as MI6 does to become a 00 Agent? Let's say the ring is passed from assassin to assassin when each one moves up. After watching CR again, you can't tell whether Mr. White is wearing a ring on his right hand when he shoots Le Chiffre or not - so he obviously must have been ;) By the time of the events in SPECTRE, MI6 has DNA samples of White & Le Chiffre. We should assume that Mr. White checked Le Chiffre's vital signs after shooting him to confirm that he was dead. It's not such a leap to think some of Le Chiffre's blood/DNA could rub off on the ring.

After Mr. White moves up, maybe he passed the ring to Mr. Hinx (who wore it as a pinky ring, I assume). We know that Dominic Greene was killed by two shots to the head. We also know Mr. Hinx uses a double-barrel pistol. A double-tap to the head would be messy, indeed, and could easily transfer some DNA.

I can't remember if the ring provides information about Silva, but he could have been a SPECTRE assassin before Skyfall. He then would pass the ring to Sciarra, who was in the process of trying to kill a stadium-full of people when he met Bond.

As for Oberhauser, the leader of SPECTRE might have been involved in a ritual of sorts to transfer the ring from assassin to assassin. How MI6 would have his information is, of course, classified :007)

Like the subject line says, it's just a theory. Anybody else have one?

Comments

• welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    I prob would have preferred if it was just Blofelds DNA on it to be honest (maybe he gives out the ring during initiation). Having Greene / Le Chiffe / Silva etc on it was a bit of a push regardless of theories. Especially Le Chiffe who is further down the chain
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • Willard WhyteWillard Whyte Posts: 166MI6 Agent
    What if various people kissed the ring like they do in Mafia films, and the dna just matched files M16 had.
    I smell a rat
  • am747am747 Posts: 720MI6 Agent

The ring is crafted with a special mark or hologram or image with embedded information. When analyzed with the right tools, the ring gives the required information -{ .... This quality is what makes those rings special
  • IanTIanT Posts: 573MI6 Agent
    It's a plot quirk that I wasn't happy with.

The ring would have been washed so many times that I doubt any DNA of use would be left on it.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    For me, it's simply a bit of movie " shorthand" to move the story along. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • TennysonTennyson A View to a KillPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    If Hinx used that double barrelled pistol on Dominic Greenes head, there would be nothing left! Did you see the holes it punched in the plane!
    One of the (many) inane things I've heard people complain about is the ring, and how Q gleans all he does from it. Clearly, he would be working off of DNA and/or fingerprint samples in the MI6 database.

What if SPECTRE has a similar process for its members to move up as MI6 does to become a 00 Agent? Let's say the ring is passed from assassin to assassin when each one moves up. After watching CR again, you can't tell whether Mr. White is wearing a ring on his right hand when he shoots Le Chiffre or not - so he obviously must have been ;) By the time of the events in SPECTRE, MI6 has DNA samples of White & Le Chiffre. We should assume that Mr. White checked Le Chiffre's vital signs after shooting him to confirm that he was dead. It's not such a leap to think some of Le Chiffre's blood/DNA could rub off on the ring.

After Mr. White moves up, maybe he passed the ring to Mr. Hinx (who wore it as a pinky ring, I assume). We know that Dominic Greene was killed by two shots to the head. We also know Mr. Hinx uses a double-barrel pistol. A double-tap to the head would be messy, indeed, and could easily transfer some DNA.

I can't remember if the ring provides information about Silva, but he could have been a SPECTRE assassin before Skyfall. He then would pass the ring to Sciarra, who was in the process of trying to kill a stadium-full of people when he met Bond.

As for Oberhauser, the leader of SPECTRE might have been involved in a ritual of sorts to transfer the ring from assassin to assassin. How MI6 would have his information is, of course, classified :007)

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent
    My theory is after the events of CR, QoS and Skyfall, MI-6 concluded the villains were all members of Quantum. During the events of Spectre it comes out that Quantum is a tentacle of Spectre and all info related to Quantum goes into a Spectre file. Maybe it's James Bonds kill file or work file that links all the cases he's worked on. When Q puts the ring on that Laptop pad DNA thingy, Q has opened James Bonds file, inputs that James found the ring on a Quantum agent and all the past files come up.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,774MI6 Agent
    I almost like that, as Q2 intimates and Bond confirms he is the connecting element to the lot. White clearly balks at what Spectre is, which is enough of a connection to link it to Quantum indirectly.

Personally I am sticking to my theory that Spectre in the Craig films is the Phoenix from Quantum's ashes. Setting aside that CR-06 is my favourite Bond film so it comes first, as Pussy noted the ring is a film shorthand muguffin. One the writers designed to tie everything up with a garrotte like ribbon.
    I also feel the excellent Bond meets White scene and what we see at L'American supports the coup de-tat idea better than everyone "conveniently" having worked for Blofeld!
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • Penfold HeartPenfold Heart Posts: 159MI6 Agent
    Mr Martini wrote:
    My theory is after the events of CR, QoS and Skyfall, MI-6 concluded the villains were all members of Quantum. During the events of Spectre it comes out that Quantum is a tentacle of Spectre and all info related to Quantum goes into a Spectre file. Maybe it's James Bonds kill file or work file that links all the cases he's worked on. When Q puts the ring on that Laptop pad DNA thingy, Q has opened James Bonds file, inputs that James found the ring on a Quantum agent and all the past files come up.

This was my take on it.
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    I think it's supposed to be that the agents are replaced and the ring gets passed around. Hinx is replacing Sciarra, so.....

