The worst practical effects in Bond

Comments

• Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the helicopter crash after the bike chase in TND - tpyou can tell it's a model, the figures don't even move!

I thought that was really well done.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the helicopter crash after the bike chase in TND - tpyou can tell it's a model, the figures don't even move!

Can a helicopter even hover at that angle at such a low speed? It reminded me of a stunt show at Universal Studios.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Ah, but we are all looking at this with 21st Century eyes. Back in the 60s, audiences were conditioned to the limitations of film at the time and were a lot more forgiving. When I first saw the Bond films they were state-of-the-art and the back projection (say, the car chase in DN or the pool scenes in GF) went unnoticed. TB was spectacular, YOLT even more so.
    Today we are used to watching these films (and their contemporaries) at home, while at the time of release they were a communal experience to audiences used to the conventions of their time, whose jaw would drop when (say) the volcano opened to admit a rocket ship.

Im with Barbel on this ,we shouldn't be looking at technics with 21st century goggles on .Back in the 60s most peoples vision of the outside world ,would be from books or if you was lucky ,a colour mag in a DRs waiting room .For people such as my mum and dad ,seeing beaches in Jamaica on the big screen along with images of glamorous places around the world ,would have been enough to distract the eye from bad CGI .It was utter escape-ism from a post war Britain .A week at Butlins at best ,would have been the nearest my parents could muster .Dad doing his best to look like Ronald Coleman and mum in her Hedy Lamarr perm :D ordering a pint of light and bitter and a babycham for mum ,was as near as they could get to looking like film stars ,(sorry ive seem to have gone a bit off course here ) :) :) :)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • thenoisydrumthenoisydrum Posts: 84MI6 Agent
    What about Rog holding onto Zorin's Zeppelin? Firstly the close-up in the studio of Rog looks absolutely nothing like the stunt double in the scene before and secondly it just looks ridiculous - and sounds ridiculous with Rog giving out one of his all too familiar "aaarrrgghh" noises. Plus he just looks like an old man that can barely hold on!!

It's almost like a piss take
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,296MI6 Agent
    It's a doll hanging from Zorins blimp :v
  • JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent

I watched the movie recently on Blu-ray and 140 cbm TV screen, and didn't even notice. Always thought it was a life-size helicopter, with just the rotor effect added.
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:

Can a helicopter even hover at that angle at such a low speed? It reminded me of a stunt show at Universal Studios.

I'm not talking about the helicopter hovering - I'm talking about when the helicopter crashes into the building and explodes. I did make that pretty clear originally.
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Oh that looked fine. -{
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    chrisisall wrote:
    Oh that looked fine. -{

Agreed. I never noticed anything off in that scene.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    superado wrote:

I'm not talking about the helicopter hovering - I'm talking about when the helicopter crashes into the building and explodes. I did make that pretty clear originally.

I'm talking about the helicopter hovering; I didn't say anything to indicate that you were not talking about the helicopter crash. I knew what you said.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,349Chief of Staff
    AA_OLD_MAN_3.jpg
  • Rainier WolfcastleRainier Wolfcastle Posts: 484MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:

I always thought it was not possible, and that's what some guy on
    http://www.rotaryaction.com/pages/tomnvdies.html has to say about the scene:

The 'buzzsaw alley' stunt in Tomorrow Never Dies deserves a special mention as the most blatantly inaccurate portrayal of helicopter flight - of all time - in a big-budget movie. In this scene, the chopper pitches over forward more than 20 degrees (nose down, tail up) without moving forward (impossible), then slowly proceeds to chop up wood and pieces of debris without damaging its rotor blades (also impossible) and continues to move forward very slowly as it chases Bond!

In reality, the helicopter would have accelerated forward as soon as its nose began to pitch downwards. (A helicopter cannot hover if it is pitched at an angle other than approximately level, in normal weather conditions.) The sequence insults the intelligence of anyone who knows anything about how a helicopter flies, and gives away the fact that it was almost certainly a life-size mechanical mock-up, perhaps combined with miniature effects, and definitely not a real helicopter.