However, it was a bit far fetched that coincidentally the only people who have had this ring are people who Bond has faced. And I also didn't like that when the matches came up on Q's computer, they was on a screen with the SPECTRE logo! X-( ?:)
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
  • SkippySkippy Posts: 446MI6 Agent
    Errr, did I miss something in the cinema ?:)

I was under the impression that when Q scanned the ring he was downloading embedded information recorded there by SPECTRE, hence the logo and all the images of their agents including ESB. Basically the ring was an advanced flash drive / USB stick.

Or was my imagination joining dots that weren't there???
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    Little known fact is that Sciarra was also a Dr and he preformed a prostate examination on SPECTRE members, that is why the ring has all of the different DNA on it :D
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Ah thats a better theory!! :))
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    I think you've put your finger in...... Sorry ON it ! :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    1740527_zpslfv1yplj.jpeg
    The famous deleted scene. :D
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    Skippy wrote:
    Errr, did I miss something in the cinema ?:)

I was under the impression that when Q scanned the ring he was downloading embedded information recorded there by SPECTRE, hence the logo and all the images of their agents including ESB. Basically the ring was an advanced flash drive / USB stick.

Or was my imagination joining dots that weren't there???

No, that is implied clearly in the dialogue. Embedded information in the ring.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,324MI6 Agent
    edited November 2015
    Which dialogue? Why would these guys walk around with a ring that exposes their entire operation? I saw Q's analysis start to look at partial fingerprints on the thing, but I don't recall any dialogue explaining it. The script is super vague on this front. Q attaches a "spectrum analyzer" to examine the "stone's constituents", but then pulls up Mr. White's file and "cross references it with the materials in the ring."
  • Chri360936Chri360936 Posts: 54MI6 Agent
    It took me three viewings to think I finally understand it. It bothered me a lot the first time since it seemed a cheap way to bring a lot of important info that was needed without any logic behind it. Here's my theory:

The first thing Q does is scan it for fingerprints, and the prints it shows, if I remember correctly, are all people we, the viewers saw touch the ring, including Mr. White.

Further on, he does what looks like a metallurgical analysis on the ring. He then cross references that with "autopsy, toxicology" reports. It then identifies Greene, Silva, LeChiffre having the same metal traces on them at time of death. MI6 already knew there was some connection between Greene and White and also between White and LeChiffre. Silva is a tougher one to tie in, except he had the same metal on his skin during the autopsy.

This explains why Q thinks they are all part of the same organization (all wore that kind of ring) but didn't know the organization's name.

Chris
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Cool. -{
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • Chri360936Chri360936 Posts: 54MI6 Agent
    https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/3sjlye/empire_magazine_spectre_spoiler_special_podcast/cwxre0p

I hadn't read this when i posted my theory above, but here you are. Mendes explains the ring.
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    Chri360936 wrote:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/3sjlye/empire_magazine_spectre_spoiler_special_podcast/cwxre0p

I hadn't read this when i posted my theory above, but here you are. Mendes explains the ring.

Interesting, although even if that was explains din the film I doubt many people would actually understand. I onky understand it becacause it's written out, I'd be useless with that if Q had just said it!
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
  • SkippySkippy Posts: 446MI6 Agent
    Ah-ha, well that explains that -{

And at least we now know the cat is still alive and licking :D
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,774MI6 Agent
    Oh good - that means I can stick to my theory. - Mendes has effectively allowed the audience to interpret things for themselves by omitting any specific techy dialogue by Q2 from the ring scan! Better yet, even if the dialogue had been there, its STILL disconnected implication! Delicious! I wonder if the Quantum Q lapel pins were also made of Iridium?

As to M-Manf suspecting there being one person at the top of it all, QoS made it clear that was NOT the case. She fires off frustrated questions at Bond while in Mitchell's flat that make it clear that she (well they) has no idea what Quantum was about at that point. Even with Greene blabbing the Tosca scene implies an organisation led by committee. Something Spectre is def not. - When Blofeld arrives in the Board room scenes, a ripple of fear, mixed with anticipation goes through the room.)
    We can't account Skyfall here at all, because there is no reference to the previous two films. Its all about M-Manf and her history with Silva with a bit about Bond's childhood added on. I suppose we could argue that M-Manf is clearly loosing touch, as she did make some elementary errors. - The data on a laptop and not pulling out the agents beofre their cover was blown

So the meteorite was supposed to be more than symbolic "hammer into anvil" waffle? That one sailed right past me!

C did feel like a paired down character. I like Andrew Scott as an actor, but C as a character post revelation, seems to have trouble distinguishing if he is a big bad or a lackey! I blame the writing.

Pussy - (I mention this here, because the SABS is still a Spoiler free zone)
    I'll bring in a large steak for Holly later on. I am about to take her for a walk and I know she be relieved Blofeld's cat survived the blast. Even if it is a baddie. However now she will worry it might return looking like Mr Bigglesworth!
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,651MI6 Agent
    Had my 2nd viewing of SP today and there are still some parts of the SP ring analysis that isn't clear. I also read again Mendes' response about this, so here's what I got...the toxicology must be from the autopsies of the SP members Bond killed from the previous 3 movies and the ring's unique metal shows up on it, I get that. Then, after Q refuted Bond's claim that Franz is still alive, he then confirms that indeed he is and having gone into this new premise, I get too that whatever intelligence is at Q's disposal aids him in making the connections between Mr. White, LeChiffre, Green et al. to an organization named Spectre, headed by Franz Oberhauser. It's at the point when DNA is mentioned where the confusion begins.

I understand the possibility of obtaining Oberhauser's DNA from a point before his supposed death. But because Q's "DNA confirmation" is the proof that the Franz Oberhauser that heads Spectre is one and the same as Bond's foster brother, my question is, how would anyone have gotten DNA from Oberhauser from the period after his staged death? Considering Spectre is in the business of superior surveilance and intelligence gathering, allowing that to happen, let alone allowing this DNA information to continue to exist in anyone's record system, is sloppy.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....