That ruined the whole movie for me, because after that I could no longer suspend disbelief, and I felt like I was looking at a 'live-action' cartoon instead. - LOUIS GONZALEZ

But then take a look at this documentary about the MBB Bo 105 (not the TND Eurocopter but seen in AVTAK and Spectre). There is a stunt where the 105 is tail-up at about 60° and not moving forward! - It is however flying sideways in a circle. Quite likely that the circle was the only option to demonstrate this ability, and keeping the heli over the same spot was indeed not possible.
    But the fact remains that the heli is not moving forward despite the high angle. So TND may not be perfectly realistic but closer to the real abilities of helicopters than many would think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeZ-D-6xNyo

22:09-22:23 min
    But the fact remains that the heli is not moving forward despite the high angle. So TND may not be perfectly realistic but closer to the real abilities of helicopters than many would think.

Ranier, you are my hero! {[]
    chrisisall wrote:

Ditto!!! {[]
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    superado wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

Ditto!!! {[]

I've been banging on about that here for a decade, haha! :)) It's just freaking highly unlikely, especially in a narrow street, where sideways naturally isn't an option. I've always had a problem with it---nearly on a level with LTK's wheelie-poppin' big rig 8-)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    I've always had a problem with it---nearly on a level with LTK's wheelie-poppin' big rig 8-)
    Bond is about the nearly-impossible made possible.
    If you want Impossible made possible watch Ethan Hunt movies.... :))
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    chrisisall wrote:
    I've always had a problem with it---nearly on a level with LTK's wheelie-poppin' big rig 8-)
    Bond is about the nearly-impossible made possible.
    If you want Impossible made possible watch Ethan Hunt movies.... :))

My problem is that these things (like blatant, gratuitous slapstick) take me completely out of the moment; one reason why Sir Rog suffers so in my rankings. To each his own, naturally -{
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • KucherovKucherov ChinaPosts: 25MI6 Agent
    Without reading the thread I can tell you that the worst effect in Bond is Kananga's death in Live and Let Die. An embarrassing blemish on a super fun film. I'd have much preferred if they simply had Bond turn the knife on him and gut him in the water. They were desperate to use that "inflated opinion" line, methinks.

-{
    -{
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Welcome Kucherov -{ , Agreed, it looked very bad.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • KucherovKucherov ChinaPosts: 25MI6 Agent
    Welcome Kucherov -{ , Agreed, it looked very bad.

Thanks for the welcome - and how nice that you were able to reach 50,000 posts with it!
    -{
    edited June 2016
    http://www.ajb007.co.uk/post/826775/#p826775
    You might like you give a short introduction here, just to give an idea of favourite Bond, book, film
    etc, a way of saying Hello. :)

( on the number of posts )
    I like to keep it up ! :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Kucherov wrote:
    Without reading the thread I can tell you that the worst effect in Bond is Kananga's death in Live and Let Die. An embarrassing blemish on a super fun film. I'd have much preferred if they simply had Bond turn the knife on him and gut him in the water. They were desperate to use that "inflated opinion" line, methinks.

-{

It's up against some stiff competition.... And welcome of course.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    The thing about LALD is not the idea, but the execution. He didn't need to inflate and burst out of the water to the ceiling. It would have been much better if he simply exploded in the water.
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
    Yes, just have a red colour in exploding water, like the red snow in OHMSS.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent
    Kucherov wrote:

-{

Yes, it's got Tom Mankiewicz written all over it. :D
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • PRBPRB Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    Just about the most horrible miniature effect I've ever seen in any film is when the rocket sled in DAD shoots off the edge of the ice, is arrested by the anchor and then slams down into the vertical face. Not only is it a crap tiny-looking model but the impact wouldn't even be survivable without at least severe spinal injury. And then, to add insult to (non-)injury we get that bloody awful cgi para-surfing stuff. To this day I regret spending money to see that dogs dinner at the cinema X-(
    PRB wrote:
    the impact wouldn't even be survivable without at least severe spinal injury.
    But sir, you seem to forget.... he's Bond! :))
    Kucherov wrote:

-{

Yes, it's got Tom Mankiewicz written all over it. :D

The Mr. Big death sequences in the novel and movie are like night and day, I wonder how Fleming would have felt had he visited the LALD set when that effect was being done?
    One of the most pointless special effects was adding the letter J to Moneypenny's
    Thank you note. :D
  • JellyfishJellyfish EnglandPosts: 465MI6 Agent
    One of the most pointless special effects was adding the letter J to Moneypenny's
    Thank you note. :D

Perhaps the pen ran out after the 'thank you' and no-one on set had another one?

Mendes: "Anyone? Anyone!? $300million for this film and no-one's got a bloody biro!?"
    Wilson: "Sam, calm down! We're getting $50million off Heineken, that'll pay for enough CGI for the curly bit of the J, and the $70million from Omega will pay for the top bar!"